You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Free Signing ?

Mark M

So I've always had this as Gary Mac as I loved him when he signed for us and he won about 5 Trophies in a 12 month period.

But 'Big Game James' has just been involved in number 6 so is that Milner now set in stone as our greatest ever free signing or am I missing any other players ?

Milner is better in my opinion, as much as I love Gary Mac. Milner in Klopps first season created 14 assists in the second half of the season and was imperative in our run to the Europa League final. The next season he was one of the best left backs in the league. Then the season after he broke the all time highest assists total in Champions League history. Then the season after that he wins the Champions League.

Just a magnificent player and a big catalyst for our resurgence in terms of his work rate and mentality on and off the pitch.

• Upvote 10

Babbel was a personal favourite of mine but it has got to be James Milner. He’s a very good footballer, is a fantastic leader, very consistent, genuinely versatile (he’s played what... five positions for us?), doesn’t get injured, doesn’t miss penalties. Love him.

• Upvote 1

Milner just ahead Gary Mac. Only just though. Both very similar in their attitude and approach. Both big game players. Proper grown up footballers. Jim’s versatility edges it ahead of the never to be forgotten last minute winner from Macca against the super blues. 

Babbels a good  shout. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, corro said:

Milner just ahead Gary Mac. Only just though. Both very similar in their attitude and approach. Both big game players. Proper grown up footballers. Jim’s versatility edges it ahead of the never to be forgotten last minute winner from Macca against the super blues. 

Babbels a good  shout. 

I'd agree with all of this.

What is also true is that we should have signed Gary Mac in the mid 90's instead of ending up with the the likes of Ince and Leonhardsen, he was always a top quality player and would have been a great influence on the squad both on and off the pitch. 

11 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

And Fowler on his return. Should never have gone in the first place.

It was right for him to go in all honestly. I was holding out hope he'd fail the medical on the night but the Robbie we saw in his first three years was done. Never looked the same after doing his knee. Still a good finisher but totally wrong for our set up at the time. The issue was signing that bad tit Diouf and not keeping Anelka. And having to wait a extra year for Cisse didn't help either as he would hablve been far better suited to Houllier than Rafa

Was Sean Dundee free? If so it was him. How much was Titi Camara? And how much was Voronin? You don't get many of them to the pound.

Gary Mac just ahead of Big Game James for now, purely on account of the number of trophies we won in those 2 years. With Milner, we've reached 4 cup finals and won one, as well as having a stunning league campaign that we'd have certainly clinched under normal circumstances. Babbel was excellent up until his illness. I'd say Matip is just behind those three. We never saw enough of Litmanen, and Fowler was nowhere near as good upon his return as he'd been when he made his breakthrough.

The worst is probably Cole. Already way past his best (even though he wasn't that old at the time), and an expensive contract which meant we struggled to shift him on without taking a massive hit in the finances.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Was Sean Dundee free? If so it was him. How much was Titi Camara? And how much was Voronin? You don't get many of them to the pound.

Wolf Man was definitely a Bosman. Pretty sure Dundee and Titi commanded fees. Im gonna throw in Erik Meijer as he hasnt had a mention yet.