You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

29 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Classy stuff from Ferguson that. A winner knows a winner.

Well apart from the time he encouraged the Mancs to name David Moyes as his successor.

But he was a winner.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

Classy stuff from Ferguson that. A winner knows a winner.

Well apart from the time he encouraged the Mancs to name David Moyes as his successor.

But he was a winner.

As far as I’m concerned, that was his last great move as Man Utd manager.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Jurgen only had nice words for furguson but ferguson has to slip in 16 years leeds in the championship and Liverpool 30 years since winning the league.

Once a twat, always a twat.

He's got to play up to the Manc gallery, he cant be seen to be to OTT in praise for us. 

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Jurgen only had nice words for furguson but ferguson has to slip in 16 years leeds in the championship and Liverpool 30 years since winning the league.

Once a twat, always a twat.

I’m inclined to think it wasn’t meant in that way; he experienced first hand the significance of ending a ridiculously long wait for a title, after all. 

• Upvote 1

I have to agree that I don't think it was intended as such. Remember the Mancs had waited 26 years before Fergie won his first title as manager of them and you could see the relief on him when they did it so I just think he was relating to the pressure Klopp was under and the expectation. 

Plus I'm sure Fergie appreciates a club going about winning the league the right way rather than the cheats down the road. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Anubis said:

To be honest, I thought Chris Wilder was a good shout. Yes, Jürgen is a worthy winner, but I think Wilder would have deserved it also for what he’s done with Sheffield Utd this season and last.

Nuno Esperito Santo says hello. 

9 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

I have to agree that I don't think it was intended as such. Remember the Mancs had waited 26 years before Fergie won his first title as manager of them and you could see the relief on him when they did it so I just think he was relating to the pressure Klopp was under and the expectation. 

Plus I'm sure Fergie appreciates a club going about winning the league the right way rather than the cheats down the road. 

Yes,having Sky owning a share in your club,a company who own the tv rights to your league and getting referees who you don't want removed from doing your games and gazumping the league when a target becomes available because nobody else can buy them is the right way to win the league! Ferguson sowed what Chelsea and City have reaped. Glad to see him healthy but he was an absolute cunt as a manager.

• Upvote 2

Unlikely as it is in this era of state funded mega-wealth (and, let’s be honest, even if hit were, no manager will ever again spend so long at a top level club) there are parallels with Ferguson that bode well for the future, and I can see why Klopp so clearly admires him. 

Regardless of how it’s expressed, there’s a similar hatred of defeat that manifests itself in the team not wanting to give up while there’s still something at stake. Ferguson’s side tossed away a golden opportunity to win a first title in losing out to Leeds. Look at the way we missed out last season; even against a team as ridiculously gilded as Man City, I think most of us would agree that we should have won it - even after the Etihad defeat, it was in our hands and we lost out due to silly draws against risible teams like Everton. I never used to think Ferguson’s Utd teams looked invincible, and, in fact, used to take heart from the way they would often appear vulnerable, but in spite of apparent frailty they usually found a fucking way, winning games by a single goal with maddening frequency (I believe they set a still unbroken record for that when fending us off in 2008/09).

I also don’t think it’s fully appreciated how difficult it is to build something if immediate success isn’t forthcoming; no, it didn’t take as long but five years at a club before winning a first league title is the longest any title winning manager has gone since Ferguson himself - it usually happens early or not at all. In the intervening period I think the only other manager to win a maiden league title beyond his first full season with the club in question was Kenny Dalglish. That’s not bad company to find yourself in.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Unlikely as it is in this era of state funded mega-wealth (and, let’s be honest, even if hit were, no manager will ever again spend so long at a top level club) there are parallels with Ferguson that bode well for the future, and I can see why Klopp so clearly admires him. 

Regardless of how it’s expressed, there’s a similar hatred of defeat that manifests itself in the team not wanting to give up while there’s still something at stake. Ferguson’s side tossed away a golden opportunity to win a first title in losing out to Leeds. Look at the way we missed out last season; even against a team as ridiculously gilded as Man City, I think most of us would agree that we should have won it - even after the Etihad defeat, it was in our hands and we lost out due to silly draws against risible teams like Everton. I never used to think Ferguson’s Utd teams looked invincible, and, in fact, used to take heart from the way they would often appear vulnerable, but in spite of apparent frailty they usually found a fucking way, winning games by a single goal with maddening frequency (I believe they set a still unbroken record for that when fending us off in 2008/09).

I also don’t think it’s fully appreciated how difficult it is to build something if immediate success isn’t forthcoming; no, it didn’t take as long but five years at a club before winning a first league title is the longest any title winning manager has gone since Ferguson himself - it usually happens early or not at all. In the intervening period I think the only other manager to win a maiden league title beyond his first full season with the club in question was Kenny Dalglish. That’s not bad company to find yourself in.

Good post. Low tide? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

In the intervening period I think the only other manager to win a maiden league title beyond his first full season with the club in question was Kenny Dalglish. That’s not bad company to find yourself in.

Correction: Guardiola won it in his second full season with City. Even in their pomp, there is something inherently forgettable about his cabal of mercenaries.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Not one League Cup? Not even fucking one? The continued refusal to take that competition seriously is a disgrace and is the reason I’ve hated Klopp since 2039. 

Guardiola will win 24 League Cups for Manchester City over the same period, and will reach the last four of the Champions League on three occasions.