You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dropped into the Jurgen Klopp thread on Red Café to have a bit (lot) of a gloat and stumbled upon this:

There's a lot of worry on here about Liverpool's rebuilding "problem", which smacks of trying to divert attention from the current (real) problem of having a Liverpool side that are easing themselves into their first PL trophy for 30 years...

The news doesn't get better for those who don't like 'pool. When they played their kids (who were well and truly beaten against Villa, and who did surprisingly well against Everton), we finally got some public insight about how the internals are all set up. The kids regularly play the first team in training, and they're apparently ahead this year. Each "kid" is groomed to slot into a specific place in the first team, semi-regularly trains with the guy who holds that place (and those that normally sit on the bench) and gets familiar with the style of play and requirements he'd need to step up and claim it for himself. Playing against the guy who's holding that place down gives a clear idea of where the kid is, relatively speaking. Klopp knows where he needs reinforcements and where he can develop internally.

It's not radical stuff, I'm sure loads of clubs do it, but it's apparently new for Liverpool - before Klopp the kids (generally) trained separately, and only the coaches regularly met. This whole philosophy of progressively stepping up from young age to old, with *specific* goals and targets is new, at least to Liverpool.

And here, I can offer some insight that isn't often made publicly available. My kid (10 going on 11) is in one of the Liverpool academy over here in the US in the Bay Area, CA. In 2016 when Liverpool came over to play their Summer tour, they beat AC Milan in the Levi's stadium here in Santa Clara. The day after the match, Klopp and co were at the Sunday training for the kids (yes the *real* kids, including the 7-year olds). He was crouching down, giving advice to these little kids about how to improve their play as a team rather than individually, was talking to the trainers (most of whom are ex-pros) about the kids, and taking a genuine interest in how things were going. The Liverpool academy here was pretty skills-focussed before this (you needed to master a given technique before you'd go on to do something else). There's still an element of that now, but the focus changed after Klopp's visit to make it more focussed on how the team as a whole performs.

Now the chances of my kid ever playing for, well, anyone is vanishingly remote. He plays with his team because he loves the sport, but realistically he's got a better chance in life by doing well at school. Still, he got advice from Klopp about how and when to run, and how that would help his team, (in conjunction with a couple of his team-mates; they were all told that *if* this happens, *and* they can do *this*, then... etc.) and the same advice was clearly given to the trainers, because it became a staple of how the team now trains (we train 3 times per week and have a game every weekend, so I get to watch a lot :)). There was and is a marked difference in how they play their game - I mean it's constantly evolving, but the running approach, the support offered to team-mates, and the ethos of "us" rather than "me" definitely changed from the training perspective.

So if he's willing to take the time to help out a bunch of kids on the opposite side of the planet, only loosely associated with LFC, I can only imagine the effect he has on the *actual* academy day-in, day-out. It's a truism that you can't focus on everything in this life, but somehow he does seem to be able to focus on everything he's doing at the time he's doing it. He also seems to have a plan for how everything should fit together - maybe not in detail, but at a level that lets things just gel together without too much friction.

And then of course, he's also got all the options in the transfer market, where he's had pretty good results too.

I honestly don't think that Liverpool have been in a better situation with regard to long-term progress ever - and I've been watching them now for 45 years. Even if (when) he goes, if the same team ethos can be carried over (it's been 4 years now since he was last this far west in the US and the impact is still obvious from that one visit), the future will be bright indeed.

Well, this turned out to be far longer than I'd expected when I started, sorry for that :) I'll finish with one more observation - in person, he's a lot fecking taller than he appears on telly!

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I reckon there’s going to be a big influx of new borns getting called Jürgen if we win the league. Boy or girl, the streets will be brimming with little Jürgens pissing off the bluenoses even more.

Mr Suzy been saying this for weeks!

19 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I reckon there’s going to be a big influx of new borns getting called Jürgen if we win the league. Boy or girl, the streets will be brimming with little Jürgens pissing off the bluenoses even more.

I've finally talked my girlfriend round, after weeks of trying, that we're naming our boy Jürgen. It'll be harder to talk him round - you know what teenagers are like.

• Upvote 13

On 20/01/2020 at 23:09, dockers_strike said:

I particularly loved, 

"How do you switch off from football?" 

"By sleeping."

Completely deadpan, wasn't trying to be funny, he is genuinely so obsessed with football that he doesn't stop thinking about it until he gets in bed. 

I imagine him setting the dinner table and instinctively putting the condiments down in a 4-3-3 formation and trying to beat the offside trap set by the salt and pepper.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Manager of the Month for January. 5 in one season breaks the record. It’s like the Powers are deliberately fanning the flames of collective insanity.

When you win every single fucking game he's giving them no choice