You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Homeless Problem

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So the link that had an activist social worker, a relative of an addict who died in a tent recently and the Mayor of Liverpool does not give an accurate reflection on the situation there today?

Where do any of them say there is a safe bed every single night of the week for every homeless person/rough sleeper in the city? 

They don’t. 

Because they haven’t even a fucking clue how many people are rough sleeping let alone providing enough beds. 

I think you’re getting terribly confused with some beds being available all year (not just when temperatures are so low people can die) and there being enough beds for everyone every night of the year. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Where do any of them say there is a safe bed every single night of the week for every homeless person/rough sleeper in the city? 

"Why wasn’t she in a hostel, at the very least? Langan says Aimee hated hostels, but that Liverpool is better than most cities in its provision for homeless people. “Liverpool has got shelter available every night,” she says. “We fought for this. Beforehand, all over the country it was just when the temperature was -3C or something you opened up a shelter, so I just kept battering the council about this. In the end, the mayor, Joe Anderson, decided to set up a shelter that was open every single night.”

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

"Why wasn’t she in a hostel, at the very least? Langan says Aimee hated hostels, but that Liverpool is better than most cities in its provision for homeless people. “Liverpool has got shelter available every night,” she says. “We fought for this. Beforehand, all over the country it was just when the temperature was -3C or something you opened up a shelter, so I just kept battering the council about this. In the end, the mayor, Joe Anderson, decided to set up a shelter that was open every single night.”

Where does anyone say there are enough beds for everyone every night? 

You’re getting confused by Liverpool doing more than the legal minimum. 

Yea, I'm confused.

They (da man) GAVE her a house. A house.

Here is a quote from the social worker.

"There are shelters that people can access, but for personal reasons not everyone wants to take that option."

I agree that there are aspects of the Health Care system (at least in the US) that need more funding. I wouldn't waste it on dealing with homelessness as I do not see it as the core issue.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, I'm confused.

They (da man) GAVE her a house. A house.

Here is a quote from the social worker.

"There are shelters that people can access, but for personal reasons not everyone wants to take that option."

I agree that there are aspects of the Health Care system (at least in the US) that need more funding. I wouldn't waste it on dealing with homelessness as I do not see it as the core issue.

You’re either being obtuse, a cunt, or both. 

I’m not going to bother wasting any more time on this. 

I just hope you never have the bad luck to be homeless and on the bare bones of your arse. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You’re either being obtuse, a cunt, or both. 

I’m not going to bother wasting any more time on this. 

I just hope you never have the bad luck to be homeless and on the bare bones of your arse. 

Col -- did you read the link?

If so - do you really think it was a lack of shelter that was the problem?

I do - except for the breakfast thread.

In this instance was a lack of shelter the prevailing issue?

If you were able to use funds to effectively deal with core issues (drug addiction, mental health) or tackle "homelessness" which do you feel would be of greater good for all?

Where does an individual's personal liberty end and society's responsibility begin?

Another issue with some of these shelters is you’ve got homeless fellas bullying and nicking off others if it’s obvious they’ve got a bit of money or gear on them. That’s scaring people away. I’d imagine that’s an even scarier prospect if you’re a homeless woman. It’s impossible for the outreach workers to police situations like that and that’s why a lot of them prefer to stay on the streets in their own ‘community’ so to speak. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, lifetime fan said:

Howie you’re deliberately trying to conflate one persons drug addiction and homelessness in the U.K.  

See above pal -- I am suggesting that it is an effect, not a cause.

That doesn't mean you don't need get more funding into the "problem". It just means the lack of shelter is a rabbit hole. HAH - see what I did.

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

Not really, the drug problem is to cover an underlying issue as evident from her aunt Cathy

she didn't have a great start and while some can deal with it better and have success with therapy etc others don't and turn to substance abuse to deal with things, so it is a drug problem?

I get that - it is a heartbreaking story - but the bottom line is she never was lacking for shelter. If anything she chose different many times.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

The legal minimum requirement for a LA is to offer some beds when temperatures are so low rough sleepers are at risk of death. 

Liverpool offer some beds all year round. 

They definitely do not offer enough beds every night for every homeless person/rough sleeper in the city. 

I'm not sure if that true Col. Liverpool have a 'Always room inside' policy.

https://www.liverpoolbidcompany.com/liverpool-city-council-always-room-inside-campaign/

I come into direct contact with a rough sleeper most days of the week. He sleeps in the sheltered entrance/exit doorways of one of the residential blocks we manage and I get the unenviable task of asking him to move on once one of the tenant complain about him.

I've asked him why he sleeps rough rather than use one of the shelters. One of the reasons he says he wont use them because of the house rules. No drinking, smoking or drug taking.

More often than not, the provided shelter is often worse than being on the street. They're confined spaces of dangerous people and you're on constant alert. The bedrooms are just mattresses on the floor often sleeping 15 or more. The lights are always on, people are screaming, standing on you or trying to attack you.

I've worked with a few people who have experienced them and theres never a good review. Housing is like putting a plaster over a gushing wound.

I actually agree with Col on this with a holistic approach but I genuinely don't think the government particularly sees this as an issue.

I think this is the only thing I've agreed with Col on. That's enough of TLW tonight lads, booking a doctors appointment tomorrow about it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Seasons said:

More often than not, the provided shelter is often worse than being on the street. They're confined spaces of dangerous people and you're on constant alert. The bedrooms are just mattresses on the floor often sleeping 15 or more. The lights are always on, people are screaming, standing on you or trying to attack you.

I've worked with a few people who have experienced them and theres never a good review. Housing is like putting a plaster over a gushing wound.

I actually agree with Col on this with a holistic approach but I genuinely don't think the government particularly sees this as an issue.

I think this is the only thing I've agreed with Col on. That's enough of TLW tonight lads, booking a doctors appointment tomorrow about it.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day pal. 

Just buy yourself a new battery.