You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does losing a Final ruin everything about that season for you?

JohnnyH

I’ve always found that everything that’s gone before a depressing Final loss is lost to me forever. 

The brilliant injury time Lovren goal against Dortmund is something I’ve never watched since losing the Final a few weeks later.  The entire run was just put into a dark place for me. In fact, even seeing mention of the Lovren goal would just bring pangs of regret and sorrow and not joy.

The 2007 European Cup Final loss didn’t just ruin that entire season, but also it turned me off the 2005 win for some reason for quite some time.  I think even just the mention of the Champions League sent me into a funk.

Last seasons great wins against Man City in the Quarter Final: Gone thanks to those horrible shitbags at Real Madrid and the Hawkingsesque performance of our goalkeeper.

Not just finals though.  Any of the goals from the Rodgers season title challenge a few years back are all lost to me as they just result in regret for what could have been.  The season we were trying to chase down Utd in 2008/09 is all gone to me.  All I can think of is that tosser Machiaida, or whatever you call him, spawning in one against Villa in 285th minute of injury time at Old Trafford.

My mind hasn’t framed this season yet, I assume because it’s not yet over and the biggest prize of all (kind of) is still up for grabs.  And so far I’ve actually been fine with not winning the league.  I know City have cheated.  We all know that.  But they still performed amazingly on the pitch, and knowing we needed 99 points to the win the title, and to have got within 2 of that, means I’m not that upset we didn’t win it.  I think I kind of know how Phil Mickelson must have felt to lose The Open to Henrik Stenson in 2016.  A ‘what more could you do?’ kind of feeling.  But I think if we lose this Final, our 5th Final loss in a row, It’ll certainly put paid to me ever watching the 4-0 Barcelona win ever again.  

I can’t stop that feeling, it’s just how my head treats such things. It ruins seasons for me. 

Basically, you better fucking win Liverpool you twats.

• Upvote 3

Reasonable thoughts.

We need to win on Saturday for a lot of reasons and I think we will.

Agree that games like Dortmund in 2016, Roma last year and penalties against Chelsea in 2007 don't quite give the same euphoric buzz with the benefit of hindsight as to what ultimately happened. Still enjoyable to look back on but not in the same way as some of the 2005 games (which, let's be honest, were often tense endurance tests rather than great footballing occasions).

Given that it's Spurs in the final, I think our feelings if things went wrong would be ten times more awful than in any previous similar situations.

That said, I don't think our expectations put extra pressure on the players. They're winners, and they'll show it on Saturday.

On the league thing and the ridiculous amount of points needed to have won it - it really fucking pisses me off.

More points than any title winning side ever except for this Man City team over last two seasons.

More points than any of the winners of this seasons major European Leagues.....but fuck all to show for it.

It is beyond fucking ridiculous and stings like an absolute bastard.

PSG only got 91 pts in their joke of a league and pissed it by 16 fucking points.

Barcelona a measly 87 and pissed it by 11 points.

Juventus "inspired by the great fucking Ronaldo" 90 pts and pissed it by 11 points.

These teams are miles off performing how we have and are all champions whilst we end up with nothing - fucking stings!

Bundesliga is only 34 games but Bayern's 78 from 34 that won them the title is nowhere near our "run rate"

We need to win Saturday.

• Upvote 3

Losing a final is depressing and maybe a few years ago I would have said yes to the question but now I would say no.

I’ll never forget the City and Roma games from last year and i’ll never forget Barca at home this year. Winning the cup is the cherry on the icing of the cake of course but I can’t just forget and ignore the amazing journey on the way to the final.

It’s the same with the league this season. We didn’t win it but 97 points is ridiculous. Some of the games at Anfield will live with me forever; Divocks Derby goal, Spurs late winner, 2nd half against Chelsea, beating Utd, battering Arsenal etc.

It’s been an amazing season and winning on Saturday would cap it off brilliantly. If we don’t win it will hurt like fuck but we just have to go again, there’s no alternative.

• Upvote 1

The closer our gets, the worse my fears are. 

We don't deserve to end the season trophy less but there is that possibility and it'll be made ten times worse by losing to an average spurs side who lost a third of their league games all season. 

In paper, we should win as, baring Eriksen, we have better players in evert position. 

Would love nothing more than this team to get what it fully deserves and for Klopp to get this run of final defeats off his back. 

For me losing this one will make me feel crushed don't think I've felt so nervous about a game since I honestly don't know when but the real worry is what it will do to Klopp I mean you can surely only take losing finals so many times before it sucks the passion and energy out of you.

The plus side of that is if Jurgen can win the big one (yeah this is the big one so fuck you City) then I feel the club and especially him will grow even stronger.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

On the league thing and the ridiculous amount of points needed to have won it - it really fucking pisses me off.

More points than any title winning side ever except for this Man City team over last two seasons.

More points than any of the winners of this seasons major European Leagues.....but fuck all to show for it.

It is beyond fucking ridiculous and stings like an absolute bastard.

PSG only got 91 pts in their joke of a league and pissed it by 16 fucking points.

Barcelona a measly 87 and pissed it by 11 points.

Juventus "inspired by the great fucking Ronaldo" 90 pts and pissed it by 11 points.

These teams are miles off performing how we have and are all champions whilst we end up with nothing - fucking stings!

Bundesliga is only 34 games but Bayern's 78 from 34 that won them the title is nowhere near our "run rate"

We need to win Saturday.

Well that's not helped my acceptance of finishing 2nd 

I can't put into words how distraught i'll be if we lose this one. there have been too many near misses now, a lot of them in tragic fashion. I think a defeat here would send me down a dark hole of drug and alcohol abuse. probably plenty of whoring, ultimately leading to me quitting my job and leaving my wife to travel the world sampling it's delights. sorry what were we talking about again?

• Upvote 1

Depends on the final, although it does tend to make what came before it in that competition feel futile. In terms of ruining a season, losing a league cup final wouldn’t kneecap an otherwise decent year, nor would, in this day and age, an FA Cup final.

The CL, of course, is very different. Should have won in 2007, were very unfortunate last year with Salah going off injured, Ramos getting away with assault and Karius doing his thing but I wouldn’t say it ruined a promising season. This year’s loss to a Tottenham team we should be beating is and will be much worse and I fear it will derail Klopp and the team in a way losing out on the title by a point to Man City won’t.

Interesting and thought provoking question.

Im not one of these who fall into the any trophy will now do. If we won the league cup or the FA Cup, I really wouldnt be that excited about it. The way I look at it we struggled to beat a shite Cardiff team to win the last league cup and I wasnt particularly excited about it.

Both of those competitions have fallen in stature in my opinion that they are now reduced effectively to second team competitions. It's the league or the CL for me now, even the Europa League would be like ok, what's next?

So I guess my answer to the question is, if we'd won the league and lost the CL, the CL loss wouldnt make me feel the season was ruined. As it is we didnt win the league so would the same feeling apply if we lose on Saturday?

I'll feel real frustration bordering on anger. A season that looked to give us everything would be flat. But we played football in the league that would have won us number 19 in virtually any other season in the last god knows how many years. If that Manc twat taylor (how the fuck does he get away with reffing united and city games?) had of done his job at the etihad and sent Kompany off. Even if you discount that, 11mm or was it 9mm was the difference to us getting another goal in that game and not. That's how fine a margin it was. My frustration and anger is right there.

I hate the defeatism that goes on here sometimes. For me we were reasonably large underdogs going into the Madrid game last year given we were up against serial winners and also some of the biggest snides in football, masters of the dark arts. On another day we might have won the game, but in the end it panned out as expected with Ramos doing his usual thing and our dodgy keeper showing exactly why we would sell him in the summer.

With that in mind, there's no reason to go into this game with a negative expectation in my opinion. Instead of repeated champions with top European pedigree we are up against a side that has won nothing of note in decades, never mind the European Cup. Spurs will need to show real steel against us to win it, and there's every chance the occasion will be too much for them and they'll crumble on the night. The final losses should actually act as a significant advantage if our team is as strong mentally as they have shown for the rest of the season. We've been there, suffered defeats, got on with it and got stronger. They haven't, it's all new territory.

Could we lose this game? Yes, of course, Spurs are a very good team. But I think you'd be a fool to say we're not favourites and I think that's good reason to be confident and happy until Saturday night. If it doesn't go our way I'll cry about it then, but there's no reason to label this other than what it is: a good final opponent and a huge opportunity.

• Upvote 2