You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tribute Bands

Bjornebye

Actually, I have seen a tribute band. My previous band supported a Jimi Hendrix tribute band a handful of years ago at the site of what used to be the Marquee in London. Very random gig.

The guy 'playing' Jimi was pretty good, but he had the broadest brummie accent I've ever heard - which was hilarious seeing him on stage talking between songs and then chatting to him afterwards.

Ruined it really.

9 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Yeah but why go see a tribute band? There's loads of good bands out there and they aren't making much money in these Spotify days. 

Go and see a good live band. Pay on the door, buy them a beer if you meet them, buy some merch. Keep music alive. Fuck this shite. 

Who says I’ve paid to see any of these bands. 

I have paid to see some tribute bands, nothing outrageous, maybe a daft £10er for a great fun night out. I love (and prefer) original bands too.

It's not either / or. The merit of the former in no way invalidates that of the latter.  It's all about enjoyment, appreciation and having fun.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Juniper said:

Actually, I have seen a tribute band. My previous band supported a Jimi Hendrix tribute band a handful of years ago at the site of what used to be the Marquee in London. Very random gig.

The guy 'playing' Jimi was pretty good, but he had the broadest brummie accent I've ever heard - which was hilarious seeing him on stage talking between songs and then chatting to him afterwards.

Ruined it really.

I think my old band might've supported them about 13 years ago. Hendrix was definitely from Birmingham anyway, he was a really nice bloke & the drummer's back was fucked (he was about 70) so they had to cut the set short.

7 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Surprised Stringy hasn't piped up yet, he's the UKs finest Alvin Stardust tribute act.

Allegedly.

Fat Alvin Stardust impersonator is up there with "are you from Wigan you wanker" and "haha you use internet explorer" as my favourite ever insults on here.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Juniper said:

I see it from both sides.

Can see the appeal as a punter. Looks to be a fun night out, hear all your favourite songs from your favourite band recreated and not take the evening too seriously. Sounds good for those reasons, although I can't recall ever seeing one as I prefer seeing original music.

From a musical/band perspective it really doesn't appeal, in fact I find it very cringey in musicians trying to emulate others in sound, appearance and characteristics and not creating any new music. It's lazy but some decent money can be made in tribute stuff so no wonder it appeals, which is cool.

On the fence a bit but it's really not my thing.

Yeah. To be clear, I’ve got no problem with it. It’s sound if people are into it and it’s sound if musicians make a living from it. It’s just not for me. 

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Just saw something on Facebook called Elvana which apparently is an Elvis fronted Nirvana tribute act. 

What a time to be alive. 

Dread Zeppelin were boss to be fair. Fat Vegas Elvis fronting a Led Zeppelin cover band except it was in a heavy dub reggae style. 

33 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Dread Zeppelin were boss to be fair. Fat Vegas Elvis fronting a Led Zeppelin cover band except it was in a heavy dub reggae style. 

I have seen these and Ozric Tentacles on the same evening. I’d had a fist full of uppers and had no clue what was happening. It was a Thursday and I was a boy on entry, but a man on exit.

My. Fucking. Word! 

9 hours ago, Remmie said:

Just saw something on Facebook called Elvana which apparently is an Elvis fronted Nirvana tribute act. 

What a time to be alive. 

8 hours ago, cloggypop said:

And let's not forget the shit-kicking rockers Hayseed Dixie.