You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tribute Bands

Bjornebye

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I found a Warhammer magazine on the train when I was a kid. Then realised it was for nonces. 

It's pretty good really. 

Get past the speccy spotty little cunts in the shop and it's pretty good. 

The games well made and the World/background they've built up around the games is great. For fantasy/Sci fi fans it's great even if you don't play or paint. 

Yeah but why go see a tribute band? There's loads of good bands out there and they aren't making much money in these Spotify days. 

Go and see a good live band. Pay on the door, buy them a beer if you meet them, buy some merch. Keep music alive. Fuck this shite. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Yeah but why go see a tribute band? There's loads of good bands out there and they aren't making much money in these Spotify days. 

Go and see a good live band. Pay on the door, buy them a beer if you meet them, buy some merch. Keep music alive. Fuck this shite. 

Bellend of a post. 

46 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I do, regularly.

I used to play in a Deep Purple tribute band called Cheap Purple. We didn't make much money & the singer wasn't amazing plus I was busy with two original bands so I quit.

I went to see a few other tribute bands around that time to see what the score was & walked out of a few after a couple of songs. I've never been back to see one & don't plan to either.

Tend to agree with Paul & Cloggy's posts.

@Bjornebye please stop posting in music threads pretending to be a qualified indie/alternative rock fan.

Reading through your posts I believe you have suffered with poor music taste issues yourself, I also believe you listen to Oasis (you obviously know where to go to C&P large amounts of their youtube videos), but you're not a qualified, clinical music snob and should immediately stop pretending to be so. 

I see it from both sides.

Can see the appeal as a punter. Looks to be a fun night out, hear all your favourite songs from your favourite band recreated and not take the evening too seriously. Sounds good for those reasons, although I can't recall ever seeing one as I prefer seeing original music.

From a musical/band perspective it really doesn't appeal, in fact I find it very cringey in musicians trying to emulate others in sound, appearance and characteristics and not creating any new music. It's lazy but some decent money can be made in tribute stuff so no wonder it appeals, which is cool.

On the fence a bit but it's really not my thing.

14 minutes ago, TK421 said:

@Bjornebye please stop posting in music threads pretending to be a qualified indie/alternative rock fan.

Reading through your posts I believe you have suffered with poor music taste issues yourself, I also believe you listen to Oasis (you obviously know where to go to C&P large amounts of their youtube videos), but you're not a qualified, clinical music snob and should immediately stop pretending to be so. 

*doffs hat*

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Well bloody said, most people can't even support an original  band via social media with a simple 'like' so it helps the band out - and I'm talking about some of you dicks on here. 

Even harder getting people to a free gig or spend 3 minutes of their time to listen to a free song online so that band get their .000429 pence a play on Spotify, or shock horror spend 79p buying a song of theirs off iTunes.

I've pretty much given up on that front (until the next single)

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Juniper said:

From a musical/band perspective it really doesn't appeal, in fact I find it very cringey in musicians trying to emulate others in sound, appearance and characteristics and not creating any new music. It's lazy but some decent money can be made in tribute stuff so no wonder it appeals, which is cool.

I know a few people who are in "proper" bands, but also play with tribute acts or covers bands to pay the bills.

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I know a few people who are in "proper" bands, but also play with tribute acts or covers bands to pay the bills.

I know musicans who do that too, good money can be made if you're good and you're covering a band that appeals to people.

People will pay to hear the same old stuff rather than take a risk and go see something new (but those music fans will tell you how their local music scene is shit at the same time!!)

I'm off the fence now. Sod it.

38 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Well bloody said, most people can't even support an original  band via social media with a simple 'like' so it helps the band out - and I'm talking about some of you dicks on here. 

Even harder getting people to a free gig or spend 3 minutes of their time to listen to a free song online so that band get their .000429 pence a play on Spotify, or shock horror spend 79p buying a song of theirs off iTunes.

I've pretty much given up on that front (until the next single)

Juniper absofuckinglutaly knows

I've only seen one, a Metallica tribute act, under duress, in a quaint pub in the Welsh Valleys. They just showed up out of the blue and preceded to rip through Master of Puppets to the bemusement of the clientele. The guitarist had a full JCM 900 stack. It was like a scene out of The League of Gentlemen. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

I've only seen one, a Metallica tribute act, under duress, in a quaint pub in the Welsh Valleys. They just showed up out of the blue and preceded to rip through Master of Puppets to the bemusement of the clientele. The guitarist had a full JCM 900 stack. It was like a scene out of The League of Gentlemen. 

It's not often you see the words "Metallica" and "quaint" in the same sentence.

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

I’ve just ‘liked’ the Dimbleby one and the gingers one on Spotify. If they pop up on shuffle I promise not to skip it straight away. Will that do?

The local council here put on a free outdoor one every year in the market square. I never usually bother but I got dragged down there by the kids last year because it was ‘The Ed Sheeran Experience’. Absolutely horrific it was. He didn’t even look or sound like him. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve just ‘liked’ the Dimbleby one and the gingers one on Spotify. If they pop up on shuffle I promise not to skip it straight away. Will that do?

The local council here put on a free outdoor one every year in the market square. I never usually bother but I got dragged down there by the kids last year because it was ‘The Ed Sheeran Experience’. Absolutely horrific it was. He didn’t even look or sound like him. 

That's great, cheers.

Happy to have your bank account number and sort code also if you're feeling generous.

• Upvote 1