You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tribute Bands

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I wonder why you feel that way about him. 

rod-stewart.gif

To be far to him his found hiswallet last week when a small model train group had their stuff smashed by some dickheads. It was a small group based in a school and some dickheads broke in smashed all the shit up and ruined thousands of pounds and hours work from them. 

Turns out Rod is into models trains and has a massive collection and set up of Grand Central Station in New York. Gave them 10k and said he'd be onto a few other rich model train people to get them to donate aswell 

Also Australian Pink Floyd are fucking brilliant 

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The best I've seen are Ultimate Bowie. Seen them half a dozen times and they always put on a fantastic show. Just a really great night out.

Motorheadache were class too. The singer is a great pound shop Lemmy, even down to the cosmetic wart.

Thats the god thing about a tribute band. You get to listen to boss live music in a more intimate setting. I've seen Oasis about 12 times and can't remember a fucking thing about any of it. Far too pissed/high/getting bummed 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

To be far to him his found hiswallet last week when a small model train group had their stuff smashed by some dickheads. It was a small group based in a school and some dickheads broke in smashed all the shit up and ruined thousands of pounds and hours work from them. 

Turns out Rod is into models trains and has a massive collection and set up of Grand Central Station in New York. Gave them 10k and said he'd be onto a few other rich model train people to get them to donate aswell 

Also Australian Pink Floyd are fucking brilliant 

Yeah that was a shithouse thing, I read about that. Not my thing like but if someone mashed up my subbuteo thats still in my old bedroom at my Dads then I'd fucking kill them. 

Nice one Rod. 

Yeah I'm into the miniature wargames which obviously from a modelling level is a bit similar so I know the time and effort that goes into it. Though it's more actually playing games too. I'd lose my shit if someone smashed up stuff I'd paid and painted 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah I'm into the miniature wargames which obviously from a modelling level is a bit similar so I know the time and effort that goes into it. Though it's more actually playing games too. I'd lose my shit if someone smashed up stuff I'd paid and painted 

Warhammer and all that shit? 

I’m with Paul on this one. Went to see Rumours of Fleetwood Mac recently. Technically brilliant, superb lead vocalist (obviously she in particular was on a hiding to nothing in every other department, so won’t judge harshly there), the guy who did the Peter Green guitar parts (they swapped eras in the two halves of their set) is a scouser apparently beloved of McCartney etc from a bit of digging I did after, so they’re credible musicians in their own right.

It just lacked soul though. Almost to the point where the people involved felt a tiny bit wretched. Like the pact they’ve made means they get to play music for a living, but they’re going through the motions because they’re recycling someone else’s work. 

Its only the second tribute act I’ve ever seen so small sample size, but I gather they’re very widely respected. Like I say, they were really talented and it was well worth seeing. I feel like I’m being harsh.  but just left me that bit colder than seeing someone perform their own gear.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I’m with Paul on this one. Went to see Rumours of Fleetwood Mac recently. Technically brilliant, superb lead vocalist (obviously she in particular was on a hiding to nothing in every other department, so won’t judge harshly there), the guy who did the Peter Green guitar parts (they swapped eras in the two halves of their set) is a scouser apparently beloved of McCartney etc from a bit of digging I did after, so they’re credible musicians in their own right.

It just lacked soul though. Almost to the point where the people involved felt a tiny bit wretched. Like the pact they’ve made means they get to play music for a living, but they’re going through the motions because they’re recycling someone else’s work. 

Its only the second tribute act I’ve ever seen so small sample size, but I gather they’re very widely respected. Like I say, they were really talented and it was well worth seeing. I feel like I’m being harsh.  but just left me that bit colder than seeing someone perform their own gear.

But the whole point of a tribute band is thats exactly what it is. 

On another note. A group of my close mates have been in loads of bands. About 10 years ago their latest incarnation was as metallers, and they went the whole hog, changing their entire image for a while etc. 

Their lead singer was a huge Maiden fan, amazing voice, charismatic on stage and the full package. They were doing well, getting some Radio 2 play and a feature on them by Liz Kershaw, generally drawing excellent reviews and crowds within that scene.

Anyway, I moved in with my mate the bassist in his house when I lived in London. The singer lived in the attic room. I’d come in and he’d be blaring out Maiden and such, singing along at the top of his dirty metaller voice. One day I came in early on a half day though and he was doing an acapella version of Dirty Diana, with an eyebrow raising amount of feeling. It was so incongruous, as his whole persona was about metal and black clothing and pretty much that everything else was faking it. He heard me come in and stopped immediately, coming out and looking dead sheepish. I had stuff to do, so just didn’t ever really think anymore deeply about it other than chuckling and walking off.

Maybe a year or so later, he binned the band at short notice. Said he didn’t want to be in the game anymore, no further explanation, went incommunicado and cut them all off.  They were fuming, proper let down. Some time later, another close mate of mine who this lad had fired from the band for being scatty, showed us all with total delight that he’d become one of the premier Michael Jackson tribute acts. Fully dressed like him, singing like him, dancing like him. He’s about a 6 foot 4 meaty white skinhead.

One of those genuinely odd things you wouldn’t believe unless you saw it yourself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

But the whole point of a tribute band is thats exactly what it is. 

I know mate. I get it. 

It just lacks a bit of spark or heart I felt.

I enjoyed it, I just had that feeling throughout.

Not trying to be a cunt in your thread or anything.

I don’t need to try.

5 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Watched a Tool tribute band called ToolShed.

Have also seen the following 

Angry Hair - Alice In Chains

The Pat Smear Test - Nirvana

Pearl Jammer (Now Pearl Jam Uk) - Erm, Pearl Jam

The Blue Meanies - The Beatles 

Are you saying Lizzie B has his own tribute band as well? 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Haven't played Warhammer in a while, though I do like it. I have ancients, Napoleonics and WW2 stuff

I found a Warhammer magazine on the train when I was a kid. Then realised it was for nonces.