You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glasgow Celtic.

Bjornebye

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

City youth coach Enzo Maresca now firm favourite for the Celtic job. I don't know too much about him but for a minute I was worried it was gonna be Paul Lambert and as much as I like Lambert, he's not the answer up there. 

Lambert the player versus Lambert the manager is like the same instances of Graeme Souness. Great player,shit manager.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

City youth coach Enzo Maresca now firm favourite for the Celtic job. I don't know too much about him but for a minute I was worried it was gonna be Paul Lambert and as much as I like Lambert, he's not the answer up there. 

Rafa was odds on for the job a few weeks ago and now they're going for a youth team coach from Man City? Quite a come down.

15 hours ago, Baltar said:

Rafa was odds on for the job a few weeks ago and now they're going for a youth team coach from Man City? Quite a come down.

I doubt Rafa was ever a realistic option mate. The Celtic board are too tight to you know appoint an actual top, established manager. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I read earlier Howe turned it down because he couldn’t get the back room staff he wanted or Celtic would agree to.

Either way, I don’t care.

Yeah seems that way. Absolute fucking disgrace as usual. Worst board in football. 

Local media here in Australia and some reports in the UK are saying that Ange Postecoglou is now the favourite for the Celtic job. A lot of people who say Ange who? and apparently Celtic fans are up in uproar by the thought. But his pedigree is very good. Currently managing in Japan, he won the league with Yokohama F Marinos in 2019 in just his second season in that league. Before that he led the national team to the 2014 World Cup and won the 2015 Asian Cup on home soil which was a hell of a achievement.

That goes alongside his success in the domestic competition which admittedly isn’t the highest standard in the world but certainly is comparable with what you see in Scotland. (FYI he was the manager of Melbourne Victory when Liverpool played in front of 95,000 people at the MCG in 2013 a night still talked about here in glowing terms.

He is someone who has a very strong belief in his own ability and is very single minded. He has parallels to Rafa in that if he feels strongly about a issue he will speak out about it potentially damaging his own tenure. He famously quit the national team after qualifying for the 2018 WC after clashing with the top brass. He has always been an ‘outsider’, as Australian Football has been very regressive and comfortable treading water, while Ange is extremely progressive and thinks big.

Who knows whether it’s all paper talk and wishful thinking but I am sure if getting the job, he will do a very good job and is a better option than Eddie Howe.

And being a massive Red, he will love going head to head with Stevie G.

• Upvote 1

On 28/05/2021 at 18:01, Scott_M said:

I read earlier Howe turned it down because he couldn’t get the back room staff he wanted or Celtic would agree to.

Either way, I don’t care.

It’s fucked up our summer selling plans, though.