You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glasgow Celtic.

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Thanks mate, remember that game, I actually cried when the Soviets went through. 

That was a tough group, as in 78 and 86. 

I was only 3, 86 is the first World Cup I remember but I know older boys who still moan about Hansen's part in that goal.

Also worth pointing out he was left out of the 86 World Cup squad because Alex Ferguson is a cunt.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mook said:

As I stated, it was more complicated than who was simply the better player.

At that time there was a resentment up here towards players who went to earn their money south of the Border. Hansen was a victim of that unfortunately & he didn't always play as well for Scotland as he did for Liverpool, he's the first to admit it. The cock up at the 82 World Cup was also pinned on him when in reality, Miller was just as culpable.

Yet King Kenny,Souness,Archie Gemmill almost always played despite playing in England almost all of their careers. I smell hypocrisy,and not knowing what world class defenders look like. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yet King Kenny,Souness,Archie Gemmill almost always played despite playing in England almost all of their careers. I smell hypocrisy,and not knowing what world class defenders look like. 

You've probably just left the oven on.

15 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Thanks mate, remember that game, I actually cried when the Soviets went through. 

That was a tough group, as in 78 and 86. 

78 wasn't that tough, if they'd have beaten Iran (yes) then they'd have qualified. The fact that they didn't beat them but beat the eventual finalists told you everything you needed to know. That was the first world cup i can remember (i was 7) and the fact that they had Kenny and Souness in the squad (and the only home nation to qualify) was enough to convince me to support them, got the kit and trackie and supported them from then on.   

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

You'd probably get better advice from UB40 to be fair

20 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Neil Lennon will soon be receiving his UB40.

The irony being that Lennon and Alan Thompson were told to leave by the club last time around because they weren't turning up to training as they were spending every night in a wine lodge in Bears Den. 

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/celtic/next-permanent-manager

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

The irony being that Lennon and Alan Thompson were told to leave by the club last time around because they weren't turning up to training as they were spending every night in a wine lodge in Bears Den. 

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/celtic/next-permanent-manager

When Celtics cheered after Rangers went tits up I said it was the worse thing to happen to Celtic. 

Winning 9 in a row and multiple trebles in a one team league is meaningless. Year after year of dominance at home and embarrassment in Europe at the hands of clubs with a quarter of Celtics budget. The fact Scott Sinclair could go north and be the best player in the league tells what a state the league was in. 

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

When Celtics cheered after Rangers went tits up I said it was the worse thing to happen to Celtic. 

Winning 9 in a row and multiple trebles in a one team league is meaningless. Year after year of dominance at home and embarrassment in Europe at the hands of clubs with a quarter of Celtics budget. The fact Scott Sinclair could go north and be the best player in the league tells what a state the league was in. 

Same goes for r*ngers 9 in a row in the 90s when they were spending over the odds by cheating. 

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

Not a stellar line up.

I would give it to Jack Ross just because he sounds like a detective with a past and drink problems but even though he never follows the rules they can't get rid of him because he has an unerring nose for murderers.

Brilliant!

On 11/01/2021 at 09:55, Mook said:

I was only 3, 86 is the first World Cup I remember but I know older boys who still moan about Hansen's part in that goal.

Also worth pointing out he was left out of the 86 World Cup squad because Alex Ferguson is a cunt.

That's fine.

It wouldn't have topped Hansen's lifting the FA Cup that year.

Oh, and I prefer the Boston Celtics.

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

Not a stellar line up.

I would give it to Jack Ross just because he sounds like a detective with a past and drink problems but even though he never follows the rules they can't get rid of him because he has an unerring nose for murderers.

Ace. I see Malky Mackay is on the list. Him and Vincent Tan would make for a great odd couple style buddy movie dream team.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They didnt cheat,they just paid stupid wages to superior over the odds washed up English players. Gerrard is doing similar now with English has beens,never weres and loanees. 

They didn't get fucked off 3 divisions for not cheating. 

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That was way after then wasn't it?

It was as a result of being snide cunts. Fuck them and everything they stand for. 

They weren't demoted. If they were demoted they would only drop down to the next tier the Scottish Championship. They went into administration and were liquidated. A new club was formed in the lower leagues but they are still widely recognised as the same Rangers with the same history.

Rangers were Scotland's most successful club and one of the most successful in the world in terms of domestic trophies and had won the most league titles in the world (53.5 - one was shared). In the late 1990s Rangers used EBTs (a way of giving payments tax free), which were legal at the time, but abused them to pay players and avoid tax. This meant they could sign and pay players they wouldn't have been able to afford other wise which helped them win trophies unfairly. When EBTs were outlawed Rangers were given a tax bill they couldn't afford to pay, went into administration and went “bust” meaning some of their achievements in recent years had been invalidated as they had used advantages they didn't really have by not paying back loans or taxes as other clubs that used EBTs had to. A new company bought Rangers and reincarnated them at the bottom of Scottish Professional Football in the 4th tier.

Are they the same club? Technically, no but in football terms yes. By law they were liquidated and died and this is true. But in footballing terms they are still Rangers, who still play in blue, who still play at Ibrox and still have 50,000 passionate fans backing them every week. In real terms it's a new club with a new history as various lawyers and judges have stated however the club still recognises it as the same club, as does Scottish football's governing body and most importantly UEFA because they new club bought the old assets. The titles Rangers won in the years they cheated are still recognised by footballing governing bodies.

That's a simplified answer from limited knowledge. Basically they cheated financially and dodged tax and couldn't afford to pay the tax bill so we liquidated but came back as a new club but we still widely recognised as the same club.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It was as a result of being snide cunts. Fuck them and everything they stand for. 

They weren't demoted. If they were demoted they would only drop down to the next tier the Scottish Championship. They went into administration and were liquidated. A new club was formed in the lower leagues but they are still widely recognised as the same Rangers with the same history.

Rangers were Scotland's most successful club and one of the most successful in the world in terms of domestic trophies and had won the most league titles in the world (53.5 - one was shared). In the late 1990s Rangers used EBTs (a way of giving payments tax free), which were legal at the time, but abused them to pay players and avoid tax. This meant they could sign and pay players they wouldn't have been able to afford other wise which helped them win trophies unfairly. When EBTs were outlawed Rangers were given a tax bill they couldn't afford to pay, went into administration and went “bust” meaning some of their achievements in recent years had been invalidated as they had used advantages they didn't really have by not paying back loans or taxes as other clubs that used EBTs had to. A new company bought Rangers and reincarnated them at the bottom of Scottish Professional Football in the 4th tier.

Are they the same club? Technically, no but in football terms yes. By law they were liquidated and died and this is true. But in footballing terms they are still Rangers, who still play in blue, who still play at Ibrox and still have 50,000 passionate fans backing them every week. In real terms it's a new club with a new history as various lawyers and judges have stated however the club still recognises it as the same club, as does Scottish football's governing body and most importantly UEFA because they new club bought the old assets. The titles Rangers won in the years they cheated are still recognised by footballing governing bodies.

That's a simplified answer from limited knowledge. Basically they cheated financially and dodged tax and couldn't afford to pay the tax bill so we liquidated but came back as a new club but we still widely recognised as the same club.

'Cheated' is a subjective term in football. It still doesn't excuse Celtic appointing a useless bag of shite like Lennon to compete with Gerrard.