You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is our most important player?

Sugar Ape

Who is our most important player?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who is our most important player?

• Alisson
    • Trent
    • VVD
    • Robbo
    • Fabinho
    • Milner
    • Henderson
    • Wijnaldum
    • Mane
    • Salah
    • Firmino

Not the best, but most important to the team? I’m sure the consensus will be big Virg, or possibly Bobby for the impact he has in making the attack work, but I was just thinking the one player I’d least want to miss the final is Alisson. 

We’d cope better with Gomez or, god forbid, even Lovren replacing VVD than we would with the Mig replacing Alisson. Last season in Kiev showed the difference a dodgy keeper can make to the team. 

With all the praise VVD rightly gets I think Alisson’s Contribution maybe goes under the radar a bit. First time in a decade I’ve been able to relax and not worry about the keeper.

• Upvote 1

Van Djik by a country mile. If he directs you to walk slowly from a burning aeroplane then you walk slowly from the burning plane. You can't buy that calming effect, well you can but it's very expensive. 

Very very very close between big Virg and Alison, 

But I've had to go with Alison. Virg played in last seasons champions league final defeat to Madrid, 

Does anyone really think we'd have lost that game with the big gorgeous bastard in goal? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

Big Virg makes everyone better. What’s to say Alisson wouldn’t find things a bit harder without him in the team? 

I’m sure he would. Same as VVD found it harder with Karius behind him.

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Karius is/was ridiculously shit though. 

My point. Karius and Mignolet are degrees shitter than Gomez and Lovren, ergo I think the team would be better equipped to cope with VVD missing rather than Alisson. 

That’s not to say that I think VVD is anything less than world class, just that it could be argued Alisson is more important.

24 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

My point. Karius and Mignolet are degrees shitter than Gomez and Lovren, ergo I think the team would be better equipped to cope with VVD missing rather than Alisson. 

That’s not to say that I think VVD is anything less than world class, just that it could be argued Alisson is more important.

I don’t agree that Alisson is more important but I suppose what you’re saying is testament to how good he’s been.

I’d be a lot more worried if Van Dijk was out injured for an extended period of time. 

28 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Very very very close between big Virg and Alison, 

But I've had to go with Alison. Virg played in last seasons champions league final defeat to Madrid, 

Does anyone really think we'd have lost that game with the big gorgeous bastard in goal? 

This. 

Big Virg is our best player but behind Alisson we have nowt. If he goes down we are fucked.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

This. 

Big Virg is our best player but behind Alisson we have nowt. If he goes down we are fucked.

Exactly. If we had a quality back-up keeper then I’d agree big Virg is the most important, as well as the best, player at the club. 

Close between Alisson and Van Dijk, with Fabinho and Firmino the next two imo.

With Mignolet and Karius I seem to recall the stats saying 50% of the shots on target against us went in. With Alisson around 20% go in.

If we allow the opposition something like 100 shots at our goal in a league season it takes very simple maths to demonstrate how important Alisson is.

Then you could argue Alisson has been helped by the fact that we’re better defensively all over now. But on the other hand Alisson is also far better in all other areas than shot stopping than the alternatives. So as long as Mignolet is our second choice it has to be Alisson for me.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Close between Alisson and Van Dijk, with Fabinho and Firmino the next two imo.

With Mignolet and Karius I seem to recall the stats saying 50% of the shots on target against us went in. With Alisson around 20% go in.

If we allow the opposition something like 100 shots at our goal in a league season it takes very simple maths to demonstrate how important Alisson is.

Then you could argue Alisson has been helped by the fact that we’re better defensively all over now. But on the other hand Alisson is also far better in all other areas than shot stopping than the alternatives. So as long as Mignolet is our second choice it has to be Alisson for me.

Good post. We're no doubt better defensively now than we were last season and the year before,  but even when we'd concede in the 40's per season under Klopp, we'd be second to City in least chances conceded and stats like that.

Logically, that tells me the biggest difference is that we now have a keeper who can actually save more than 1 out of 2 shots on target. Whereas we used to be relatively solid at the back even before Vvd was here but Mignolet and Karius had shots leaking through them game after game. like water through a strainer, now Alisson is stopping most of what used to go in. 

Hence, Alisson is the most important. Firmino and van Dijk close 2nd's. 

Right now for me, it’s Robbo, purely and simply due to the cover we have in that position. We can’t afford to have him out of the team. Many will say VVD and I get that, but our centre halves across the 4 of them can offer a level of cover over a period of time, left back, I’m not so sure.

Just to add, Klopp is the most important person at the club, as if we didn’t know that already of course.

I think we now have seven or eight players that we wouldn't want to do without for any prolonged period. I think Alisson, VvD, Trent, Robbo and the front three especially are all key players and would get in any team in the PL with the possible exception ofAbu Dhabi City for one or two of them.

I think I agree with Sugar Ape though, Alisson is the one who has made such a massive difference. Last season even with Virgil signed the crowd were nervous about the keepers, and this often transmitted to the team. We just don't see that any more, and there is a confidence in the team that we haven't seen for years.

13 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

This. 

What he said.

VVD is our best player. The best centre back in the world, and by some distance. If Matip and Gomez had been fit to start every game (no laughing at the back) I reckon we wouldn't have challenged for the title but we'd have still finished 2nd. Maybe with 80-85 points. However, with Mignolet or Karius instead of Alisson we'd have been right back in the pack and could have finished anywhere between 2nd and 6th.

I think Alisson is the best keeper in the league and probably only rate Oblak as better than him. He's been fucking class. Baffling the drivel Carra and others come out with about him.