You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Draft Semi Final 2

Lee909

Pick 2  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2

• Bjornebye
    • Alex_K
    • viRdjil
    • Elite
    • Lifetime Fan
    • Sugar Ape

Guest Alex_K

Yup. Romario played about half as many seasons in Europe than Klinsmann too. Klinsmann had a pretty unremarkable record. Carsten Jancker - who by all accounts was a bit of a dog - puts Klinsmann in the shade in European club competition scoring stakes.

It shouldn’t even be a debate. He was clearly a very good player but he wasn’t brilliant. 

Henry was brilliant. Van Basten was brilliant. Romario was brilliant. Klinsmann was always a cut below them. 

Hugo sanchez has almost 200 more career goals than him. Keegan won two Balon D’ors back to back.

I could go on but I’m even boring myself now.

Guest Alex_K

Keegan was a very meritable pick. Back to back Ballon D'Ors? By an Englishman no less? Messi and ronaldo have distorted the environment but that is an immense achievement. 

On 04/05/2019 at 08:14, viRdjil said:

I’m not the biggest fan of having to pick/judge players I haven’t actually seen play. The first 4 tournaments will require a lot of research.

On 04/05/2019 at 12:59, Sugar Ape said:

I wouldn’t worry about it mate, they can’t be any worse than your opinions on people you actually have seen play!

Turns out I was wrong!

The European Cup was then one team per country & AC Milan were incredible. 

Klinsmann was a key player at Inter, great finisher in the toughest league in the world at the time. 

I wouldn't say he was better than Romario, but he’s not far behind imo. 

Sugar Ape, Incredible team! I was really close to picking Kaka, but changed my mind and went for Totti as I didn't want to use up 2 Brazil picks early in the draft. I think is the best team in the whole thing with almost no weaknesses.

Virdil, A close second, I really like this team, loads of world class players and a really well balanced team.

If you had a better striker thank Klinsman, you could have had the best team. 

Alex K A close third for me. I wondered if anybody would pick a sweeper formation? I thought about doing it but I didn't want three at the back. You also picked a lot of players I had earmarked. Surprised by the selection of Sol Campbell though? I always feel like hes behind Terry and Ferdinand for English Centrebacks in this era. I think this team is solid but let down by a lack of width. 

Lifetime, This team has a really good front three, but is let down by the picks of McGrath, Mascherano and maybe controversially Seedorf. I've always felt Seedorf is overrated.

Elite, The top 6 in the team is really strong, but Rivaldo and C Ronaldo not in their best positions. Stam is the only outstanding player in the back five.

Stig You've picked loads of really good players, but Zidane and Gazza on either side of a front 3? As much as I personally love Fowler, Shearer is ahead of him from the same era. The back 5 is strong though.  

Seedorf was a very good player, don't get me wrong. I just think he's overrated on the basis that although he was a consistent, good all rounder in midfield, he lost his place at Madrid and was moved on by Inter without establishing himself there. So whilst he's good, I don't think he was at the elite level range personally.