You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Draft Semi Final 1

Lee909

Pick 2 teams to go through  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Two Teams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/05/19 at 20:00

I think i have the best defence, Lee the best midfield and MM the best attack.

Dynamites team is strong throughout, but i dont think Neymar in the number 10 position works, has the feel of somebody shoehorned in as there were no proper 10s left to pick from.

As with all these things, as there are so many good players, you tend to look for the players you really rated or those who you didnt. I was never a big fan of Cole. Maybe thats more to do woth personality. I also think Koulibaly is a level below the other defenders in the mix, but a very good midfield and attack.

LFD, i think yoir midfield 2 is too slow. Its something i worried about for my team putting Deschamps in. Where as i have Nedved to drop in and to a lesser extent M'bappe, i cant see Hazard and Stoichkov adding the same dynamism and helping out in midfield. Just antouch behind the other teams for me. 

MM has a strong team throughout, though i have never been a big fan of Totti. I also wonder how Batistuta would play up top with those behind him. Dont appear to be that suited to me, though maybe full backs would provide some width and get balls in, thats not to say Batistuta is only about getting on the end of crosses, obviously not. Another good defence, though again not a brilliant midfield 2. As dynamic and all action as they were, still feel thT could cause problems.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

^^^ good thorough feedback. John I actually thought YOU were going to walk these after the initial picks (I really wanted to pair Maldini with Baresi - its the one pick I really wanted that I missed out on). But I don't know why you picked Costacurta so early and dropped him into CB - or why you picked Casillas so early and Voller at all.

Dynamite's team is probably comfortably the best for me here. Rijkaard + Gerrard is a dreamy duo: the front four are lightning quick and the back four all functional, able stoppers. As a team, this functions best.

Don't buy MMs midfield 2. Roy Keane - in this country - is one of the most overrated midfielders to have ever played the game. He played at United for, what, 12 seasons? And took them to, what, ONE European final in that time? That's despite playing alongside the 'golden' United generation. They can't be that golden, because they went to one final, were out-played and 2 minutes away from achieivng fuck all in the final they did get to, and their achievements in Europe were completely dwarfed by their truly dominant late 00s team. He's lived big-time off that Juve away performance. Fabinho just pissed all over Barcelona, so what.

Deschamps is a probably a good example of a criminally under-rated midfielder from that period. A World Cup win, 5 Champions League finals (incl. 2 wins) and a UEFA Cup final (won) across 3 different teams. That doesn't happen by accident.

21 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

^^^ good thorough feedback. John I actually thought YOU were going to walk these after the initial picks (I really wanted to pair Maldini with Baresi - its the one pick I really wanted that I missed out on). But I don't know why you picked Costacurta so early and dropped him into CB - or why you picked Casillas so early and Voller at all.

I stand by Costacurta. I think he was a fantastic defender, part of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest club side defence. I did debate swapping him and Puyol around. I agree with you about Voller and to lesser extent Casillas.  Poor picks

37 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Don't buy MMs midfield 2. Roy Keane - in this country - is one of the most overrated midfielders to have ever played the game. He played at United for, what, 12 seasons? And took them to, what, ONE European final in that time? That's despite playing alongside the 'golden' United generation. They can't be that golden, because they went to one final, were out-played and 2 minutes away from achieivng fuck all in the final they did get to, and their achievements in Europe were completely dwarfed by their truly dominant late 00s team. He's lived big-time off that Juve away.

Keane was a phenomenal player and Robson also. I tried to go for two hard working players with a box to box player in Robson and a holder in Keane.

I hated Keane growing up. Mainly because I felt he was United's most important player. He won 19 major trophies in his career so I think he did something right?

Most players picked are going to be good so you have to be really picky to narrow it down to two. My assessment:

MegadriveMan

Fantastic front four, even though I think Totti is overrated. Utter devastation on the wings with Messi and Ronaldinho and Gabigol is one of my all time favourite players. Defence is solid and Hierro is an underrated player. His goal record (even though he played in midfield a bit) is superb. Midfield really lets the team down though. Never rated Robson and think Keane is overrated as well, despite being a good footballer. Ultimately think the midfield would struggle as they wouldn't get much help from that front four.

John102

Good solid defence, though I'm not too sure on Hansen and Costacurta as a pairing. Think they both looked better having a player next to them to do the dirty work. Fullbacks are great. Good pairing in midfield but the attack is a bit lopsided. Maradona is obviously superb, and Nedved was a favourite of mine as well but Voller is, alongside Fowler, probably the weakest front man in the whole draft. Loads of better forwards who didn't get picked - Trezeguet, Owen, Aguero, Lewandowski, even Firmino would have worked a lot better - and Mbappe, great though he will no doubt be, is not quite there yet for me.

LFD

Decent defence, beast of a pairing at centreback and Zambrotta was class as well. Marcelo is a bit wobbly defensively very good going forward. Can't really rate Dasayev as I haven't seen hardly anything of him, even from old clips. Obviously rated highly but didn't really play at a good standard at club level, even by the standard of the 80s. Nice midfield pairing with a bit of steel and silk but not really sure on the front four. All great players individually but not sure how they'd work together. Maybe lacks a bit of pace and Stoichkov wasn't at his best on the right imo.

Lee

Not a big fan of the defence. Shilton and Koulibaly are a class below most of the others keepers and defenders in the draft and think Cole was overrated too. Zanetti and Desailly are top class of course. Also think the midfield would struggle and would have looked better with either Platini OR Laudrup as they essentially played the same position. Be great when they're on the ball but could be overrun quite easily when they haven't got it. I like Eto'o and Torres as a pairing. Both fast, hard working and dynamic.

Dynamite

Really like this defence even though you have two tiny centre backs. Luckily they were both good in the air. Cracking pair of full backs and a good keeper. Fantastic midfield pairing, got absolutely everything between the pair of them and a good front four as well with the best striker in the draft. If I'm being picky then I think Neymar isn't at his best as a 10 and he's overrated anyway, but still, best team of the group for me.

Dynamite and John102 just pips MM to get the votes from me.

Guest Alex_K
15 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I hated Keane growing up. Mainly because I felt he was United's most important player. He won 19 major trophies in his career so I think he did something right?

For sure - but the United team he played for had minimal domestic competition (one or two good Arsenal sides who themselves did little in Europe, and that's pretty much it) and went to one European final in 12 seasons. He's spoken of in reverent terms, but the mid-to-late 00 class of premier league teams far outshone the 90s and early 00s. The likes of Monaco, Dortmund and Leverkusen were knocking the Keane-captained United sides out of Europe all over the shop.

Fuck me Shilton a level below

Maybe the Shilton of 1990 but the Shilton of Clough Forest team was as good as any keeper in football. He's a cunt of a man mind. 

Koulibaly is probably the second best defender in the world these days and Ashley Cole was one of the best LB of the past 20 years 

Look at the keepers in the group. Clemence, Dasayev, Maier, Casillas and Shilton. Apart from Dasayev who I can’t really comment on, Shilton is definitely a cut below the rest. The UKIP cunt. 

You're Massively overrating Koulibaly as well. Wouldn’t even have him top five in the world now, never mind the legends he’s competing with in the draft. VVD, Varane, Ramos, Alderweireld, Bonucci and Chiellini, all better off the top of my head. 

Bonucci has been terrible since he went back to Juve. 

Check out any list of keepers and Shilton is in the top 10 of all time. The man was twice voted in the top 10 for the Balon dor 10th amd 5th in 1989. He was the main reason Forest have 2 European cups. Granted the mans a prick but that's nothing to do with it. 

20 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

That's pretty weird. 

Just you wait until he gets back to Inter Milan. 

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Bonucci has been terrible since he went back to Juve. 

Check out any list of keepers and Shilton is in the top 10 of all time. The man was twice voted in the top 10 for the Balon dor 10th amd 5th in 1989. He was the main reason Forest have 2 European cups. Granted the mans a prick but that's nothing to do with it. 

Not for me. Overrated because he’s English. Look at Lee Yaxley-Lennon bigging him up.

Seriously though, every player in the draft is very good, even Voller. At this level it’s just comparing great players and Shilton wasn’t as good as the other keepers in the group, imo. Obviously you’re free to disagree and vote for the Brexit party.

Dynamite the clear winner. I don’t mind the two short centre halfs... Rijkaard and Bergomi could help out in defence quite comfortably there

John and LFD very close... in the end it came down to Voller vs Suarez. Voller looking at his resume, he never played for a top class club side... Suarez for 2-3 years was the best striker in the world.

Megadrive Man - A very good team but for a softer centre. If you had dropped one of Batigol or Totti and replaced with a top class midfielder this competition would have been yours to lose. 

Lee - Similar problem with Stig’s team... midfield has too many cooks. Two brilliant strikers but I don’t think they could play together... they’d make the same runs. Excellent full backs.

All of the teams in both groups are great so to narrow it down means you'll have to be very critical.

Megadrive Man: 8/10

Excellent front four, but there's no one there who'd track back and help that midfield two. The midfield isn't as dynamic as others either. Two very good full backs and they'll have their work cut out in this side.

John102: 8.5/10

Excellent side bar Voller and I don't like Puyol as a right back. Other than that he's strong everywhere. 

LF:D: 9/10

Great side, only relative weakness is Marcelo. I love the mental factor of having Suarez and Stoichkov in the same side too. 

Lee909: 8.5/10

Nice side, would love to have seen his front two play together. Agree to some extent Platini and Laudrup are a bit similar but they're both fucking class and reckon they could make it work. 

Dynamite: 9.5/10

Best side in this group. Not a single weak pick. 

I've voted for LF:D and Lee.

LF:D has the best side of this semi final in my opinion. Really well balanced, classy and hardworking players. It has plenty of goals in the side and it has mean streak you tend to need also. The only criticism I can make is that I'd swap Davids and Alonso over as they seem to be on the wrong side?

Lee has picked so many players I was going to pick!  A peak Torres and Eto partnership with the likes of Platini and Laudrup supplying them would be a nightmare to defend against. He also has a really strong back five also.

John, If you'd picked a better striker's I think I would have picked this team. I know M'bappe is a world cup winner but he's still relatively unproven at elite club level. Other than that though its a strong team.

Dynamite, I think is the weakest team in this group. He's picked really good players but the balance of this team just doesn't work at all for me. Neymar isn't a number ten, which essentially leaves a two man centre midfield pairing involving Gerrard, which was probably the position he struggled with the most in his career. This teams looks great on paper but I just think it would get completely overran in midfield. The back 5 are really strong though. If you put Gerrard where Neymar is, and then swap out either Neymar or Mane for a really good CM, I think you win this easily.   

Guest Alex_K

John's side stomps LF:Ds. The entirety of the back 5 with the possible exception of Costacurta vs Gentille is superior. Both midfield players are equal to or superior to the counterparts. The attacking players are much-of-a-muchness but whoever got Maradonna in this should have taken double points by default ..

Likewise Dynamite. Easy 8 players there superior in their position to the LF:D counterpart. The balance there is fine. 2 hardworking pacey wingers. Hard-as-nails defence that slaps their counterparts off the pitch.