You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

My cat would fucking web you everywhere you soft cunt 

*I haven't got a cat I borrow next doors when I'm horny

Big words from a Tommy Robbo supporter. 

Just now, skaro said:

If anyone's heading down to KFC, mine's 3 pieces of original recipe and a potato and gravy.

What drink? 

7 minutes ago, moof said:

This is predicated on the notion that fascists are legitimate political actors? 

Who decides who is and isn’t a legit political actor? Farage, like him or not, is a legitimate political figure. Either way, it’s not really. It’s predicated I’m not throwing shit at people just because you don’t agree with them. 

I dislike May and Johnson much more than  Farage and Yaxley-Shitcunt. I just don’t want to see Corbyn turn up to PMQs with a load of Milkshakes. 

13 minutes ago, moof said:

This is predicated on the notion that fascists are legitimate political actors? 

This is why I've got no qualms about Yaxley-Lennon or the rapey twat getting milky; although Farridge is, by every objective measure, a shit, I don't think he's a Fascist, so I'm not sure whether swilling him (while hilarious) is fully justified. 

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is why I've got no qualms about Yaxley-Lennon or the rapey twat getting milky; although Farridge is, by every objective measure, a shit, I don't think he's a Fascist, so I'm not sure whether swilling him (while hilarious) is fully justified. 

The thing is, ridicule and embarrassment are the only real weapons we have against his like. He’s given a free ride (to put it lightly) by the media, he can’t be defeated in the “marketplace of ideas” because firstly, he doesn’t have any ideas, secondly neither he nor his supporters are interested in an honest debate. He happily promotes incendiary, racist, violent tactics to get his way - so, I’m not going to lose any sleep about some fella pouring a milkshake on him. This is the man who was talking about bringing out his rifle if brexit isn’t delivered, after Jo Cox was murdered in the streets by one of his supporters, one of the frothing loons he’s whipped up. Fuck him. 

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Who decides who is and isn’t a legit political actor? Farage, like him or not, is a legitimate political figure. Either way, it’s not really. It’s predicated I’m not throwing shit at people just because you don’t agree with them. 

I dislike May and Johnson much more than  Farage and Yaxley-Shitcunt. I just don’t want to see Corbyn turn up to PMQs with a load of Milkshakes. 

I’m not saying everyone should throw things at people they disagree with, I’m saying violence against fascists is actually quite easily justifiable in real terms. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, moof said:

The thing is, ridicule and embarrassment are the only real weapons we have against his likes. He’s given a free ride (to put it lightly) by the media, he can’t be defeated in the “marketplace of ideas” because firstly, he doesn’t have any ideas, secondly neither he nor his supporters are interested in an honest debate. He happily promotes incendiary, racist, violent tactics to get his way - so, I’m not going to lose any sleep about some fella pouring a milkshake on him. This is the fella who was talking about bringing out his rifle if brexit isn’t delivered, after Jo Cox was murdered in the streets by one of his supporters, one of the frothing loons he’s whipped up. Fuck him. 

I’m not saying everyone should throw things at people they disagree with, I’m saying violence against fascists is actually quite easily justifiable in real terms. 

I guess we just disagree on that. 

29 minutes ago, moof said:

This is so idiotic that even Rico seems to agree with you. Sorry mate, I just don’t get where you’re coming from at all. I’m not cool with any old misinformed idiot getting a “shoeing”, I’m cool with fascist leaders like Richard Spencer getting punched while he’s trying to conduct an interview espousing his fascist views. If you think that makes me exactly the same as him, I don’t know what to tell you. 

Well, I guess first you didn’t really stipulate which type of fascists, leaders, followers, part of a demonstration, whatever.

I mean I don’t think anyone, apart from maybe rico and NV, would object that if Hitler had been in mid exhorting rant and some ordinary German citizen had lobbed an egg at him, that would have been ok.

So if you’re not up for kicking in a fascist dickhead in the street, because you’ve decided they deserve it, that’s probably a good thing.

Throwing milkshake or egging someone is not violence, it's a symbolic act. If you suffered it, it usually means that what you are saying and doing is beyond regular, accepted, normal political discourse, however, its boundaries cannot be defined by individual milkshake throwers, so the perpetrators need to face the consequences of their actions. If they still think it was worth it, then the "milkshaked" (milkshook?) politician probably deserved it. That's why I don't think you would see eggs and shakes as a regular form of expressing disagreement.

Now, punching or attacking fascists or people you think are fascists with an intent of physically harming them is a different matter, because in a civilized society, there are mechanisms and organizations  which should regulate what is hate speech or inciting violence against various groups in society. If they act legally you are not justified to unilaterally bring physical force to them, because, the escalation does not only work in the way Nelly described, it also works by extending the political spectrum of who you personally think is OK to punch. Today its is fascists, tomorrow its people who you disagree with over transgender rights and so on.

So, unprovoked violence would for me not be justified, symbolic  acts yes, although this is again a grey area, if someone is marching to symbolically take over your streets they never marched on before, you are justified to try to block them, which could then lead to violence.  

• Upvote 1

Throwing a milkshake at someone is common assault is it not, unless they’re seriously lactose allergic in which case it can get far more serious like manslaughter. Cause them to go temporarily blind from the drink in their eyes and they hurt themselves and you’re ramping up the offence to ABH or GBH.

its a dick move by dicks. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Pretty sure that some PETA folk have been prosecuted for throwing paint onto people wearing fur.

That's far worse than Milkshake. 

Especially if it's gloss, that stuffs a cunt to get off at the best of times.

Edit: Reminded of this...

• Upvote 1

Whether you agree with Sargon of Akkad, Tommy Robinson or Nigel Farage or not is irrelevant. Farage is the leader of the party that will most likely win the election. The other two are both standing MEP's, carrying out the normal course of their duties on the campaign trail. You can't just claim they are not legitimate politicians because you disagree with their views. They are legitimised by standing for office. Your feelings are irrelevant to their legitimacy.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

That's far worse than Milkshake. 

Especially if it's gloss, that stuffs a cunt to get off at the best of times.

I’d rather someone spilt a bit of gloss in my car on a summers day than fucking milk. That shit stinks forever.