You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

On the issue of milkshakes and eggs, I've just googled some definitions of violence. There's a lot of talk about the intention to cause physical hurt, harm or damage; no mention of the intention to piss someone off and leave them with a dry cleaning bill.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is that an absolute? So, for example, you would have been a conscientious objector in World War 2? Or (a more extreme example) if someone was attacking your family, would you stand there saying "please stop"?

Are you aware how heavily insured my wife is? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

If some random fella threw a milkshake over me in the street and in retaliation I punched him , breaking his jaw, would I be in the wrong or him? 

Both. Excessive force isn’t it? 

Give him a wedgie and you’re grand.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Both. Excessive force isn’t it? 

Give him a wedgie and you’re grand.

Well is it? If I felt threatened and lashed out in self-defence which just so happened to break his jaw would I really be in the wrong? A wedgie could be deemed as a pre-meditated assault. 

I think we need to blow this argument up into a bigger issue. 

Is throwing any form of liquid at someone an act of violence? If so, how many women/men and children have gone without punishment? How many break ups are actually criminal assaults? How many children have gone without a full review of social services and involvement of the youth justice system? When will we see justice in the peak of such societal decline? 

Injustice aside, and whilst I think it's comical that a milkshake event has exploded into political discourse, I think it's about time we knocked it on the head. It's all fun and games until someone throws a bottle of urine at someones head and causes serious injury or before someone steps over the mark with something more intentional. 

If we want a society that encourages freedom of speech and the right to challenge the status quo then we need to be respectful of that and allow everyone to share their ideas or thoughts. In the same manner as how we'd like ours to be heard, shared and discussed. Whether Tory, Labour, Green, Brexit or some twit called Tommy, we all stem from the same soil and therefore we should discuss everything with the view of improving that very origin - and challenge discussions that perpetuate hatred/violence, false information or bias. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Seasons said:

I think we need to blow this argument up into a bigger issue. 

Is throwing any form of liquid at someone an act of violence? If so, how many women/men and children have gone without punishment? How many break ups are actually criminal assaults? How many children have gone without a full review of social services and involvement of the youth justice system? When will we see justice in the peak of such societal decline? 

Injustice aside, and whilst I think it's comical that a milkshake event has exploded into political discourse, I think it's about time we knocked it on the head. It's all fun and games until someone throws a bottle of urine at someones head and causes serious injury or before someone steps over the mark with something more intentional. 

If we want a society that encourages freedom of speech and the right to challenge the status quo then we need to be respectful of that and allow everyone to share their ideas or thoughts. In the same manner as how we'd like ours to be heard, shared and discussed. Whether Tory, Labour, Green, Brexit or some twit called Tommy, we all stem from the same soil and therefore we should discuss everything with the view of improving that very origin - and challenge discussions that perpetuate hatred/violence, false information or bias. 

Fuck off 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Im sure normalising having drinks thrown on politicians will encourage just the right type of person to stand for office.  I mean there’s nothing wrong with a big burly bloke chucking a drink at a woman because he disagrees with her right?  Maybe following her, waiting outside her house to do it?   

What the fuck, honestly. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Thing is though, you are happy to use or promote violence against your enemies.

And I'm pretty sure those people would say that you are promoting women/gays/muslims at the expense of others (white men).  So, who gets to decide who gets kicked in?

You’re really going there? People who fight fascists are the real fascists?

32 minutes ago, moof said:

No, I’m asking you who you think gets to decide?

You think a fella deserves a kicking, he thinks you deserve a kicking. You both believe you are in the right and the other one is a scourge on society.

Who gets to decide who’s right? An independent panel headed by Noam Chomsky gets to declare who is actually worthy of a shoeing and who is just a bit of a misinformed idiot?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Changing my response. 

Violence is acceptable when you receive targeted abuse from nonces who don't show up at KFC when called out for a Shake off. 

If you want some I'll give it yer. 

14 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Who gets to decide who’s right? An independent panel headed by Noam Chomsky gets to declare who is actually worthy of a shoeing and who is just a bit of a misinformed idiot?

Well, yeah. That would be sound.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, moof said:

People that use violence, intimidation, etc, to close down political discourse are in the wrong, no matter what side of the argument they come from. You hate these people every bit as much as I do, but I’d urge you to take a step back and look at it from an exterior position (going in the garden helps). 

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

People that use violence, intimidation, etc, to close down political discourse are in the wrong, no matter what side of the argument they come from. You hate these people every bit as much as I do, but I’d urge you to take a step back and look at it from an exterior position (going in the garden helps). 

This is predicated on the notion that fascists are legitimate political actors? 

39 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

No, I’m asking you who you think gets to decide?

You think a fella deserves a kicking, he thinks you deserve a kicking. You both believe you are in the right and the other one is a scourge on society.

This is so idiotic that even Rico seems to agree with you. Sorry mate, I just don’t get where you’re coming from at all. I’m not cool with any old misinformed idiot getting a “shoeing”, I’m cool with fascist leaders like Richard Spencer getting punched while he’s trying to conduct an interview espousing his fascist views. If you think that makes me exactly the same as him, I don’t know what to tell you.