You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Very worthy sentiments but that’s not how the world works.  If you normalise political violence it’ll happen more often and eventually your favourite politician will get swilled.  Then you’ll be annoyed 

I mostly agree. 

However, there is something very effective about bringing a pompous arse down to size with something childish like pouring a milkshake on their head.

I am not sure that really counts as political violence.

• Upvote 2

Let’s scrap the ballot box and decide our democracy with milk shake throwing. I mean how much of a shithouse are you throwing a milk shake, yes it’s violence but barely deserves the title. I can’t argue, I’m a cowardly shithouse, so I’ll throw something at that bad man. I’m not taking sides, well yes I am, I am against the further destruction of our democracy and the right for people to have an opinion and be able to voice it as long as it isn’t illegal or promotes violence or hate. I’m sure I’ve missed something from the end there, I have little doubt someone will advise me what. 

A good protest is fine, even a civil debate. Show people up for what they are. 

Trouble is our political system has shown it doesn’t like democracy when it doesn’t agree with what’s been decided. No matter what side of the argument you’re on that’s a no brainier. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

I mostly agree. 

However, there is something very effective about bringing a pompous arse down to size with something childish like pouring a milkshake on their head.

I am not sure that really counts as political violence.

Somebody who promotes violent causes and legitimises violent people deserves a milk shake in the face,at least.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Very worthy sentiments but that’s not how the world works.  If you normalise political violence it’ll happen more often and eventually your favourite politician will get swilled.  Then you’ll be annoyed 

"Swilled". You mean have a cold drink thrown on them? It's not violence, really, is it? I mean, if a stranger in the street punched you in the face and ran away, you might want to tell a nearby copper that you're the victim of a violent assault.  If someone chucked a cold drink on you and ran away, you wouldn't. 

I don't buy the slippery-slope theory in this case. People can recognise the difference between a milkshake and a punch and can legitimately consider one acceptable and the other unacceptable. 

Personally, I doubt I'd do more than tut if my "favourite politician" (y'know, the leader of my cult) got milkshaked. I'm more concerned about the constant lies and character assassinations; I honestly couldn't tell you whether or not Corbyn ever has been on the receiving end of a non-violent "swilling" or an egging. 

Im sure normalising having drinks thrown on politicians will encourage just the right type of person to stand for office.  I mean there’s nothing wrong with a big burly bloke chucking a drink at a woman because he disagrees with her right?  Maybe following her, waiting outside her house to do it?   

37 minutes ago, 16613 said:

Let’s scrap the ballot box and decide our democracy with milk shake throwing. I mean how much of a shithouse are you throwing a milk shake, yes it’s violence but barely deserves the title. I can’t argue, I’m a cowardly shithouse, so I’ll throw something at that bad man. I’m not taking sides, well yes I am, I am against the further destruction of our democracy and the right for people to have an opinion and be able to voice it as long as it isn’t illegal or promotes violence or hate. I’m sure I’ve missed something from the end there, I have little doubt someone will advise me what. 

A good protest is fine, even a civil debate. Show people up for what they are. 

Trouble is our political system has shown it doesn’t like democracy when it doesn’t agree with what’s been decided. No matter what side of the argument you’re on that’s a no brainier. 

Yeah, I think this is why people are chucking milkshakes at these cunts. The ones promoting hate.

My overriding feeling towards all of this is that I don't fucking care. It's a milkshake. "Yeah, but next time it could be a rocket launcher". Could be, more likely to be another milkshake I reckon though.

These cunts are lucky they live in an apathetic nation. Nigel Farage is a vile, hate promoting snake oil salesman, and in many other countries he would have been chucked in the fucking sea.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 16613 said:

Sure, but my opinion is it’s a shithouse trick, and I agree with others that say it also makes the target of it a victim. 

Fair enough. I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way. Whether it has its desired effect, I don't know. I don't have an enormous amount of faith in the population. 11m of them did vote Tory after all.

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Fair enough. I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way. Whether it has its desired effect, I don't know. I don't have an enormous amount of faith in the population. 11m of them did vote Tory after all.

41 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Im sure normalising having drinks thrown on politicians will encourage just the right type of person to stand for office.  I mean there’s nothing wrong with a big burly bloke chucking a drink at a woman because he disagrees with her right?  Maybe following her, waiting outside her house to do it?   

There's that slippery-slope again.

And maybe someone who is scared of milkshake  - like someone who won't get out of bed for less than  £75k a year - isn't the best person to represent us.

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That Ash bird, she’s ‘literally a communist’. Can Carl Benjamin (think he’s a big cunt) throw stuff at her?  She’s about 6 stone wet through and he’s about 18 stone.  

It's an interesting question. 

What's your answer - and why?

11 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There's that slippery-slope again.

And maybe someone who is scared of milkshake  - like someone who won't get out of bed for less than  £75k a year - isn't the best person to represent us.

What if they are already earning more than that and think ‘fuck that, I’m not taking a pay cut and having stuff lobbed at me’? 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s never right to be violent.  

Is that an absolute? So, for example, you would have been a conscientious objector in World War 2? Or (a more extreme example) if someone was attacking your family, would you stand there saying "please stop"?