You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

3 hours ago, Boss said:

If Antifa are not going out looking for violence, why do they wear bandanas and hoodies to obscure their faces?

To be fair, he never said they're not looking for violence: he said that they only exist to defeat Fascists (by violent means, if necessary). If the Fascists weren't there threatening violence against minorities, the Antifa wouldn’t be there threatening violence against Fascists. 

I’ve been told that it’s a slippery slope, but I can’t pretend to share this feeling of outrage I’m supposed to feel when guys like Richard Spencer, Tommy Robinson and Michael Ngo get beaten up. Is that bad?

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’ve been told that it’s a slippery slope, but I can’t pretend to share this feeling of outrage I’m supposed to feel when guys like Richard Spencer, Tommy Robinson and Michael Ngo get beaten up. Is that bad?

I'd love to see them falling down a slippery slope. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Depends if you define hypocrisy as bad or not

It isn’t hypocritical to not want decent people to be beaten up but also not mind too much if it’s an absolute twat bag on the end of a kicking. I don’t have empathy for fascists 

And in other news

Protesters have forced their way into the central chamber of Hong Kong's parliament after an hours-long siege.

Dozens of demonstrators broke through the glass of the Legislative Council (LegCo) building earlier in the day.

Hundreds then entered the building, spray-painting messages on the walls and carrying supplies for those occupying the premises.

At midnight, (16:00 GMT) hundreds of police charged towards the building after warning protesters to clear it.

Police fired tear gas into the remaining crowd outside the building as they advanced. Earlier on Monday evening, police warned that protesters must clear the building or face "appropriate force".

49 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Depends if you define hypocrisy as bad or not

Escalate it to warfare; is it hypocritical to think that the invasion of Poland was bad, but D-Day was morally sound?

This is the kind of thing I was driving at at the start of this thread; you need some sort of moral framework to decide what you think is justified, otherwise you run the risk of arbitrarily  (and hypocritically?) arguing that x is good but y is bad.

1 hour ago, moof said:

It isn’t hypocritical to not want decent people to be beaten up but also not mind too much if it’s an absolute twat bag on the end of a kicking.

But what if they think you're the twat bag?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You don't recognise this as extreme sarcasm? Mind you,I'd be offended if I was accused of buying a Morrisey album.

Fair enough, if I misread it I hold my hands up. On Morrissey though I recently read an interview on his website and he seems to have an incredible persecution complex. I was always suspicious that tracks such as National front disco and Bengali in Platfotms where not “ironic” or as ambiguous as they appeared, It’s a genuine shame as he is easily one of the greatest British lyricists of all time.