You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Call me cynical but I reckon that's a load of bollocks. All these recent 'milkshake assaults' have been aimed at the middle of the body. At least the lad who did the goblin in Warrington full on swilled the cunts all over his head with it. These are just set-up. Aldershot is a fuckign army garrison. You would have to be pretty thick to lash a drink over a vet around those parts and if you are that thick then you go for the full on 'all over the head' attack. XX<Y on the SNES if I remember correctly. 

Apparently:

No witnesses.

He's been offered a change of clothes and towels but has refused them (also refused several offers of a lift home to change) and decided to stand there all day with milkshake on him. 

His story has changed a few times. 

He didn't report it to any election officials or the police. 

However, the press appear to have been informed as they were there half an hour after it happened. 

Allegedly thrown by a person driving past on a bike. But, absolutely NO splash effect. None on the pavement, his shoes, the surrounding surfaces etc. 

He may very well have been swilled, but I'd me more minded to says it's an allegation at this point rather than an open and shut case. 

In other news... (insert laughing emoji here)... 

Sam Harris

@SamHarrisOrg
· 22h
Replying to @aliamjadrizvi and @GSpellchecker
All these assaults are mock assassinations (whether the perpetrators know it or not). Pies, milkshakes, glitter, etc. reveal unavoidable weaknesses in the security of their targets and advertise their vulnerability to the whole world. The result is worse than it appears.

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Takes me back to the halcyon days of hitting a dreadful aggro cunt in white jeans with a neon blue slush puppy from a second floor window across the other side of a pedestrianised street in the late 90’s.

Probably the only remotely accurate throw of my life, stoned out of my mind, and it span like helicopter blades as it approached his head so he got covered head-to-toe.

Cinema-worthy.

Just been talking to my mate who’s flat it was on Messenger and he swears it was a McDonalds milkshake. I was ahead of my time.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is an obvious infringement on personal space/dignity.

To suggest there isn't any hint of violence seems to be strange.

It is the modern day tar and feather and it is being accepted into society as ok - it's not.

Doesn't matter who gets it or gives it.

Yes it's an infringement of personal space and dignity. But unlike tar and feathers it causes no physical harm or injury. 

It's not nice - but it's not violence. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

If any of the racist weirdos had anything about them then they would do a John Prescott and spark the fuckers. They don't though. 

Yaxley-Lennon did have about 10 of his goons circling the lad in Warrington and they did pile into him afterwards. 

Just now, A Red said:

Can you show why i'm wrong?

I have.  Several times. 

Any definition of violence will tell you that there has to be  (actual or intended) physical or mental harm. Slopping a cold drink on someone doesn't fit that definition. 

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I have.  Several times. 

Any definition of violence will tell you that there has to be  (actual or intended) physical or mental harm. Slopping a cold drink on someone doesn't fit that definition. 

Well, you seem to be assuming that it does not cause mental anguish -- which I think is probably incorrect.

Certainly whomever is doing the slopping has an intention and feels it is in some way harmful, otherwise it would be pointless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Certainly whomever is doing the slopping has an intention and feels it is in some way harmful, otherwise it would be pointless.

Yes, I'd say humiliation might be the intent.

It's not physical violence, and I'm sure it wouldn't cause too much harm to a callous politician... but humiliation - as a common tactic in bullying, for example - is very arguably a form of mental violence and bullying, we can all agree, is acknowledged as contributing to things like suicides.

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, you seem to be assuming that it does not cause mental anguish -- which I think is probably incorrect.

The milk-slopping itself doesn't cause mental anguish. Nor do the people in these recent cases have any violent intent. Generally, something that only gets you messy, but doesn’t hurt, doesn’t fit a definition of violence.  You can have a food fight for fun at a children's party; that alone should give you an idea of the level of harm and injury being done.