You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

What drink was it? That’s the most important question. 

It was a Brexiteer so English water, filtered through English hills and pumped to the surface with English engineering and bottled in English glass from English sand. 

49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bombardier 

They did a promo thing a few months back where you'd join their newsletter and they'd send you a beer in the post. 

They didn't click on that you could use the + trick in your email and therefore sent me 15 beers. Great day that was coming home to a mountain of individually wrapped goodness. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder what kind of reaction you'd get if you turned up at a support group for victims of violence. 

"Someone, I didn't even know him, slopped a cold milky drink at me. It smelled of stawberries. I needed to get my jacket dry-cleaned."

"Then what happened?"

"Nothing. The Police took him away and I went back to my hotel."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"Mmm...

Now, Ali, tell the group what happened to you in Darfur."

• Upvote 1

Slapping my face or chucking a milkshake over me is a violent act. I may respond, in the spur of the moment, with more violence. And off it goes.

If the only way you can try to win an argument is with violence, you've already lost

• Upvote 1

image.png

They spout hate and rely on fear and intimidation, they should be met with demonstrations whenever and wherever they try to speak. 

No one wants violence but these people use it as a means to an end and they should not be allowed too.

If violence takes place it is a lie to say there were "very fine people on both sides"

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If violence is never justified why aren't we growing small moustaches and wearing jackboots and swastikas while marching through the centre of London having conquered all of Europe?

Wir werden niemals aufhoren... 

30 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If violence is never justified why aren't we growing small moustaches and wearing jackboots and swastikas while marching through the centre of London having conquered all of Europe?

Probably because there's a huge flaw in that plan.

Some people can't grow moustaches. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The attack on Corbyn was far more violent than any of these milkshake shenanigans yet the media fallout has been worlds apart. Fucking right wing cunt country. 

Agreed. He got punched in the head by someone holding an egg and the coverage was nowhere near as lively as this milkshake-gate.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, A Red said:

Slapping my face or chucking a milkshake over me is a violent act. I may respond, in the spur of the moment, with more violence. And off it goes.

If the only way you can try to win an argument is with violence, you've already lost

What is your civil disobedience tactic against the likes of Farage, then? If pouring a milkshake over someone is such terrible violence, what else would you suggest? 

4 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

image.png

They spout hate and rely on fear and intimidation, they should be met with demonstrations whenever and wherever they try to speak. 

No one wants violence but these people use it as a means to an end and they should not be allowed too.

If violence takes place it is a lie to say there were "very fine people on both sides"

Exactly. These are not just people you can “beat at the ballot box” every four years. They are poisoning our society, they need to be fought at every juncture 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, moof said:

What is your civil disobedience tactic against the likes of Farage, then? If pouring a milkshake over someone is such terrible violence, what else would you suggest? 

You said terrible violence, I just said violence, which it quite obviously is.

I would suggest anything that is within the law and doesnt include a violent act 

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

You said terrible violence, I just said violence, which it quite obviously is.

I would suggest anything that is within the law and doesnt include a violent act 

Fine, take “terrible” out, if that makes you happy. What would you suggest? If pouring a milkshake on someone is an illegitimate act of political opposition to the pernicious evil of the far right, what do you suggest as a better tactic?