You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

Assault is the use of physical force or a threat to do so.  Throwing an object at someone is an assault whether it hits or not.  

Violence is not strictly defined but I think most people would say that an assault is violence and that violence includes damage to property. Otherwise arson or dropping a bomb which only damages property would not be violent. 

An act is not an assault if the recipient acquiesces expressly or can reasonably be supposed to have acquiesced in the particular circumstances. Volenti non fit iniuria is the legal principle if anyone can be bothered looking it up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, skaro said:

Might be worth re-stating:  When is violence justified?

Depends who you are I suppose. 

If you live under occupation, if you're a victim of systemic abuse or discrimination, etc. 

A Polish woman now living in fear and feeling like she no longer belongs in the UK in no small part down to the horrible rhetoric of hateful snake oil salesmen like Nigel Farage. That woman, for example, if she wants to chuck a fucking milkshake at him, or whatever, well, I think it's justified.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, A Red said:

If any of those were of malicious intent then they were violent.

If I put you over my knee and spank you, gently, against your will - violent. If you ask me to, not violent. If Farage got elected and his supporters gave him the bumps and threw champagne or milk over him to celebrate, not violent.

This really isnt difficult

So it’s the intent then, and not the actual act?

Which then leads to the argument that if the intent is political statement, rather than individual assault, then it is not necessarily a violent act.

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes of course. How else could it be viewed ? It’s either an accident or deliberate. If it’s deliberate its violence. 

If if I turn up at your house every day and chuck a drink in your face how are you viewing it? ‘Fucking hell, there goes big nose Rico with his passive action’. It’s fucking mental!  

"Passive" is not the opposite of "violent". Look it up. Lots of dickish, anti-social, annoying and even aggressive actions do not meet the definition of violence that everyone had until 2 weeks ago.

When you were still denying that Corbyn had been punched, when you still thought it was just an egging, are you now admitting that you were having a good old laugh at a "violent" attack all along? If any Corbyn supporters had come on here to say "But egging is violent" would you have responded with "Fair point" or with one of your usual stock of dismissive replies ("hahaha", " fucking Hell", "I love this place" etc.)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

When you were still denying that Corbyn had been punched, when you still thought it was just an egging, are you now admitting that you were having a good old laugh at a "violent" attack all along? If any Corbyn supporters had come on here to say "But egging is violent" would you have responded with "Fair point" or with one of your usual stock of dismissive replies ("hahaha", " fucking Hell", "I love this place" etc.)

663D9201-3EF4-4B82-AF1F-2457376C140F.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

"Passive" is not the opposite of "violent". Look it up. Lots of dickish, anti-social, annoying and even aggressive actions do not meet the definition of violence that everyone had until 2 weeks ago.

It’s bad he was punched, the bloke was rightly punished.  Doesn’t mean I can’t find it funny. Why are you struggling with that.  If I saw Moof or NV getting punched I’d laugh my cock off, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want the lovely girl who did it punished. 

4 hours ago, aws said:

Assault is the use of physical force or a threat to do so.  Throwing an object at someone is an assault whether it hits or not.  

Violence is not strictly defined but I think most people would say that an assault is violence and that violence includes damage to property. Otherwise arson or dropping a bomb which only damages property would not be violent. 

An act is not an assault if the recipient acquiesces expressly or can reasonably be supposed to have acquiesced in the particular circumstances. Volenti non fit iniuria is the legal principle if anyone can be bothered looking it up. 

Fucking hell, where have you been, I could have done with you 12 pages ago

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

So it’s the intent then, and not the actual act?

Which then leads to the argument that if the intent is political statement, rather than individual assault, then it is not necessarily a violent act.

Volenti non fit iniuria

As mentioned by the learned aws

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s bad he was punched, the bloke was rightly punished.  Doesn’t mean I can’t find it funny. Why are you struggling with that.  If I saw Moof or NV getting punched I’d laugh my cock off, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want the lovely girl who did it punished. 

In fairness, that’s kind of where I’m at, but obviously at the opposite end of your politics e.g., I personally wouldn’t punch Richard Spencer, or ‘milkshake’ Tommy Robinson... but I wouldn’t stop someone else from doing it. 

I got  arrested when I was 15 for "conspiracy to assault the heir to the throne",  I went with my mate to Wrexham town centre with a satchel of water bombs to lob at Prince Charles on his Investiture tour around Wales. We got picked up by a plain clothes policeman discussing whether we'd have a better shot from the upstairs window of one of the shops. Didn't get charged because the duty sergeant thought it was hilarious. 

An intended act of violence but fully justified. 

• Upvote 11

33 minutes ago, aws said:

I got  arrested when I was 15 for "conspiracy to assault the heir to the throne",  I went with my mate to Wrexham town centre with a satchel of water bombs to lob at Prince Charles on his Investiture tour around Wales. We got picked up by a plain clothes policeman discussing whether we'd have a better shot from the upstairs window of one of the shops. Didn't get charged because the duty sergeant thought it was hilarious. 

42 minutes ago, aws said:

My G