You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

20 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Assault does not automatically equal violence. This simply isn't true. You've cited a couple of sentences from Web pages to try and substantiate this claim - the sentencing council and some random regional police page. 

You still haven't provided a single legal authority which states that assault = violence. That's because it doesn't automatically. The case law cited has provided several examples of assault not involving violence, but you've then put your own interpretation on what was being said to back up your argument, which is simply not an accurate or true one. 

Violence is something that somebody does. A person's action. Not how another person reacts to it. Assault is not a word that means violence in this sense. It has a distinct, separate legal meaning. And can clearly involve conduct which is by no means "violent" 

The law treats things like threatening and milkshaking as violence and charges them under common assault. It quite obviously does otherwise a different act would be used.

Here is all the proof you need

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/21/man-charged-assault-nigel-farage-milkshake-incident

Now, away from legal terms, you and I might not consider a threat to be violent and we might disagree as to whether chucking a milkshake is violent. I think it is and you dont. You do it to me and i will probably react violently, i do it to you and you quite obviously wouldnt

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Like the Corbyn egg thing. That bloke tried to egg him and fucked it up by hitting him.   At no point did the bloke think ‘I’m gonna punch this guy and make it worse by holding an egg in my hand’. 

I would disagree there pal - there is no question the fella was intent on punching him - he didn't fuck it up. If anything the egg was there so it looked better than just going up and twatting him.

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So A Red's constant assertion that "assault = violence" is incorrect, then.

Yes. It doesn't have to be violence. 

A non-consensual application of force will suffice. Be that directly or with an item/milkshake/whatever. 

And the case law clearly states that criminal liability can still be incurred for assault when that "force" (a misleading term) is minimal and/or non-aggressive.  I'd personally struggle to class minimal and non-aggressive "force" as violence. 

So, for me, the claim that assault=violence, and the suggestion that this is always the case, is an inaccurate one. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Another example of yet another poster trying to downplay Corbyn getting punched in the head... absolutely nothing to see here at all.

He punched him, that’s been shown in court. He’s been punished and that’s good.  I also don’t think he’s thought ‘I don’t agree with this guy so I’m gonna punch him holding an egg’. Unless he’s mental.  Either way it’s a violent act.

i can’t separate him stopping his hand a mm from JCs face and you lot being ok with it because it’s a political protest. I find that completely fucking ludicrous to be honest.  

52 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Like the Corbyn egg thing. That bloke tried to egg him and fucked it up by hitting him.   At no point did the bloke think ‘I’m gonna punch this guy and make it worse by holding an egg in my hand’. 

Why did you give the guy an excuse?

52 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

At no point did the bloke think ‘I’m gonna punch this guy and make it worse by holding an egg in my hand’. 

Yesterday another poster denied the punch ever happened and today you claimed the assaulter never meant to punch him. Not a great look.

6 minutes ago, Boss said:

He punched him to protect him from the velocity of the egg. The egg acted as a cushion neatly caressing Corbyn's face. The egg bore the brunt of the punch.

Nice to see you now treating it as a joke, after spending days displaying empathy towards Farage and Tommy Robinson.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Yes. It doesn't have to be violence. 

A non-consensual application of force will suffice. Be that directly or with an item/milkshake/whatever. 

And the case law clearly states that criminal liability can still be incurred for assault when that "force" (a misleading term) is minimal and/or non-aggressive.  I'd personally struggle to class minimal and non-aggressive "force" as violence. 

So, for me, the claim that assault=violence, and the suggestion that this is always the case, is an inaccurate one. 

Throwing a milkshake = assault = violence

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Nelly Torres summarised the legal position well, but the painfully stupid A Red just ignored it. 

Says the son of 2 doctors who is convinced the mccanns murdered their own daughter, when we all know the biggest crime commited by 2 doctors was producing a cunt like you.