You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

57 minutes ago, moof said:

Fine, take “terrible” out, if that makes you happy. What would you suggest? If pouring a milkshake on someone is an illegitimate act of political opposition to the pernicious evil of the far right, what do you suggest as a better tactic? 

I dunno, i'll say it again for you, whatever you want to do that is within the law and not violent. 

Saw an interesting point that milkshakes are actually a deescalation of violence compared to what minority groups face at the hands of these people in terms of racist abuse, intimidation; on top of an ideology that essentially calls for certain groups to be wiped out

• Upvote 2

Basically a custard pie.  No moral equivalence to shooting or punches thrown, as we've seen in the past.  Don't necessarily believe in it leading to escalation either, one act is vindictive and the other is essentially iconoclastic.  Bring a spare blazer and a towel.

There is an argument that it's suppressing the right of political activists to campaign, but in the broader context of these campaigns regularly and casually breaking funding rules, I'm not too bothered.

20 minutes ago, moof said:

Saw an interesting point that milkshakes are actually a deescalation of violence compared to what minority groups face at the hands of these people in terms of racist abuse, intimidation; on top of an ideology that essentially calls for certain groups to be wiped out

How is milkshaking a politician a de-escalation of violence? The politician wasn't the one being violent in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

How is milkshaking a politician a de-escalation of violence? The politician wasn't the one being violent in the first place.

He is, as he well knows, saying things that are leading to violence.  And not the terror of having a drink thrown at your chest, but trivial stuff like Polish people having the shit kicked out of them.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

He is, as he well knows, saying things that are leading to violence.  And not the terror of having a drink thrown at your chest, but trivial stuff like Polish people having the shit kicked out of them.

What's he said specifically that incites violence?

5 hours ago, A Red said:

You said terrible violence, I just said violence, which it quite obviously is.

I would suggest anything that is within the law and doesnt include a violent act 

As I said, I've checked a few dictionary definitions of the word "violence" and none of them would include slopping a cold drink on someone. 

As for restricting your protests to anything that is within the law, thankfully Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mandela, the suffragettes, the founders of the trade union movement, etc. didn't take that approach. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

As I said, I've checked a few dictionary definitions of the word "violence" and none of them would include slopping a cold drink on someone. 

As for restricting your protests to anything that is within the law, thankfully Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mandela, the suffragettes, the founders of the trade union movement, etc. didn't take that approach. 

Try doing it to a policeman. Try doing it to me.

Righto, winning the argument with Farage over europe is comparable with the civil rights movement, apartheid, votes for women etc. Hes a twat, but really?

9 minutes ago, A Red said:

Try doing it to a policeman. Try doing it to me.

Righto, winning the argument with Farage over europe is comparable with the civil rights movement, apartheid, votes for women etc. Hes a twat, but really?

Try doing it to a policeman - or a politician - and you will be charged with committing a non-violent crime.

Try doing it to you and (I assume from that post) you would respond violently. Fair enough; that's your call. But your violent response doesn't mean that the milkshake itself was violence. 

As for my reference to Mandela, etc. nobody mentioned Farridge. Moof asked how do you oppose the far-right; you said by sticking within the law. Bollocks to that. The law says, for example, that racist hate groups like the EDL or the DFLA have the right to march through our towns and cities and the police can't stop them until after they have assaulted or directly threatened people.  That's a law I'm happy to go against. It isn't the law that keeps Liverpool Fascist-free: it's the Scousers.

If unjust laws exist to support unjust power structures, we will never achieve progress by sticking within the law.