You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

2 hours ago, Boss said:

"It's actually the opposite of violence"

Seriously? It's a criminal offence. You are forcibly throwing an object at a person without provocation. 

Is demonising muslims and immigrants, for example, more or less violent than pouring a milkshake on someone?

7 minutes ago, moof said:

Is there a connection between pouring milkshake on someone and murdering people? 

I think it is a pretty clear connection - though we probably should be more worried about government leaders condoning, nay, encouraging violence against the free press, but still a pretty good example of different "levels" of violence towards an individual by others who do not share their beliefs.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think there's a bit of a difference between a nobody with no power, no decision making ability, no way of getting his ideas implemented, and Adolf Hitler who started wars, murdered 6,000,000 Jews, is responsible for some of the most horrible crimes in history. Both my Grandfathers fought against Hitler's forces in the war, and I think they did it because they liked freedom. My issue isn't standing up to fascism, it's throwing milkshakes at people you don't like because it's tactically and strategically ignorant and foolish. It gives those people much more coverage, makes those throwing it look like cunts - along with the ideas that they espouse - and gives the cunts ammunition to say 'see what they leftists are like'. It's pretty stupid. The left is pretty shit, to be honest. Have a giggle, throw a milkshake, watch the Brexit party win. 

Good job.

I don’t think pouring milkshake on him is getting him more coverage than bbc news putting him on prime time 5 times a week 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think it is a pretty clear connection - though we probably should be more worried about government leaders condoning, nay, encouraging violence against the free press, but still a pretty good example of different "levels" of violence towards an individual by others who do not share their beliefs.

What are the stats for milkshake throwers who go on to murder? Is it a gateway drug?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, moof said:

I don’t think pouring milkshake on him is getting him more coverage than bbc news putting him on prime time 5 times a week 

Of course it does. It’s additional to anything he already has. In the case of Yaxley-Shitstick and that racist that Rico stuck up for, its deffo giving them more time and allows them to play the victim card. 

4 minutes ago, moof said:

Aren’t fascists your enemies as well? I mean, what the fuck are we talking about here

I don't have any enemies. I judge people on how they are as human beings, not their political or religious beliefs. Most of the time those beliefs are implanted early on in peoples lives. They have little control over their situation or the circumstance which informs them. 

1 minute ago, moof said:

What are the stats for milkshake throwers who go on to murder? Is it a gateway drug?

Does there have to be?

It is clear that you feel entitled to support violence against "bad" people. People you do not agree with or do not like.

It seems you are missing the point of the OP.

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Of course it does. It’s additional to anything he already has. In the case of Yaxley-Shitstick and that racist that Rico stuck up for, its deffo giving them more time and allows them to play the victim card. 

Ok, fine it’s more net publicity, but the point is he’s been handed an absolutely unprecedented platform by the mainstream media for years now. I don’t think having a milkshake poured over him is going to boost his popularity any more than softball interviews with Andrew marr and 478 question time appearances 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't have any enemies. I judge people on how they are as human beings, not their political or religious beliefs. Most of the time those beliefs are implanted early on in peoples lives. They have little control over their situation or the circumstance which informs them. 

I know, I was being facetious 

its pretty clear to anyone paying attention that you have a certain level of sympathy for those types

1 minute ago, moof said:

Ok, fine it’s more net publicity, but the point is he’s been handed an absolutely unprecedented platform by the mainstream media for years now. I don’t think having a milkshake poured over him is going to boost his popularity any more than softball interviews with Andrew marr and 478 question time appearances 

Nor do I, but he’s just one of them. And it’s just one of the negatives. 

Again, I don’t care about the cunts. I do wonder what the upside is, given the obvious downsides. A dry cleaning bill? A bit of a giggle? It just isn’t worth the trade off to me, mate. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Nor do I, but he’s just one of them. And it’s just one of the negatives. 

Again, I don’t care about the cunts. I do wonder what the upside is, given the obvious downsides. A dry cleaning bill? A bit of a giggle? It just isn’t worth the trade off to me, mate. 

That’s fair enough mate, and it’s a legitimate position to take. I happen to think it’s a pretty effective act of defiance against a terrible racist 

5 minutes ago, moof said:

I know, I was being facetious 

its pretty clear to anyone paying attention that you have a certain level of sympathy for those types

Can you show me examples of this sympathy that you're alluding to? Because as far as I know i've never sympathised with fascists.

I think this is what NV was alluding to -- it brings the whole of public political discourse down to a bunch of carneys at the state fair FFS. Certainly no one should be surprised to see these incidents escalate - they are being encouraged and lauded for this. Pretty soon someone is going to throw an egg at the Pope. The fuckin Pope!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think this is what NV was alluding to -- it brings the whole of public political discourse down to a bunch of carneys at the state fair FFS. Certainly no one should be surprised to see these incidents escalate - they are being encouraged and lauded for this. Pretty soon someone is going to throw an egg at the Pope. The fuckin Pope!

They better fucking not the cunt 

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It would be great to see the Pope throw a couple of punches at the egg thrower.