You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gash restaurants in town

Oh Buoy

8 hours ago, magicrat said:

Matou at the Pier Head is over-priced shite.  Been there three times and never had had anything the least bit memorable, other then the bill that is .  

Nothing wrong with the lunch menu, price reasonable too.

Obviously it's not a patch on the restaurant it replaced (Shanghai Palace RIP).

• Upvote 1

Only just noticed the other day that Tso's has finally closed or rather the bailiff's have closed it.

I remember going here in the mid 90's when it was one of the first eat as much as you want buffet and I remember it being not too bad, maybe that was to do with the novelty of something different .

A couple of years back me and the missus after a few drinks thought "why not for old times sake" walked in and the place was exactly the same, same carpets , same chairs but what put me off was sitting by the window where we used to always sit was a pile of noodles on the floor that I'm sure I dropped back in 96....Needless to say I made my excuses and left.

The only restaurant I can think of that probably has a minus number on the food hygiene scale.

Related image

Comes to something when an Indian can be shit even when you're pissed...

Image result for u and i indian restaurant liverpool

21 hours ago, magicrat said:

Matou at the Pier Head is over-priced shite.  Been there three times and never had had anything the least bit memorable, other then the bill that is .  

The only decent thing about Matou is having a bevvy on the roof during the summer

20 hours ago, Paul said:

Deep breath: Mowgli, Maray, Wreckfish, Italian Supper Club, Italian Fish, Leon, Lunya, Salt House, Rocket & Ruby, Bacaro, The Art School, 60 Hope St, The London Carriage Works, Rojo Pintxos, Bakchich, Deli Fonseca, Röski, Etsu, Oktopus, Pen Factory, Panoramic. 

That’s just the independents that sprang to mind. I’ll have forgotten loads. Also a couple of decent chain gaffs that are always consistent like Wahaca, Wagamama and Pizza Express. Then there are all the little cafes and coffee shops that do limited menus.   

A lot depends on when you go. I really like Lunya for lunch bu dinner there is a different, less pleasant experience as the tables are all crammed together and it gets a bit rushed (at least at weekends). I loved Oktopus too although Buyer's Club is uber-hiptser try hard. 

A couple of decent mid-range old fashioned chinese/curry places wouldn't go amiss - I'm still mourning the loss of the Mandarin although the hygiene standards turned out to be shocking. 

There’s a really good Vietnamese place on or near bold street that I went to last time I was in town, when I came over to see the terracotta warriors. Might be called Pho.

it was pho-nomenal.

that pun wasn’t. But it was lovely.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

There’s a really good Vietnamese place on or near bold street that I went to last time I was in town, when I came over to see the terracotta warriors. Might be called Pho.

it was pho-nomenal.

that pun wasn’t. But it was lovely.

It is called Pho.  Been there 4 or 5 times and the food is really good. Not too pricey and the staff nice.

On 19/05/2019 at 12:08, magicrat said:

I like Matou, yeah it’s expensive but it’s good. I’ve been 3 times too, because it’s very good. I wouldn’t go to a restaurant 3 times like yourself if it was overpriced shite and not in the least bit memorable, I’d go somewhere else if I thought that. 

Just now, liverpoolsno9 said:

I like Matou, yeah it’s expensive but it’s good. I’ve been 3 times too, because it’s very good. I wouldn’t go to a restaurant 3 times like yourself if it was overpriced shite and not in the least bit memorable, I’d go somewhere else if I thought that. 

I didn't go willingly more than once. Birthdays and get togethers organised by others.

Every time the starters were not freshly cooked . Don't like chewy prawns on toast and chewy ribs.

Main courses were ok but you would get better in a dozen restaurants in Chinatown

10 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I didn't go willingly more than once. Birthdays and get togethers organised by others.

Every time the starters were not freshly cooked . Don't like chewy prawns on toast and chewy ribs.

Main courses were ok but you would get better in a dozen restaurants in Chinatown

I thought the starters in Matou were the best I’ve had anywhere in town, and I’ve been to most Chinese restaurants, it’s the only thing I’ll eat when I go out. The main courses are really nice too, but they’re not the most generous of portions. That’s probably the only negative for me. 

1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I thought the starters in Matou were the best I’ve had anywhere in town, and I’ve been to most Chinese restaurants, it’s the only thing I’ll eat when I go out. The main courses are really nice too, but they’re not the most generous of portions. That’s probably the only negative for me. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree

On 18/05/2019 at 20:47, Section_31 said:

Have genuinely never been to a good one in town, they're all shite for different reasons, either too noisy, catering increasingly for stag and hen wankers, or counting the days until environmental health close them down. 

The best places are all on the outskirts, allerton, aigburth etc.

Check out Belzan. Gem of a place.

On 19/05/2019 at 20:33, Nelly-Torres said:

Anybody been to Zorba's on the corner of Leece Street?

Tried there first the other day before the Italian Club. Went at an awkward time, not lunch and not tea, about 3:30 as we hadn't eaten all day. But it was deserted and we waited a few minutes before some bloke came out of the kitchen who couldn't speak great English and tried to advise us to come back as the waiting staff hadn't come in for their shift yet. 

That put me off a bit, but the food and menu look nice. Might give it another try at a different time. 

Probably thought you weren’t going to pay. 

• Upvote 1

A 'Gash Restaurant' reminds me of those places you'd see featured in Europe on some late night show with Grub Smith where a naked young lady would be smothered in cream and pieces of fruit while men would eat the fruit and cream from her lady parts and breasts. I'm sure it would be the most popular place in town if one opened over here.