You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

American Politics

Boss

160721_abc_rnc_donald_trump_cutdown_16x9

“Joe Biden is a loser. Brayden Harrington is a loser. People who stutter are losers. They can’t talk properly. Not like me. I can talk the best in the world. You know who I like? People who don’t stutter. People who can talk properly. They’re winners.”

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Eric Idle wants to sue the Republican Congressional Committee for using a Pythoin song in one of their ads.

“While we sue these low life thieving reprobates lets VOTE for Cindy to piss them off,” Idle said in the tweet. “Are all Republicans now lawless? Whatever happened to America?”

What song did they use ?!?!?! 

I can only assume it’s the dramatic music when Brian falls off the roof into the spaceship then goes for a burton with them two aliens then crashes. Ooh you lucky bastard. 

13 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

oh posted about this in the trump thread this would have been more appropriate. 

Mitch McConnell and the republicans stopped Obama appointing someone with 8months to go before the election in 2016, but yet he’s saying they want to appoint someone before the election in <50 days.

Shocked but I look forward to them explaining how it is different this time and not politically hypocritical in any way.

Also forgive my ignorance here but the republicans seem to be able to shit on the Democrats regularly with seemingly little fight back.

From appointing judges to the Supreme Court, gerrymandering of voting regions to their favour and straight up voter suppression via the USPS being forced to remove sorting machines to make 3 examples.

why can’t the Democrats fight back and lodge legal appeals? Don’t they appeal too hard because they do similar shit when they are in power? 

3 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Also forgive my ignorance here but the republicans seem to be able to shit on the Democrats regularly with seemingly little fight back.

From appointing judges to the Supreme Court, gerrymandering of voting regions to their favour and straight up voter suppression via the USPS being forced to remove sorting machines to make 3 examples.

why can’t the Democrats fight back and lodge legal appeals? Don’t they appeal too hard because they do similar shit when they are in power? 

Theyre mostly the same people with the same goals they pick their colour tie out of a tombola on their last day in delta beta kappa or whatever the fuck that shit is they do. Illusion of choice with a fringe of normal people jumping into politics for the right reasons. Well that's my conspiracy of choice anyway.

19 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

For me it is the usual "compromise and work together" bollocks. One of Bidens selling points is how he can get cross party agreement and he had quite a few Republicans support him at their conference.

The democrats compromise and move towards the republicans when in power, the republicans don't but talk a good game.

If I remember the Democrats actually put forward a right leaning judge, someone the republicans could support, as a compromise to the republicans completely breaking the rules. Obviously they didn't and then went for a right wing nut case once they had the power to appoint. I don't imagine a central/left leaning judge will be proposed by this time as a nod to the democrats.

Edit: As @Bobby Hundreds said, two sides of the same coin, mainly with the same goals helps also.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Shocked but I look forward to them explaining how it is different this time and not politically hypocritical in any way.

Moscow mitch and his republican cohorts just don't care that they're hypocrites. They blatantly know they're not playing by the rules that they once made the Democrats dance to. None of their insidious, knuckle dragging base give a fuck either as they just see it as "owning the left" and that the evil gays can't get married anymore and the precious unborn zygote will be protected, until it gets out of the womb that is and then they won't give a flying fuck about it.

McConnell has already said, 90 mins after ginsberg died to be precise, that any trump pick would get a hearing in this Senate.

The only way the Democrats can counter it is if they win the Senate and white House and just appoint more justices as there is no set number. It went to ten during the civil war but has been 9 since then. 

7 hours ago, JagSquared said:

It is a three legged table - right now the Dems have control of the least powerful of the three legs.

That combined with a POTUS who is doing whatever he can to increase the power of the Executive branch - to the point of being repeatedly legally challenged.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is a three legged table - right now the Dems have control of the least powerful of the three legs.

That combined with a POTUS who is doing whatever he can to increase the power of the Executive branch - to the point of being repeatedly legally challenged.

Surely they have gone beyond the point of being able to be legally challenged numerous times during Trumps presidency. The USPS stuff is outright voter suppression. Every time I see something in the news I think that can’t be legal but there’s no challenge most of the time just people complaining. Maybe I’m wrong and it is legal and they can do whatever they want.

3 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Surely they have gone beyond the point of being able to be legally challenged numerous times during Trumps presidency. The USPS stuff is outright voter suppression. Every time I see something in the news I think that can’t be legal but there’s no challenge most of the time just people complaining. Maybe I’m wrong and it is legal and they can do whatever they want.

There have been challenges at every step - turns out the legal system is not really that efficient when it comes to decisions.

12 hours ago, JagSquared said:

oh posted about this in the trump thread this would have been more appropriate. 

Mitch McConnell and the republicans stopped Obama appointing someone with 8months to go before the election in 2016, but yet he’s saying they want to appoint someone before the election in <50 days.

Republican senate blocked Merrick Garland after Obama nominated him.  Republican's get to nominate/vote whoever they want tough shit if the Democrats can't stop it now it's reversed.

• 2 months later...