You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

American Politics

Boss

On 05/07/2020 at 04:23, Anubis said:

So, is Kanye trying to split the black vote and damage Biden? What’s the word on the ground, Howie?

HOAX!!

The commission receives “lots of false and fictitious filings,” and if it discovers incorrect information, it sends a notice to the filer, the spokesperson said.

The filing for "Ye West" indicates that the candidate will use their own money to run as a Libertarian with the candidate’s principal campaign committee VISION2020. The Libertarian Party’s official 2020 candidate is Jo Jorgensen.

The filing for "Mr. Kenye Omari West" lists his party affiliation as "PEACE AND FREEDOM" and names the campaign committee as "Ye for America."

Kanye has not registered, anywhere. 

On 01/06/2020 at 08:28, AngryofTuebrook said:

Hasan Minhaj came up with  (what sounded like) a neat summary of the American economy on Patriot Act

He said "Everything we want is fucking amazing - iPhones, Amazon, Grubhub; everything we need is dogshit - schools, airports, trains."

Sounds like a more general critique of capitalism, to me.

Good little show that. I’ve enjoyed catching up with it, even though some of the American pop culture references go straight over my head. 

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

HOAX!!

The commission receives “lots of false and fictitious filings,” and if it discovers incorrect information, it sends a notice to the filer, the spokesperson said.

The filing for "Ye West" indicates that the candidate will use their own money to run as a Libertarian with the candidate’s principal campaign committee VISION2020. The Libertarian Party’s official 2020 candidate is Jo Jorgensen.

The filing for "Mr. Kenye Omari West" lists his party affiliation as "PEACE AND FREEDOM" and names the campaign committee as "Ye for America."

Kanye has not registered, anywhere. 

I ain't sayin' he's a vote rigger, 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

And as if 2020 wasn’t already bad enough, publicity hound, Kanye West, joins what will be for him a very short-lived presidential race.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/20/kanye-west-launches-presidential-campaign-tour-with-chaotic-rally

The rapper took to the stage at the event wearing a bulletproof vest, and “2020” shaved into his head. Without a mic, he proceeded to address a rowdy audience of a few hundred people, asking for complete silence before asserting that future events “will be in rooms where the acoustics will be incredible because I will be involved with the design”.

West repeatedly referenced the terms of his deal with Adidas, his faith in God and racism in the US, including an assertion that “[abolitionist] Harriet Tubman never actually freed the slaves, she just had the slaves go work for other white people”.

Tubman is one of the most respected figures of 19th century America. An African American who escaped slavery, she helped enslaved Black men and women travel north to freedom and fought for the Union during the Civil War. She later became a supporter of women’s suffrage.

But the event hit peak emotional intensity when West began to tell a story about what he believed was divine intervention into his life in a way that caused his wife, Kim Kardashian West, to refuse to terminate a pregnancy.

“I was having the rapper’s lifestyle,” he said. “I was sitting up in Paris, and I had my leather pants on … and I had my laptop up and I got all of my creative ideas … And the screen went black and white and God said, ‘if you fuck with my vision I’m going to fuck with yours’.

“And I called my wife and she said, we’re gonna have this baby. I said we’re gonna have this child … So even if my wife were to divorce me after this speech, she brought North into the world when I didn’t want to. She stood up and she protected that child.”

West then started crying when speaking about his father, who he said had wanted his mother to have an abortion when she was pregnant with him.

“My mom saved my life. My dad wanted to abort me. My mom saved my life. There would have been no Kanye West because my dad was too busy,” he said, sobbing into his hand, before shouting: “I almost killed my daughter! I almost killed my daughter!”

Referencing the media coverage of the event, he then said: “They’re going to run this, they’re going to tell you that I’m crazy. [Well] the world’s crazy!”

He then called up to the stage a pro-choice activist who had been yelling questions to him in response to his story. He claimed he understood “why someone would make the choice of getting an abortion” and eventually clarified that his position wasn’t that abortion should be banned, but rather that maximum financial assistance should be made available to women who do have children.

“My stance is not to make abortion illegal at all. It should always be legal. But there should be an option of maximum increase available … Maximum increase would be, everybody that has a baby gets a million dollars,” he said. He did not say where this money would come from.

“It takes a village to raise a child,” he said. “Society has been set up for single moms to not have a village, to not have a child.”

West’s remarks, which were mostly yelled in order to be heard by the crowd, repeatedly circled back to his Christianity.

“We are all equal in God’s eyes,” he said. “Sometimes people are controlled by demons, sometimes people are controlled by the environment that we are in but we are all God’s people, there [are] no bad people. There are lost people, but we are all God’s people.”

Struggling to be heard, West repeatedly told audience members to be quiet at the same time as assuring them that he was “not trying to quiet their voices”. The event ended after West was substantially drowned out by the shouting crowd.

West announced his intention to run for president on 5 July but he missed the deadline to qualify for the ballot in several states, and it was unclear if he was willing or able to collect enough signatures required to qualify in others.

Last week, he qualified to appear on Oklahoma’s presidential ballot, the first state where he met the requirements before the filing deadline.

West needed to collect 10,000 signatures by noon Monday to appear on the South Carolina ballot, according to state law. The entertainer tweeted out a list of locations around the Charleston area where petitions could be signed.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Trump getting grilled by a journalist on his competency test saying it was very difficult but he passed, the journalist said he took the test and one of the questions was "what is that" and it was an Elephant.

Shows what you fuckin know - 

Trump answered "A Republican".

#winningbigly

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Trump getting grilled by a journalist on his competency test saying it was very difficult but he passed, the journalist said he took the test and one of the questions was "what is that" and it was an Elephant.

Thank god im not a yank. I'd have struggled with that. Hope the other questions weren't so difficult.

On 20/07/2020 at 15:05, Red Phoenix said:

Kayne West the absolute fucking fruitcake.

I regret saying this now and didn't mean anything personal by it, looks like he genuinely does have mental issues. Wouldn't have said that if I'd have known (having had my own fair share of problems too.) His wife has now talked about him having bipolar disorder apparently.

Hopefully he'll quit this presidential run thing he's either actually doing or just trolling around with if it's making him worse, which it probably will be doing with all of the increased attention he's facing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It really annoys and disgusts me the way most politicians, on both sides of the Atlantic, have open contempt for people who have to work for a living.  Tory MPs used to shout drinks orders to John Prescott, because they thought it was an insult to remind him that he used to be a waiter.

One of the things I love about AOC is her apparent determination to treat work, even in a job that doesn't generally command respect, as a source of pride.

Screenshot_20200823-103358.png

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It really annoys and disgusts me the way most politicians, on both sides of the Atlantic, have open contempt for people who have to work for a living.  Tory MPs used to shout drinks orders to John Prescott, because they thought it was an insult to remind him that he used to be a waiter.

One of the things I love about AOC is her apparent determination to treat work, even in a job that doesn't generally command respect, as a source of pride.

Screenshot_20200823-103358.png

I love her

• Like 1