You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

American Politics

Boss

24 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

One of the key problems with the policies of Sanders and Corbyn seems to be cost and the amount of different things proposed. They announce a set of things and a lot of people lose track, don't think it's realistic and can't work out how it'll be paid for. Maybe if both of them hadn't focused on so many things and instead narrowed it down to a few key issues then said they'd at least try with some of the other things that would've helped.

I'm speaking about Sanders in the past tense now because I think he's done. Biden is hammering him in Florida polls I think and some others, if they're right it's well over by this point.

There are still over half the states left to vote. It’s a long shot but there’s still a chance - biden needs 50% of remaining delegates, Bernie needs 56%, and they are still to debate head to head.
We have to hope people will see that Biden has absolutely zero of the solutions to our problems (just look at his proposed cabinet picks for fucks sake) and they snap out of the mass delusion that this guy is in any way capable of fighting an election vs trump or in the event that he somehow wins, is able to carry out the job of president. 

13 minutes ago, moof said:

There are still over half the states left to vote. It’s a long shot but there’s still a chance - biden needs 50% of remaining delegates, Bernie needs 56%, and they are still to debate head to head.
We have to hope people will see that Biden has absolutely zero of the solutions to our problems (just look at his proposed cabinet picks for fucks sake) and they snap out of the mass delusion that this guy is in any way capable of fighting an election vs trump or in the event that he somehow wins, is able to carry out the job of president. 

He can still mathematically do it but it'd need a miracle with the way voters are going for Biden at the moment I think. It'll be interesting to see how the debate goes though and I can't see Biden doing well in it.

54 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Maybe they don't think the system is so destructive and cruel as you do, or they don't believe in the offered alternative? Maybe they have different values?

42 minutes ago, moof said:

Maybe they reside in a different reality? Maybe they can’t see what’s right in front of their faces? 

Maybe their expectations have been steadily lowered by the political and media establishments to the point that they don’t believe real progressive change is even possible any more.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Maybe their expectations have been steadily lowered by the political and media establishments to the point that they don’t believe progressive change is even possible any more.

Neil, you might be on to something there

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It's over.

Sanders has already lost a number of states he won last time around. It is also really difficult to get elected as a Dem when your support among black voters is in the low teens.

Why do they support Biden? And hated Pete?

What I find amazing/outstanding/worrying is how quickly the Democratic voters can flip on the back of basically the South Carolina result, a state everyone knew Biden was going to win months ago. A lot of voters seem to have no interest/knowledge of the policies/history of any candidates and just see who is leading and vote for them. 

In virtually (I think it was every but can't remember) every Super Tuesday state the number on issue for voters was Mediacare for all with a majority being in favour of a government run system but they voted for Biden. The majority said the system needed a complete make over but they voted for Biden. 

Before South Carolina the vast majority of these states were backing Sanders heavily, they flipped immediately. 

I know a few candidates dropped out/endorsed Biden but again it seems to me the logic is we vote for a winner and nothing else matters. Now he has endorsements from former runners who condemned him, anyone with a passing interest can see they are more interested in their own political career than anything else, but that doesn't seem to matter. 

The fact the DNC and the majority of media state Sanders has no chance of beating Trump, despite polls showing the opposite, appears to override 100% of everything else. 

It could be argued that Sanders will not beat Trump but he has a better chance than Biden. 

Biden is Clinton 2016 rerun and it will end exactly the same way. Obviously the DNC will then blame Sanders and his supporters just like Clinton did and is continuing to do. 

Sanders losing to Clinton/Biden proves that people do not want radical populist politics. Clinton losing to Trump proves that people want centrist politics apparently.

This thing is over.

You can complain all you like that Bernie would have made a much better president than Biden but there's no getting around the fact that Trump is MILES worse than either of them. Now that it's clear who the ultimate winner is going to be I'm hoping Sanders will just drop out (maybe he can win a few promises from Biden about minimum wage or something as a concession behind closed doors).

I wonder who he'll pick as his running mate. At his age there's a good chance he only has one term if he wins, so that choice will be really important. Needs to be someone who can help defeat Trump but also who would make a good president in 2024.

I'll be honest,  I am that pissed off at the media manipulation in the US and UK and the antics of the centrist / right wings of Labour and Democrats , I rather hope Bernie runs for president as an independent and the Democrats can suck on Trump for another 4 years seeing as they seem to prefer him to Sanders.

If the polls show the same will happen next week, he probably does not have a realistic chance. If you want him out, you can now easily spin it he is running for selfish reasons, against the interests of the DNC, preventing them to focus on Trump etc.

Foe me, the next debate is Sanders only chance, he basically needs Biden to have a complete meltdown and show how bad he would be against Trump. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/clyburn-calls-for-shutting-dem-primary-down-canceling-debates-after-biden-surge

In a conversation with NPR as the results were coming in, Clyburn – who already has endorsed Biden – said that if Biden were to sweep the six contests, it would be best for the party to put an end to the primary race, debates and all.

RACE FOR DELEGATES: BIDEN GROWS LEAD OVER SANDERS AFTER MIDWEST VICTORIES

"I think when the night is over, Joe Biden will be the prohibitive favorite to win the Democratic nomination, and quite frankly, if the night ends the way it has begun, I think it is time for us to shut this primary down, it is time for us to cancel the rest of these debates," Clyburn said, "because you don’t do anything but get yourself in trouble if you continue in this contest when it’s obvious that the numbers will not shake out for you."

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

What happens when Bernie and Bidden both die from Coronavirus?

Trump will say it's the bestest Virus ever and forgive Huawei. 

Then you better hope that all the "new" voters that are going to lift Sanders start showing up...or maybe not.

Voter turnout increased from 2016 in the Michigan, Minnesota and Mississippi primaries.

The largest bump was in Michigan, where turnout was up by 30.5%, and they are still counting the votes. CNN has projected former Vice President Joe Biden will win in Michigan, which will be a pivotal state in the general election this fall. 

Turnout was up more than 17% in Mississippi and more than 5% in Missouri.