You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Madrid as a city, any advice?

Reckoner

I’ve never been to Madrid before, just wanted to ask about general advice particularly in doing it on a budget.

Also any recommended bars or cheap cafes etc, to anyone that’s been before? Much appreciated. What squares will everyone be drinking in? I’m staying somewhere near Plaza Mayor, I’m sure if there’s a supermarket selling Cruz campo nearby I’ll be as happy as a pig in shit.

my trip there involves a 10 hour wait in Romania, and an overnight stay in Valencia on the way back. But I’ll be there, which is what I wanted to share/ show off.

• Upvote 3

If you can speak a little bit of Spanish I think this would help quite a lot. And take some Euros with you as I don't think they know what UK £ Sterling is. Or if they do they probably won't accept it. Not cool.

I went in 2007 with my footy team to watch Real Madrid and play a couple of games against local teams. 

We stayed in a hotel by Puerto Del Sol which isn't that far from Plaza Mayor. Our hotel was right next to Sevilla Metro station. The main squares can be very pricey and expect to pay 6 Euros for a pint of run of the mill Spanish lager. 

If you venture away from the main areas and Irish bars the prices will go down significantly. A woman on my team in work went 3 weeks ago and sat out in Plaza Mayor and she said the drinks she bought were really expensive. 

There's more bars per square mile in Madrid than any other city in Europe apparently so go off all the side streets between Sol and Plaza Mayor. They stay open all night as well. Probably better to wander off the beaten track so you don't bump into the fountain pusher and all the gegs.

Beware of pickpockets in Madrid, it's not as bad as Barcelona but I got my watch robbed off my wrist and my mate got his wallet robbed. All whilst we were sitting outside. 

Retiro Park is a beautiful place to go to in the sunny weather and there's normally loads of scantily clad women sunbathing. The lake and the Palm house there are impressive. Even if you get a crate of ale and sit off in the park it's a great way to spend an afternoon or a full day if you aren't a lightweight. It's the next metro stop up from Sevilla station and Banco D'Espana.

I went to a few bars around by the Vicente Calderón  (Piramides Metro) and everything was quite cheap. No tourists there at all and the locals were friendly. Probably not much reason to go there now as the stadium is no longer in use. 

Did the Bernabeu stadium tour, it's defo worth doing as you get a ticket for the museum as well. The stadium is easy to get to as it has a metro station literally outside the ground. 

The palace is also worth a visit even if you just wander round outside then visit a nearby bar for a drink.

If you are there for a couple of days it's worth getting a train to Toledo. It's an old medieval town where a lot of the swords for films and TV shows are made. Has a few rooftop bars that overlook the countryside. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Doctor Troy, thanks for lots of genuinely useful information  mate.

edit- although I’m not going near the friggin bernaboa.

everyone else, yep thanks for that! ( made me smile a lot actually)

The bernabeu museum is really very good. Top class.

madrid is a fantastic city.

i stayed in a hostel for 5 nights a couple of years ago in an area called Malasana, which is sort of art student area. 

Dirt cheap, lots of bars, plenty of life, but interesting too.

met friendly people in a punk rock bar called “the wrong way” and mad just got a really pretty girl to take me out for dinner the following night, when Daniel the cock blocking knobhead decided to get himself involved in the conversation. Fuck you, Daniel. Nobody likes you, Daniel. You’re a cunt, Daniel.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

The bernabeu museum is really very good. Top class.

madrid is a fantastic city.

i stayed in a hostel for 5 nights a couple of years ago in an area called Malasana, which is sort of art student area. 

Dirt cheap, lots of bars, plenty of life, but interesting too.

met friendly people in a punk rock bar called “the wrong way” and mad just got a really pretty girl to take me out for dinner the following night, when Daniel the cock blocking knobhead decided to get himself involved in the conversation. Fuck you, Daniel. Nobody likes you, Daniel. You’re a cunt, Daniel.

Was Daniel your brother?

• Upvote 1

Daniel was a cunt.

she was beautiful, and I was travelling alone. And even if Daniel’s cock blocking antics provide me with a convenient excuse for why I didn’t manage end up married to her, he’s still a cunt.

I went to Madrid in 2014 for the match with my brother and we had a great time. We stayed in an apartment by Tribunal station which is close to where Doctor Troy was. We wandered into a restaurant on Calle De Reina called Casa 9 and the meal was top notch. We basically just wandered around popping into whichever bars/restaurants looked alright and it was honestly one of the best couple of days I've ever had.

I've since been to Barcelona a couple of times and my memory tells me that Madrid is a much better city, although this trip in a few weeks will confirm that.

We went to the main square where all the reds had congregated (Plaza Mayor I think) but we only stayed for 10 minutes because there was a fair few bellends around. I prefer just wandering around the local places. Can't wait for this trip.

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Daniel was a cunt.

she was beautiful, and I was travelling alone. And even if Daniel’s cock blocking antics provide me with a convenient excuse for why I didn’t manage end up married to her, he’s still a cunt.

Daniel is reading this while she is sucking his balls. 

16 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I’ve never been to Madrid before, just wanted to ask about general advice particularly in doing it on a budget.

Also any recommended bars or cheap cafes etc, to anyone that’s been before? Much appreciated. What squares will everyone be drinking in? I’m staying somewhere near Plaza Mayor, I’m sure if there’s a supermarket selling Cruz campo nearby I’ll be as happy as a pig in shit.

my trip there involves a 10 hour wait in Romania, and an overnight stay in Valencia on the way back. But I’ll be there, which is what I wanted to share/ show off.

Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Doctor Troy, thanks for lots of genuinely useful information  mate.

edit- although I’m not going near the friggin bernaboa.

everyone else, yep thanks for that! ( made me smile a lot actually)

Cheers. I've been twice, went on my own in 2002. Got a flight for 14.99 return from Liverpool and booked myself into a hotel by Puerto Del sol. It was 34 Euro's a night. You will probably see it as it has a massive Tio Pepe sign on it. Looked the other day and the robbing bastards wanted about 850 for 3 nights. It was one of the most basic hotels I've stayed in as well. 

In 2007 when I went with my footy team it was one of the most funniest 3 days I've had because we just wound up 2 Evertonians non stop. 

We went to the bull fight and usually they have 6 bulls and we left after 3 were killed. I told the Evertonians that we should get off because the bulls aren't going to come back from 3 down like Liverpool in Istanbul. They just lost the plot and stormed off and wouldn't speak to anyone for a few hours. 

It is a genuinely amazing place, i would avoid all the uber scousers bellends and gegs. You'll have an amazing time.

It's a lovely, clean, majestic city. There are many beautiful fountains. Visit an outdoor pool or two (Lido's). Avoid football fans, especially London ones. I second the Retiro Park shout - it's a nice place to spend some time. The palace is pretty amazing. The Prado museum is good - I got engaged outside there many years ago. Eat plenty of aged ham, and freshly made churros. Don't get too hung up on beer prices (you only live once) but don't get ripped off either. Go for a walk down the Gran Via. 

It's probably less manic than Barcelona for good and bad. Spain is just a bloody good place. 

Hmmm. Getting jealous now.