You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Virtues

Dr Nowt

Getting a great write-up everywhere and unsurprisingly looking like a deep dive into something troubling and hard to watch.

The sequence which turned into a session was horribly familiar. That tight-rope of briefly feeling you’re king of the world when that’s very far from the case and the wheels are ready to come off any second.

• Upvote 2

Rewatched this before and love Meadows’ eye for subtle little plot touches. Joseph half-jokingly taking salad off the lad’s plate in the dinner scene for example, instantly filled in any blanks of the set-up at that table.

I also think he’s brilliant at picking out the perfect soundtrack, invariably stripped down Americana, to set a soul-searching tone and draw out the emotion of a scene. From Vessel in Vain accompanying old sepia photos and Richard grimly marching across the landscape as Dead Man’s Shoes opens, to the numerous Einaudi set-pieces in This Is England, to Whirlwind of Rubbish as Milky sets in motion his terrible revenge in TIE 90.

Now this, as Joseph is bashed by elemental forces and his own memories as this opening episode moves towards its end. Great craftsman.

On the other hand, wasn’t at all sure on the lengthy POV scene, despite getting the aim and purpose.

• Upvote 1

Right I've just watched the first episode.

Fuck me that was hard to watch. The pub scene in particular. I feel like I have just watched myself from 2 years ago on the TV. Different circumstances but the hopelessness, the despair everything just hit really fucking hard. The similarities were beyond rational explanation. I'm sure many of us have been there. Those that have will have felt the same sickness. I just wanted the pub scene to end. Then the programme. 

What an actor as well. Jesus I've not wept like that in ages. Welling up again as I type. Powerful powerful TV. 

Oh and Sinbad is a cunt. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Champ said:

Just put this on. I’m 15 minutes in and I’m breaking my heart here

I’ve sat and watched this on my own in the house. Oh, lord, I think I need a big hug

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Have a virtual one xx

Thanks

20 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Right I've just watched the first episode.

Fuck me that was hard to watch. The pub scene in particular. I feel like I have just watched myself from 2 years ago on the TV. Different circumstances but the hopelessness, the despair everything just hit really fucking hard. The similarities were beyond rational explanation. I'm sure many of us have been there. Those that have will have felt the same sickness. I just wanted the pub scene to end. Then the programme. 

What an actor as well. Jesus I've not wept like that in ages. Welling up again as I type. Powerful powerful TV. 

Oh and Sinbad is a cunt. 

You were doing the, I could just turn this off thing too?

Let’s not go back over Line of Duty but he’s utterly convincing in these kind of roles

23 minutes ago, Champ said:

Thanks

You were doing the, I could just turn this off thing too?

Let’s not go back over Line of Duty but he’s utterly convincing in these kind of roles

I couldn't turn it off as much as I wanted too. He was exceptional in this, was talking earlier about some of the most powerful TV moments I've seen and he was in 3 of the others in the This is England lot. Incredible actor when playing a raw part. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Still don’t know if I’m going to watch the next one. 

Yeah, OK. You’re gonna watch it and then you’ll post on here that you haven’t cried like that for years even though you said that last week and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that.