You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham Hotspur (N) 1/6/19 Champions League Final

Bjornebye

11 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Having watched it a few times now (so, so many times) I am more convinced than ever that Mane flicked that ball up into Sissoko's arm on purpose.

Just in case you needed any more convincing..

Looking back at it, it seemed Sadio even had the time and awareness to delay slightly to make sure it was inside.

ugrkbyF.gif

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Oh he definitely did it deliberately. Look how quickly his own arm goes up to appeal & he's literally looking him straight on as he kicks the ball. Its glorious. Sissoko shouldn't have been such a muggins with his arm out-stretched. Intention is irrelevant; he deflected the flight of the ball.

It's still hard to believe that Sissoko situation actually happened. When you think about it, when has a player ever pointed to someone else like that in his own box with his arm so fully out? I feel like I've never seen that before. Just a total brain freeze moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

I don't think it was deliberate from Mane.  Out of shot is Jordan Henderson running to get on the end of it.  It was just a very nice by-product of an otherwise ordinary piece of play. 

Yep, I only noticed Hendo's run yesterday, he was definitely trying to find him.

Guest Alex_K
48 minutes ago, TK421 said:

If he meant it, it wasn't very accurate because it hits Sissoko's chest first and then rolls onto his arm.  You can't tell where Mane is looking from that shot because you can't see his eyes.

At the point Mane kicks the ball, Sissokos arm is more vertically raised, then you can see it comes down to a horizontal position after the ball has left Mane's boot. Henderson's about 20 yards outside the box - don't think theres a chance he's getting onto that pass at the moment Mane hits it.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

At the point Mane kicks the ball, Sissokos arm is more vertically raised, then you can see it comes down to a horizontal position after the ball has left Mane's boot. Henderson's about 20 yards outside the box - don't think theres a chance he's getting onto that pass at the moment Mane hits it.

So you're saying that Mane anticipated Sissoko lowering his arm after he had kicked it?  That's a bit far fetched, I think.

I'm not ruling it out, but on the balance of probabilities I think it's more likely he saw Henderson's run and was trying to pick him out.  

I also think that if he'd meant it he may have said something by now, such as "I meant it". 

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

So you're saying that Mane anticipated Sissoko lowering his arm after he had kicked it?  That's a bit far fetched, I think.

Not at all - Mane lifts the ball vertically in the air, Sissokos arm is vertically in the air, Sissoko brings his arm down when the ball is in flight and as he does it hits the top of his arm and then ricochets down across the length of it. Of course, no footballer is going to admit such diabolical intent & bringing the game into disrepute, and its also really irrelevant whether he meant it or not after the fact, but he has a devilish streak and it would not at all be surprising if he had that cunning about him. We've missed it over the years.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Not at all - Mane lifts the ball vertically in the air, Sissokos arm is vertically in the air, Sissoko brings his arm down and as he does it hits the top of his arm and ricochets down across the length of it. Of course, no footballer is going to admit such diabolical intent & bringing the game into disrepute, and its also really irrelevant whether he meant it or not after the fact, but he has a devilish streak and it would not at all be surprising if he had that cunning about him. We've missed it over the years.

Fair enough.  I don't think you can definitely say one way or another, but for me he was simply trying to pick out Henderson.  

Sissoko made a really bad start to the game.  Even before the penalty he gives a hospital ball to Winks who loses the resulting aerial challenge.  Two mistakes with a mere 21 seconds on the clock when the ball strikes his arm.