You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham Hotspur (N) 1/6/19 Champions League Final

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

It's worth watching the match again in full.  It's very enjoyable watching it stress free.

During the match I wanted Jermaine Jenas to get fucked with a rusty chainsaw.  But watching it back, I actually agree with 99% of what he says, putting the inherent Spurs bias he has to one side.  McManaman also had a solid 90 minutes, but I didn't notice it all during the match.

It's actually an interesting tactical battle when you take the emotion out of the occasion.  I'm planning on watching it once more in full.  

I also rewatched it.

I don't think there is a game since Klopp joined where we have been more pragmatic, but we did it in Klopp's way. We defended in kind of a mid-block with some really effective pressing instead of the usual low block teams often go for.

In the first half, Sissoko and Winks were picking up the ball just in front of their box and were totally separated from the forwards. It was class. We totally stopped them from playing until about minute 80 where they started finding Son in behind and were pumping the long balls forward.

The only thing is we were really sloppy with the ball, almost comically so. But in the end, it was a conservative, old-school final's performance, one that I would have never thought I'd see under someone like Klopp who is said to be so dogmatic. We finished with 35% possession!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I also rewatched it.

I don't think there is a game since Klopp joined where we have been more pragmatic, but we did it in Klopp's way. We defended in kind of a mid-block with some really effective pressing instead of the usual low block teams often go for.

In the first half, Sissoko and Winks were picking up the ball just in front of their box and were totally separated from the forwards. It was class. We totally stopped them from playing until about minute 80 where they started finding Son in behind and were pumping the long balls forward.

The only thing is we were really sloppy with the ball, almost comically so. But in the end, it was a conservative, old-school final's performance, one that I would have never thought I'd see under someone like Klopp who is said to be so dogmatic. We finished with 35% possession!

It was horrible to watch at the time. I didn't enjoy it at all until Origi scored, when I went fucking nuts for the first time all season.  It's the only goal I've properly celebrated. 

It wasn't a great game, but I appreciated that for once, I felt rather relaxed watching a crucial final, because we were up since minute 2. Spurs didn't present much of a threat. The only time I was seriously concerned was when Alli had a chance to curve into the top far corner, but it landed harmlessly into Alisson's hands. On the other hand, Milner should have finished that best crafted chance of the entire game. 

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

It was horrible to watch at the time. I didn't enjoy it at all until Origi scored, when I went fucking nuts for the first time all season.  It's the only goal I've properly celebrated. 

Really? The only goal you properly celebrated? What did you do for Origi in the Derby, Origi Barca, Origi Newcastle away or salah/hendo Soton away?

29 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Really? The only goal you properly celebrated? What did you do for Origi in the Derby, Origi Barca, Origi Newcastle away or salah/hendo Soton away?

Origi in the derby I just laughed.

Origi  v Barca I kind of smiled contently, but didn't celebrate full on because the job wasn't done.  The memories of Kiev and other near misses were still raw.

Origi v Newcastle away I couldn't celebrate because I was in with the home fans.  I gave it a discrete mild fist-pump, if that counts.

Hendo v Soton was good I'll give you that, but I was more concerned about Man City dropping points. No full on celebration.

Origi v Spurs in the CL final - fucking full on TK living room knee slide and almighty cry of "yessssssssssssssss.  Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss". 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AdamD said:

HI should know this but who is the member of the back room staff who hugged Sadio whilst they were going up for medals / trophy.  Fella in a white shirt?

Thanks 

Not seen it since Saturday night but I think (from memory) it was Ray Haughan, who's the main Player Liaison staff member.

I’m still walking around with a massive grin on my face! I also find myself singing ‘let’s talk about 6 baby’ !!

I celebrated madly after Origi’s goal and Mr Suzy said ‘it’s not over yet’ and I replied ‘oh but it is’ Really good feeling.

I think this Spurs played better thing is all down to Hoddle and his ridiculous comments.

6 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

New song:

Let's talk about six, baby

Let's talk about Origi ...

next?

Someone put one together earlier in one of the threads...

lets talk about six baby

lets talk about Origi

lets talk about beating Bayern, smashing Barca, easily

lets talk about Six!

9 hours ago, Juniper said:

Not seen it since Saturday night but I think (from memory) it was Ray Haughan, who's the main Player Liaison staff member.

That lad always reminds me of Tom in the God Father.

With it being my boy's wedding on Saturday and his bride to be being a high maintenance drama queen, I wanted Saturday to be their special day. It was the first European Cup \ CL final Id missed since 1968 and Ive never missed a final Liverpool have played in. It was tough but people gave me the score up dates which only made it harder in the end!

Brother in law is a chelsea nob and he's giving it 'we're champions of europe, you're a bunch of losers' soon as we walked into the Friday evening session. He's almost as big a nob as Jason 'chelsea have had a better season than Liverpool' Cundy.

So I only got to watch the build up and game yesterday evening. Id heard people say it wasnt a pen and Spurs were the better side but, watching the game back and, while watching it live Id have been a bag of nerves.

The BIL was saying it was never a pen and VAR will 'sort us out' next season. I reminded him that the same VAR upheld the penno decision so how the heck he thought we were going to be 'worse off' is beyond words. If you though Glen Hoddle was bitter over the pen, you aint met my BIL!

Have to say I think Mo's technique on pens is poor but Im not sure who else Id have taking it with Milner on the bench. That said, he did what I say players should do and hit it hard.

Yes, it was a scrappy game but the players hadnt played for 3 weeks. By all accounts it was roasting and as Klopp says, the players looked out of fuel. Looking at the game both managers started with 10 fit players and a passenger on each side. Love Bobby but he just wasnt at the races. Even before kick off, Id have started Big Cock. There again if Jurgen had, he'd probably have had to put Bobby on for the last 15 for Big Cock.

Sadio didnt have as good a game as last season's final and Mo's insistence on shooting everytime certainly got Sadio's dander up a few times. It looked like the game plan was to try and hit the ball over the top of the Spurs defence and turnthem quickly but this just led to a lot of passes going to no one or out for goal kicks.

Im surprised the stats shows Spurs had so much more possession than us as watching the game, I really didnt think they did. We never looked under any real pressure. Sure Spurs threw everything they could at us for a spell around the 75th minute but that stage of the game, it was getting near to shit or bust for them. No need to worry because Alisson was as safe as houses. There's no bad words for Karius from me, it is what it was. Im gutted for the lad how it turned out last season.

Gini really seemed to struggle in this game. Maybe it was the heat or maybe he was just completely shagged after a long season. He'll be gutted to have got hooked but we needed Milner's fresher legs.

Jurgen must have given Joe his chance in the last few minutes after he missed last season's final but I think Joe just wasnt ready. He looked hesitant and got took to the cleaners once too many in those last few minutes.

Hendo ran his bollocks off yet again. I read he ran 6 kilometers in the first half alone, more than any other player. The boy is now a Champions League winning captain. He's Jurgen and the squad's choice as captain. Unless Klopp takes the armband off him for next season, he'll be his captain for near as damn it, the 5th year.

People like the guy who sits next to me in theground need to grasp that and finally shut up about Hendo and wanting someone else be captain. Any one who wasnt moved by those pictures of Hendo with his arl fella must have a heart of stone.

Reviewing the game the thing that strike me and anyone else watching is that Liverpool have transitioned from a team needing 4 or 5 goals to win to one that doesnt need to play well or score more than 1 or 2, to win. van Dijk and Matip, I dont remember them being troubled. The only sweat they had seemed to be due to the heat.

Trent and Robbo didnt have fantastic games but, it's all part of the game plan now, they dont have to be for us to win. Fabinho was workman like and he didnt need to do anything spectacularly. What a whirlwind year its been for him, bought after the last final, struggled to get a game them became an integral player.

Man, I love Jurgen Klopp, I dont know what I wanted more, for us to win the game or for us to win so others cannot call Jurgen for losing finals. In those previous 6 final, he probably only had one other final where his team were favourites, Dortmund v Wolfsburg in the German Cup. This CL final was the second and he won.

I can understand the players going through brickwalls for him, he is they type of manager that in any walk of life, you'd love to work for. He's brought a winning mentality to the club. I remember when we cocked up the van Dijk transfer and people were calling for just any CB to be signed, a policy that had got us sweet FA every time we had done so. But no, Jurgen stood firm, it was van Dijk or no one.

He's also brought in a great backroom staff. others laughed at the throw in coach, the dietary expert from Bayern, hell, he even stuck with Achterburg when we all called for him to be dumped.

No doubt there will be some players leaving the club as their contracts end or go in search of regular football. I wish them all well even Alberto.

For now, we can all bask in the glory of number 6 until we go again.

• Upvote 6

I watched it back last night and it confirmed my initial thoughts that we weren't shite as was being widely  portrayed, we just played a different game. We were more pragmatic than I have ever seen any Liverpool team be, we will take a second if it comes but we're perfectly happy with 1 thank you very much.

Without the early lead it would have been us owning the possession, probing patiently and getting the full backs high up the pitch, once we had the goal there was no way they were winning it from us in our final third or counter attacking us. It was like every player on that pitch knew how good we are at defending and accepted 1 goal was enough.