You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham Hotspur (N) 1/6/19 Champions League Final

Bjornebye

Stevie on Hendo. Behind a paywall on the Times. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/steven-gerrard-lifting-the-champions-league-with-liverpool-will-change-jordan-hendersons-life-vhsv3jj3p

Steven Gerrard: lifting the Champions League with Liverpool will change Jordan Henderson’s life

Steven Gerrard says the midfielder is the ultimate role model after watching him follow in his own footsteps by captaining the club to European glory

When Jordan lifted the trophy above his head, my first feeling was one of pride.

Proud that Liverpool were back at the top of European football and especially proud of Jordan because I know how hard he works. I know the sacrifices he has made, the pressure and scrutiny he has been under.

If I had to name someone I regarded as the ultimate professional, Jordan would be right at the top of the list. He is immaculate in the way he lives his life.

Some people don’t see the stuff behind the scenes, the gym work, the way he eats, but he is someone who is an incredible role model.

He is selfless. He is someone who puts himself at the back of the queue because he looks after everyone else first. He puts Jordan Henderson last.

All of that is important but, of course, he is a top player as well. He has running power, you can trust him with the ball, a good range of passing and, over the last few months, has risen to the challenge of pushing Liverpool forward and come right into top form. That is the key. You don’t last at Liverpool just by being a top guy.

When he joined from Sunderland for around £18 million in 2011, there was a lot of focus on him as a young kid. He was leaving his home town and coming to a huge club like Liverpool.

I always tried to put my arm around him and be there for him because I knew it was a big move. But everything he has done, and will go on to do, is down to him. He deserves the credit for that.

Playing for Liverpool comes with pressure and when you are captain as well, that is magnified. When I took over the captaincy from Sami Hyypia, I felt it because the history of the club is about winning trophies. So when when Jordan took the captaincy over from me, it will have been the same.

Everyone in football gets doubted, you are never going to be everyone’s cup of tea and you are never going to be perfect in your performances all of the time. Scrutiny will always be there whether you are a player, a coach or a manager.

Jordan has had his fair share, but he handles it well and the best thing to do is let your football do the talking. That is what he has done. That is what he will continue to do.

I have seen him come so close to winning in recent years and I really felt for him. To see him, all the lads and Liverpool get over the line was just a brilliant night. I loved every minute of being there.

Winning will change his life, it will change all their lives. People around the world knew who Jordan Henderson and all the Liverpool players were, but millions more will know about them now because the Champions League brings a worldwide audience. It is the competition everyone sees.

He will notice that everyone will want to shake his hand and talk about Madrid. It is a life-changing experience.

But I am hoping this will become the catalyst for him to lift more trophies above his head. I know that is what he wants, the manager wants and the supporters want. I am sure Jurgen will have the team fired up to go again from the moment they are back in pre-season training.

Interview Paul Joyce

On 01/06/2019 at 18:54, TheDrowningMan said:

I can’t see that as good news. There’s no way they’d risk him in this game if he wasn’t at his best.

Spot on, as usual.

Not sure if this is an error or not from the offal shop, but next years champs league top (no name or number on back) with shiny UEFA blue badges on each arm(6 and 19) for £59.99 for delivery after 17th June.

Should be £74.99 (see below screen shots):

https://store.liverpoolfc.com/champions-league?&limit=all&wgu=7413_140963_15595906445944_0eb4c25e6d&wgexpiry=1567366644&source=webgains&siteid=140963&utm_source=affiliates&utm_medium=webgains&utm_campaign=140963

Click on above aff link, then choose champs of europe 6 or 19 shirts:

1xb2Vs.jpg

n5YhEI.jpg

Proof it should be £74.99:

yFdVk8.jpg

47 minutes ago, A_S said:

My respect for Mourinho has increased substantially since I realised that his tenure at Man Utd was an elaborate piece of performance art. From the declaration that a Europa League semi-final against Celta Vigo was the biggest game in Manchester United's history to the absurd declaration that finishing a distant second to Man City represented the pinnacle of his own career and the brilliant third act of alienating his players to such an extent that they’d raise their game enough to ensure that even the most ill-qualified caretaker would oversee a streak of form that would guarantee a hastily delivered permanent contract, his time in charge was a work of absurdist genius.

• Upvote 3

What a feeling.

A long, long time overdue. I felt we had unfinished business going back to Athens and that's before last year's shitshow. We put a lot of wrongs right on Saturday and winning number 6 is a massive achievement. It's important that we make the most of it now. In 2005 there was no rush to capitalise on winning the Champions League but this feels completely different in every conceivable way. This time we'll eke out every penny, release every t-shirt and milk this for as long as we can.

And so we should - we've watched other teams lift trophies far too often this decade at our expense. I am going to wring every last drop out of this myself. We all deserve this. And I am happier for Klopp than I am myself - had we lost here even he would have begun to feel the impact. But we were never losing this game, not after what happened in Kiev and what happened in the league. This is a fantastic, fantastic team and I am delighted we've started to win the trophies that we deserve. 

• Upvote 1

Still buzzing over all this. The video of Klopp's missus standing on a bin on The Strand and giving it loads has made the buzz kick right in again. 

It's weird though. In 2005 I was watching the game, or at least highlights, a few times over the week following the final. But, this year, I've no real desire to watch it again. I watched the BT Uncut thing and that satisfied any viewing urges I had. Maybe because the match was a bit of a stinker? One thing I will say though regarding the game is that Origi's finish was great. Anywhere else and it gets saved. Matip's assist was also a bit underrated. 

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Still buzzing over all this. The video of Klopp's missus standing on a bin on The Strand and giving it loads has made the buzz kick right in again. 

It's weird though. In 2005 I was watching the game, or at least highlights, a few times over the week following the final. But, this year, I've no real desire to watch it again. I watched the BT Uncut thing and that satisfied any viewing urges I had. Maybe because the match was a bit of a stinker? One thing I will say though regarding the game is that Origi's finish was great. Anywhere else and it gets saved. Matip's assist was also a bit underrated. 

It's worth watching the match again in full.  It's very enjoyable watching it stress free.

During the match I wanted Jermaine Jenas to get fucked with a rusty chainsaw.  But watching it back, I actually agree with 99% of what he says, putting the inherent Spurs bias he has to one side.  McManaman also had a solid 90 minutes, but I didn't notice it all during the match.

It's actually an interesting tactical battle when you take the emotion out of the occasion.  I'm planning on watching it once more in full.  

Observation:  just before the second goal Toby Alderweireld had to go off for some treatment to his face.  It looked like Spurs were going to have to defend the corner with ten men, but at the last moment the officials waved him back on.  The corner is then taken and Spurs look a bit disorganised, can't clear their lines and Alderweireld does some strange Moreno-style arms-behind-the-back defending instead of closing Origi down properly.  I wonder if whatever injury he had helped us there. 

It was also a great throw from Alisson to set the move going to win the corner.  He just effortlessly lobs it out to the left flank past the half way line and into Spurs' half.  Robertson collects it without having to break stride.