You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham Hotspur (N) 1/6/19 Champions League Final

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

Fuck me....I've had fuck all sleep and drank two bottles of Jiom beam and a few ciders, missus is gonna kick me in the bollocks when she gets up for work in a minute. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, John102 said:

Not quite. His mum is Jamaican and i am a from bootle. We think he might darken over  the years.

He's gonna be the new John Barnes mate. I love my kids, especially the youngest lad. He's so innocent but has the humour of the best stand up comedian you want to meet. Which is pretty good considering he's basically a German. (he gets his humour from me.......don't listen to his mum, she lies........) 

7 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

He's gonna be the new John Barnes mate. I love my kids, especially the youngest lad. He's so innocent but has the humour of the best stand up comedian you want to meet. Which is pretty good considering he's basically a German. (he gets his humour from me.......don't listen to his mum, she lies........) 

Haha should prob be saved for new dads thread but he has his place on european cup final thread.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm gonna repeat this, but our back line were immense last night. TAA, Matip, VVD and Robbo.......probably the best defence in the World at the moment......plus backed up by Allison. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, John102 said:

Haha should prob be saved for new dads thread but he has his place on european cup final thread.

Name him mate......he will then go down in the annals of fame on TLW! This is a match thread, but we are the only two sad fuckers keeping it alive at the moment. 

OK then, Dads....

That penalty probably killed the game as an attacking spectacle, because VVD et al backed themselves to keep Tottenham out from that point onwards.  And it worked.

It was a shit game, Tottenham were crap - but anyone saying they played better than us is, well, just the usual chip-on-shoulder, delusional, biased tv pundit.

I thought we'd need to up our game in the second half, but instead we kept them well in hand, apart from about 6 or 7 minutes there towards the end - and then we scored once their chances were not taken.  

Clinical and exactly what you expect from a top team.

The comfortably, comfortably better team won.

We just managed the game - exactly the right thing to do against familiar opposition, after the early penalty break.

Our final was the second leg against Barca. 

We merely got we deserved tonight.

And nice to see that happen for a change.

Finishing with nothing this season would have been astronomically cruel.

YNWA, Dads.

Guest Pistonbroke

It was a shit game John, but we controlled it. The best chances fell to us and we took two of them. I've watched it three times so far.......and I ain't changing my opinion. MOTM for me was Klopp, he got it spot on....he forgave the sexy football to win a trophy.....he came of age last night imho......

Guest Pistonbroke

Like you said......our final was that second leg V Barcelona, we knew what we had to do and achieved that goal. Last night we played to win a trophy. 

Yep, I think this was the Manager's high point at the club so far.

A perfect game from him.   

Such a far cry from the 5-2 Roma stuff only a year ago - a team completely changed into the finished article is what we saw last night.

They resembled some of the grinding, relentless winners of great Liverpool bygone eras.

Klopp's triumph, for sure.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, skaro said:

Yep, I think this was the Manager's high point at the club so far.

A perfect game from him.   

Such a far cry from the 5-2 Roma stuff only a year ago - a team completely changed into the finished article is what we saw last night.

They resembled some of the grinding, relentless winners of great Liverpool bygone eras.

Klopp's triumph, for sure.

I said to my son after 15 minutes that Klopp was going for the mature approach. It was so damn obvious. We were tighter than a ducks arse at the back, compact in midfield with the ball and fighting without it. yet we still created the best chances imo. Kane was pedestrian and we marked Son and Erikson out of the game. that victory was all down to Klopp, it wasn't just a team effort, it was down to the team following a plan. We'd all like to see the sexy football, but at the end of the day finals are won on the back of details. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, skaro said:

We also killed it from being a passionate all-England affair some might have expected.

Making it cagey was genius, and unexpected.  

Fully agree. We played a typical European game and Spurs couldn't get their head around it. Instead of our normal pressing game in midfield we let them have the ball but closed them down in the final third. This meant that the likes of Kane/Son couldn't run onto long balls, which is Spurs strength. I thought our back four and the keeper were magnificent last night. The cunts at the BBC/Sky will tell you otherwise, but they know fuck all about tactics. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fully agree. We played a typical European game and Spurs couldn't get their head around it. Instead of our normal pressing game in midfield we let them have the ball but closed them down in the final third. This meant that the likes of Kane/Son couldn't run onto long balls, which is Spurs strength. I thought our back four and the keeper were magnificent last night. The cunts at the BBC/Sky will tell you otherwise, but they know fuck all about tactics. 

Whatever it was, can we never play it again.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, John102 said:

Whatever it was, can we never play it again.

If we want to be mature to win finals then I'm all for it. In a one off game to win a trophy you have to be tactically better than your opponents. We approached the game perfectly last night. It wasn't a spectacle, but i fucking loved it from a footballing prospective. We need to use this approach against the better teams in the league and use our sexy approach against the gaff. Klopp knows his marbles though, he is the best trainer we have ever had.............and I grew up in the Shankly/Paisley era. 

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Watched the match in a massive beer garden with no commentary. What I saw was us score early then totally control the game. Came in here at half time to see the usual whingers saying 'we're not doing this / we're not doing that / get him off / get xyz on' I thought we totally handled the game, never lost control. No idea what some of you were watching but some of you cunts need to decide if you're Liverpool supporters and, in fact, know anything about the game at all. We were magnificent tonight. Sorry if we didn't score 10 goals but we absolutely bossed it and we've got 6 European cups. 

Get in lad. Hope you had a fucking great time. What a night that was.

but you got that wrong. We didn’t boss it, or control the match. We did enough, and I’m thrilled we did enough, but for long stretches we were wasteful in possession and generally not good.

fuck it, don’t care, we won number six, baby

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

but you got that wrong. We didn’t boss it, or control the match.  

Watch the match again, we literally bossed it because we snuffed out Spurs strengths and yet still created our own chances. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Watch the match again, we literally bossed it because we snuffed out Spurs strengths and yet still created our own chances. 

I reckon I will be watching it again a few times so I’ll let you know what I see next time.

i remember seeing passing stats shortly after half time and our pass completion rate was something like 65% which is way down from the norm and seemed to back up what I was seeing.

we deserved to win, we definitely had the better chances all the way through the match

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

My youngest (Jamie, 12) got to witness his first trophy. The eldest lad, daughter and myself were doing our nut when big Divok got our second. Little Jamie just said 'I told you we'd win 2-0 papa.' Cool as a cucumber. The innocence of youth made me shed a little tear. Fuck it, I'm teary now just typing about it. 

We've been up since 4:30am to watch it. My 12yo was with me for the ups and downs.

My 10yo fell asleep on the couch, but woke up 2 mins before big div assured the win. What a start to the day.

Fuck yeah.

2 hours ago, John102 said:

Its fantastic that they dont know the grief of getting beat. Champions of Europe and the best team in Europe. What a fucking team.

They both witnessed last year's misery unfortunately. But I think that makes this win all the more sweeter for them.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I reckon I will be watching it again a few times so I’ll let you know what I see next time.

i remember seeing passing stats shortly after half time and our pass completion rate was something like 65% which is way down from the norm and seemed to back up what I was seeing.

we deserved to win, we definitely had the better chances all the way through the match

I honestly believe Klopp came of age last night. He basically changed our high pressing game to press deeper and in doing so snuffing out Spurs strengths. He's a fucking genius, although I would have done the same thing. he thought....fuck, I keep losing finals by playing like a league fixture, last night was a typical European away game tactic ans it served us well. I honestly was only worried once when spurs got a shot off, we had six or seven good chances and took 2. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I thought we were more than comfortable enough on balance.

But you're right, our first half "pass completion" rate was officially our worst of the season.