You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham Hotspur (N) 1/6/19 Champions League Final

Bjornebye

There's no such thing as destiny, karma etc. I used to think there was but i'm too long in the tooth to fall for that shite these days.

Stuff happens and you can apply any kind of narrative that you want to it.

If we win the CL then the narrative is that we missed out on the league but then conquered Europe, Klopp finally overcame his issues in finals etc; if Spurs do it then all of the breaks they got during the competition will be used as some kind of explanation.

You can make any narrative you want out of it but it will mainly be nonsense. Stuff will happen during the final and the team who scores more goals (or penalties) will win the thing.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

There's no such thing as destiny, karma etc. I used to think there was but i'm too long in the tooth to fall for that shite these days.

Stuff happens and you can apply any kind of narrative that you want to it.

If we win the CL then the narrative is that we missed out on the league but then conquered Europe, Klopp finally overcame his issues in finals etc; if Spurs do it then all of the breaks they got during the competition will be used as some kind of explanation.

You can make any narrative you want out of it but it will mainly be nonsense. Stuff will happen during the final and the team who scores more goals (or penalties) will win the thing.

The best one I’ve seen so far is “Spurs are going to beat us because they’re due a win, given we’ve beaten them too many times lately”.

On Sunday supplement all the journos were saying we were going to win which always worries me! One of them (can’t remember who now) said how silly it was people saying Klopp’s never won a trophy when he’s won a few in Germany - my stock answer to anyone who says that to me!

Training camp squad: Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Brewster, Fabinho, Firmino, Gomez, Henderson, Jones, Keita, Kelleher, Lallana, Lovren, Mane, Matip, Mignolet, Milner, Moreno, Origi, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Robertson, Salah, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Woodburn.

That 26 gets whittled down to 23 for the match squad.

Maybe it's just the nerves you get during the game but the last few years have we ever played spurs and it seem easy. Not that it should they're a good team. Just feels like we've really had to graft to beat them and often they've been the better side. I don't rewatch games so my opinions are always formed being an emotional tart watching live.

Our players and coaching team having been through the three week wait/build-up for the final last year is a very big advantage.

Not a colossal change in personnel from last year either. Assuming Bobby is fit, Alisson, Matip and Fabinho will be the only likely changes, with Henderson in a more advanced role. Even then, an argument could be made for retaining Milner.

Last year's team:

Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner, Salah, Firmino, Mane

47 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Training camp squad: Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Brewster, Fabinho, Firmino, Gomez, Henderson, Jones, Keita, Kelleher, Lallana, Lovren, Mane, Matip, Mignolet, Milner, Moreno, Origi, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Robertson, Salah, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Woodburn.

That 26 gets whittled down to 23 for the match squad.

Jones, Kelleher and Woodburn --- DEAD WOOD!!

5 hours ago, viRdjil said:

The best one I’ve seen so far is “Spurs are going to beat us because they’re due a win, given we’ve beaten them too many times lately”.

Is someone making a banner with that on?

• Upvote 2

If memory serves me correctly we easily outplayed them away this season and the fact is was only 2 0 was a travesty.

They then scored in injury time to make it 2 1 and then had a shout for a penalty with virtually the last kick, which gave rise to the kill games/game management discussions. 

Of course I could be incorrect in all this. 

As the season has progressed our game management has improved massively.

Liverpool have confirmed that ‘a change in UEFA regulations’ will allow teams to name as many as 12 substitutes for the Champions and Europa League finals.

While the tournaments ordinarily restrict matchday squads to a limit of 18 players, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea will be permitted to name 23 in their respective finals

The four clubs will also be allowed to make an additional substitute on top of the maximum three if the games go to extra-time.

Liverpool face Tottenham in Madrid on June 1 in a sh*t or bust game for the Reds, with the latter featuring in their first European final since 1984.

Jurgen Klopp will be spared a similar selection headache to the one he endured last season, when he opted to leave Danny Ings out in favour of Dominic Solanke against Real Madrid. Daniel Sturridge, Rhian Brewster, Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are all expected to make the squad.

It will be fun to see how many places Tottenham use, mind