You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Wolves 0 (May 12 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

And so it ends. In the most predictable way possible. It’s been obvious for weeks that we’d probably win all of our games and it wouldn’t be enough. Leicester were the last hope we had of taking anything off City, as Brighton didn’t have a meatball’s chance in Luke Shaw’s house.

All we could do was make sure we didn’t allow some tinpot smalltime deadbeat club like Newcastle or Wolves to have the satisfaction of saying they cost us the title, and thankfully we did that.

Nine wins in a row to end the season. Unbeaten at home for the second year running. 97 points. Only one defeat (courtesy of a ref from Manchester). Two Golden Boot winners. The Golden Glove winner. The Premier League and PFA Player of the Year. Trent smashing the assists record for a defender. Andy Robbo being the greatest human being on the planet.

I could go on and on about this season, but it’s not over yet because we’ve still got a chance to come away with a big prize. That’s the very least these lads deserve from this incredible season.

This game was tough though. Really tough. It’s the kind of game we’ve made a habit of losing over the years. Wolves packed the defence but posed a threat on the break. They’re set up perfectly to pick off good teams, but they’re shite when they have to make the play themselves. So playing a side with our attacking intent suits them perfectly.

Throw in the tired legs from that Herculean effort in midweek and the whole distraction of what was happening at Brighton and this had the potential to go south for us.

It didn’t though, because these players fought through the tiredness. They blocked out the disappointment they must have been feeling when they heard the City score, and they dug deep to win a game that was threatening to get away from them in the second half.

The spirit of this group of players never fails to impress me. It would have been easy to stop fighting and give in to the fatigue when they knew the title had gone but instead they found something deep inside them to fight even harder. 

Wolves were pushing hard for an equaliser. Their fans were taunting us and the whole thing looked like it could fall flat. But the boys rallied, got the second goal to kill the game and ended the season in a manner befitting of everything that had gone before. They won the game for their own sense of pride and defiance.

In fact, defiance was the tone for the majority of the afternoon, although it was briefly punctuated by hope, then confusion, then disappointment. Then back to defiance again.

It was a weird day really. We started the game well and got an early goal when Hendo and Trent combined well to set up Mané to score at the Kop end. We were attacking the Kop end because Conor Coady won the toss and made us change ends. The fuck is that about lad? City have got their ex players deliberately missing chances against them while ours are pulling stunts like that?

Anyway, we’re 1-0 up and looking good, and then the news comes through that Brighton have scored. Cue mass celebrations around the stadium. Personally I didn’t like it. It was too early and it meant nothing. I understand why people did it and got excited, I just couldn’t buy into it myself as I knew City would come back and I also knew it would be distracting to our players. 

Then it got really weird. From what I could tell, the original cheer had come from the Anny Road end of the Main Stand. Everyone else seemed to pick up on it from them. A minute later, another cheer went up so I looked to my left and saw the same section of the crowd going mad again. It couldn’t be 2-0, could it? Shit, even I was ready to go mad at that point. Still too soon, but a 2-0 lead would have been a whole different ball game.

Then the cheering died down and there was just confusion. No-one seemed to know what was happening, but some of the Wolves fans were celebrating. Then a fella in front of me managed to get a signal on his phone and saw that it was 1-1. Word filtered around and the air was sucked out of the place.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1

• dave u pinned this topic

One of the downsides of watching a championship club on a regular basis is the moronic 'support', the same crap droned out game after game. Wolves have always been one of the worst culprits, the 'bantz' being even worse when delivered in a Midlands whine. Its 60 years since Wolves last won the title, and for probably a third of the intervening years they've been yo-yoing betweeen the third and fourth tiers. The team is PL standard, the supporters are still trapped in third tier.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Wasn't Carl Lewis proved to be a drug cheat too!

Shhhhh. Don't ruin my analogy!

And I almost forgot, but the worst thing to come from the away end on Sunday was "Raheem Sterling, he's top of the league". I mean fucking hell, really?

Can't wait until Sterling bangs in a hat-trick against the human trafficking twats next year. Or dives to win a penalty, that'll do even better.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dave u said:

Shhhhh. Don't ruin my analogy!

And I almost forgot, but the worst thing to come from the away end on Sunday was "Raheem Sterling, he's top of the league". I mean fucking hell, really?

Can't wait until Sterling bangs in a hat-trick against the human trafficking twats next year. Or dives to win a penalty, that'll do even better.

One of those football bants type twatter pages had video clips of this guff- about 30 seconds panning across rather indifferent Liverpool fans hearing six knuckle draggers sing in their Yam accent about Sterling.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic