You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winners

Agree completely Creator Supreme.

I was disappointed when we beat Barca last week, depriving Coutinho of the Champions League medal he so richly deserved.

Would have loved to see Gerrard play for Chelsea as well. Really would have made his career that much better, and he’d be an even bigger Liverpool legend in my eyes.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Agree completely Creator Supreme.

I was disappointed when we beat Barca last week, depriving Coutinho of the Champions League medal he so richly deserved.

Would have loved to see Gerrard play for Chelsea as well. Really would have made his career that much better, and he’d be an even bigger Liverpool legend in my eyes.

Fuck Coutinho, he made his bed, and besides I'm not on about Champions Leagues.

Gerrard would still have been a legend if he'd walked away after Istanbul!

30 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Fuck Coutinho, he made his bed, and besides I'm not on about Champions Leagues.

So you want players to leave to win stuff, but then you also want to say “Fuck them!”?

Very confusing - I’m not sure you’ve thought this through.

I wish CS moved clubs to win stuff.

City probably seems most suited at this present moment.

Have you thought about a transfer request mate?

Edit: Totally rehashed Skaro's post. Sorry mate, didn't read previous pages other than the OP.

Any player that no longer wants to call Anfield home, for whatever reason, can fek off. Suarez fek’d off. Coutinho fek’d off. We put them to the sword on Tues night.

Klopp (1st press conference on signing for LFC:

”First it is necessary to become believers”

Anybody that doesn’t believe Big Ears Six is coming home can just go and grovel in their own doubting muck.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

The purpose of this argument method is to keep asking leading questions to attempt to influence spectators' views, regardless of whatever answers are given. The term is derived from the frequent claim by the questioner that they are "just asking questions," albeit in a manner much the same as political push polls. Additionally, this tactic is a way for a crank to escape the burden of proof behind extraordinary claims.[1]

In some cases, it also helps hide the nebulousness or absurdity of the questioner's own views. For example, a 9/11 truther may ask questions about perceived irregularities in the collapse, Larry Silverstein saying "pull it," and the plane that hit the Pentagon. If turned back around on the truther, the implication is that they think that the plot involved numerous bizarre complications (rigging three buildings with explosives, making an on-the-spot decision to instruct the FDNY to detonate one of them, replacing a plane with a missile and later littering the Pentagon with plane wreckage). By not having to propose their own hypothesis, they can come across as smoothly winning a debate, since the other person is unable to answer a "just being asked" question. In fact, it can be very useful to "just ask questions" of woos, inasmuch as getting woos to put a hypothesis forward (or even just admitting to believing something crazy) can be a worthy accomplishment.

The questioner may claim they are playing devil's advocate. This is frequently to advance an odious position with no shortage of existing advocates.

To be honest I don't think there's been anything especially unlucky, it's just been a case of one simple thing - money. 

Last summer we started to do what we've needed to do for decades, spend top dollar on proven quality, and look what happened? 

Under Evans, under Houllier, under Rafa, we never dined at the top table of players. Under Evans we sniffed around centre backs for years, it was an absolutely crushing weakness. Stam was regarded as the best young defender in the world at the time but Parry and Moores just stood there holding their cocks and then - bang - Mancs have a 'bad' season, come in and break the world record for him. Weakness nulified, back on the horse for winning trophies.

We've never done this, probably for most of my lifetime. We spunked money on shoulda coulda wouldas. sometimes it'd pay off and most of the time it wouldn't. In fact, the only players I could think of that we haven't done that with was Torres and Mascherano, both were at the peak of their powers, household names and widely coveted, and guess what - they were boss and answered the questions in those positions straight away.

We've tried to run this club like a Guerilla opertaion for years. That's specifically why Rafa and Klopp were brought in, because they'd been able to snatch wins from superior, dominating opponents, and in  both cases both periods of success were flashes in the pan, because you simply can't compete with the scale of spending that the likes of Bayern, Barca and Madrid were able to unleash. It's like getting a lucky shot and putting a hole in the Bismark, it's all well and good until the crew repair the damage and train their guns on you - when they do it's time to break out the rafts.

The last year or so was the first time I can remeber where we had clear defined needs - Karius being shite, Lovren being shite etc - where we haven't gone out and got the 'next big thing', we just spent what we had to spend to buy established, proven, class. 

This is the first summer also in memory where - God willing - we're not going to be thinking about selling them on to make a few quid. 

We needed quality, we bought quality, we got better. It's simple stuff. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be honest I don't think there's been anything especially unlucky, it's just been a case of one simple thing - money. 

Last summer we started to do what we've needed to do for decades, spend top dollar on proven quality, and look what happened? 

Under Evans, under Houllier, under Rafa, we never dined at the top table of players. Under Evans we sniffed around centre backs for years, it was an absolutely crushing weakness. Stam was regarded as the best young defender in the world at the time but Parry and Moores just stood there holding their cocks and then - bang - Mancs have a 'bad' season, come in and break the world record for him. Weakness nulified, back on the horse for winning trophies.

We've never done this, probably for most of my lifetime. We spunked money on shoulda coulda wouldas. sometimes it'd pay off and most of the time it wouldn't. In fact, the only players I could think of that we haven't done that with was Torres and Mascherano, both were at the peak of their powers, household names and widely coveted, and guess what - they were boss and answered the questions in those positions straight away.

We've tried to run this club like a Guerilla opertaion for years. That's specifically why Rafa and Klopp were brought in, because they'd been able to snatch wins from superior, dominating opponents, and in  both cases both periods of success were flashes in the pan, because you simply can't compete with the scale of spending that the likes of Bayern, Barca and Madrid were able to unleash. It's like getting a lucky shot and putting a hole in the Bismark, it's all well and good until the crew repair the damage and train their guns on you - when they do it's time to break out the rafts.

The last year or so was the first time I can remeber where we had clear defined needs - Karius being shite, Lovren being shite etc - where we haven't gone out and got the 'next big thing', we just spent what we had to spend to buy established, proven, class. 

This is the first summer also in memory where - God willing - we're not going to be thinking about selling them on to make a few quid. 

Great post, not losing anyone is key.  We haven't had an entire 11 play together for a few years and learn that telepathy that is required to win titles since our heyday.  Something has always been there to disrupt us and break up the momentum.

If we finally ditch the deadwood this summer and add a couple of top class players along with a couple for the squad, it could be the first time since 1990 that we have all of the tools we need.  

2 hours ago, M_B said:

More to do with you celebrating when we lose and are absent when we win. Pretty much every time.

You're a poor mans SteveO.

I'd rather be enjoying the win than comment on here, but if we lose I'm going to vent because, for those in the cheap seats IT'S A FOOTBALL FORUM!

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I wouldn’t even say that Mascherano and Torres were household names. Masch was rotting in West Ham’s reserves after coming from Brazil and Torres could have gone either way. He hadn’t been out of his comfort zone and Morientes had been a disappointment a couple of years earlier.  

• 1 year later...
On 12/05/2019 at 23:35, Creator Supreme said:

I'm going to get slated for this, but I'll ask the question anyway.

Thinking about how unlucky we've been this season has made me think.

We seem to be jinxed when it comes to the title, and I hate seeing fantastic players not win the titles they deserve, i.e. Gerrard!

So would it be better for our better players to move on if they get the chance to go somewhere they are all but guaranteed title wins? (I'm not talking about City, somewhere abroad)

I saw Fowler miss out, I saw Sami miss out, I saw Gerrard decide to stay when he could have gone and miss out, and a small part of them (Gerrard especially) must really regret that!

I'd love them to do it here, but if this season doesn't show there's a fucking hex on us then nothing will!

I await the brickbats and negs, but this has been bugging the fuck out of me for ages!

I'd forgotten all about this.

Can we agree that this question has now been answered?

• Upvote 1

Between 1990 and this year, I can well understand any player giving 5 years or so to the cause, seeing we really had no chance of winning the title and moving on. Hate to see it but, can understand it. To a degree!

That said, my reaction to the player deciding to try their luck elsewhere comes down to if and how they 'forced' their way out of the club and how they react afterwards to it.

Loved Phil when he was here but he can fuck off as far as Im concerned. While there's no gaurantee Jurgen would win the PL, the indications were that we would be very close challengers. The titty lip, bad back and getting his agent \ family to bad mouth Jurgen and the club was a line crossed for me.

Same with Mascherano who was a fucking non entity when we signed him from West Ham. The way he forced his way out leaves a bad taste as well. I think Owen was just a dick what with his believing he could leave, try Spain for a year or 2 and just re sign for Liverpool. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh Michael?

McManaman winding his contract down somehow doesnt irk that much. Stories the club tried to sell him abound and well, I never saw him as a game changer, more a larger fish in a large pond.

Torres fucked me off big time with his 'here (Chelsea) everyone knows we're a big club.'

Keegan and Sir Roger broke my heart but for different reasons. Sir Rog didnt think he could do the biz for Liverpool any more and called his own time here. It was like the end of an era. Kevin still had loads to give and I couldnt remember another Liverpool player who been so instrumental, won loads and still wanting to move on. His move was softened because he's contributed to us winning leagues and finally landing ol big ears.

• Upvote 3