You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has This Season Changed Your All-Time Liverpool 11?

Paul

15 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

The 10,000m record set in 2005 is a whole minute greater than the late 80s. Its a whole 2 minutes greater than the 60s. Its a whole 3 minutes greater than the 50s. Are you trying to prove my point - that nostalgia does not halt the movement of science - or do you also believe that the earth is flat?

Nostalgia does not halt the movement of science.

But thankfully, nor does science halt the existence of nostalgia.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Just wondering out loud why those records haven’t been broken. By the way my initial post you replied to never mentioned fitness levels or eras. I was giving an opinion,  aggressively as you put it regarding our current world class defender being ‘ miles better ‘ than our greatest ever defender and a legend in the game, after 18 months here. It was then contradicted. Thanks for helping with the flat earth stuff, looked it up, now I can go on that world cruise i’ve always been scared of. 

Don't be a fool, VD, you'll fall off the edge.

On 11/05/2019 at 22:00, Scrump said:

I don't really remember Clemence. Going on pure childhood memories/emotion/playground talk + more recent memories, it would probably be:

Reina

Nicol

Hansen

VVD

Robertson

Souness

McDermott 

Craig Johnston! 

Dalglish

Fowler

Suarez

Honourable mentions for Whelan, Rush, Riise, Barnes, Keegan and even Owen

Alisson, Salah and Mane in with a shout if they keep it going. And TAA. 

Goalkeepers didn't even wear gloves as standard until the late 1970s/early 1980s either and the footballs had little protection built into them either.

On 11/05/2019 at 22:00, Scrump said:

I don't really remember Clemence. Going on pure childhood memories/emotion/playground talk + more recent memories, it would probably be:

Reina

Nicol

Hansen

VVD

Robertson

Souness

McDermott 

Craig Johnston! 

Dalglish

Fowler

Suarez

Honourable mentions for Whelan, Rush, Riise, Barnes, Keegan and even Owen

Alisson, Salah and Mane in with a shout if they keep it going. And TAA. 

To only offer an honourable mention to John Barnes is as unhonourable thing as I can think of.

id imagine @lifetime fan would share that view with regards Rushdie, too.

• Upvote 1

I find these very hard to ever do, but right now I’m not sure anyone except VVD and Robertson would make my all time XI from my years of watching us from the mid-late 80s onwards.

I could see Allison getting in there if he is good for a few more years as goalie isn’t a standout.

its Grobelaar or peak Reina for now, which means probably peak Reina.

Kenny’s best is before my time, and my memory of watching his is as a manager rather than a player.

Im leaving out Rush because it’s hard to choose and I adored Fowler more. If I was 5 years older maybe it would be Rush that gets the nod.

Molby is a sentimental pick, and I very nearly dropped him for Alonso.

I’d rather have a right winger in so that Stevie and Digger are able to play in their best roles, but there isn’t one that stands out for me, certainly not one suffice t to drop one of the front three.

Torres is a prick, but what a striker he was for the first couple of years at the club.

as much as I like Mo, and Sadio for that matter, I don’t think either are as good individually as any of the front three I’ve picked.

Reina

Nicol

Hansen

Van Dijk

Robertson

Gerrard

Molby

Barnes

Suarez

Fowler

Torres

8 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Anyone leaving out Rush for Fowler or Owen is either very young or batshit mental! 

It was a close call for me, but I’m just that bit too young.

my memories of rush are more that he was always on the scoresheet than how good he was.

my memories of Fowler are absolute adulation.

also impacted by not being able to watch as much football back then as I could once sky came along and rush was older.

It's a shame Owen never makes any of these lists because of how hated he became. Bizarre also, because Torres still gets a few shouts. With such brilliant players throughout our history, perhaps neither would make the list even if they left on good terms, however I do feel that Owen's ability has been victim of revisionism on this forum in general.

Owen was a great player for us but talent-wise he wasn't in the same league as the players who are making most lists and the way he left ensures that he's not making any list on the basis of longevity and loyalty of service.  

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

It's a shame Owen never makes any of these lists because of how hated he became. Bizarre also, because Torres still gets a few shouts. With such brilliant players throughout our history, perhaps neither would make the list even if they left on good terms, however I do feel that Owen's ability has been victim of revisionism on this forum in general.

Owen was never loved, even before he left. He was class and everyone knew it, but he wasn’t adored the way Fowler was.

personally, I think Torres was a better striker for the peak couple of years he had with us.

27 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Owen was never loved, even before he left. He was class and everyone knew it, but he wasn’t adored the way Fowler was.

personally, I think Torres was a better striker for the peak couple of years he had with us.

That's exactly the point I'm making.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

That's exactly the point I'm making.

It's a fair point.  I think the reason was that he never really gave the impression that he loved the club, the fans or the city. He was always totally professional and a bit detached in the way he handled himself which is fair enough but the price was that people treated him like that in return.  He wasn't really regarded as one of our own but as an employee doing a great job for as long as it suited him and us.  

14 minutes ago, aws said:

It's a fair point.  I think the reason was that he never really gave the impression that he loved the club, the fans or the city. He was always totally professional and a bit detached in the way he handled himself which is fair enough but the price was that people treated him like that in return.  He wasn't really regarded as one of our own but as an employee doing a great job for as long as it suited him and us.  

That's a completely understandable stance to take on him and I get people hating him. I loved him coming through taking the league by storm at 18 but those memories are diminished by his actions that followed. 

However if you take affection and emotion out of the running, he has to be considered one of our best ever strikers. 

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

That's a completely understandable stance to take on him and I get people hating him. I loved him coming through taking the league by storm at 18 but those memories are diminished by his actions that followed. 

However if you take affection and emotion out of the running, he has to be considered one of our best ever strikers. 

I don't think he has the numbers to back it up.  I believe he only hit 20 league goals once.  His problem was that it took him a run of games to regain match sharpness following the numerous injuries he had.  When he knee popped out playing for England he was pretty much finished.  

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

I liked him and thought he was a great player. Probably at the same level as Torres but not in the same category of strikers as Suarez, Rush, Fowler, Hunt. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I completely agree he’s not loved but bar a few head the ball cunts I don’t know anyone that hates him. 

Completely ambivalent to him? Yeah. 

Hate him? No chance. 

As great as he was, and he was great. He’s a long way down the list of our best ever strikers and doesn’t even come close to Rush or Suarez. 

He’s below a peak Fowler and Torres too in my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Big Virg is on the cusp of taking Thommo's place alongside Hansen. Another season anything like this and the spot is his.

Alisson challenging Pepe hard for a seat on the bench.  

Great as he is, Robbo is going to find it hard to oust Emlyn.