You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has This Season Changed Your All-Time Liverpool 11?

Paul

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Some utter utter bollocks on this thread, people having mares all over the place.

Not one player playing now would get in our best XI at the moment.

Favourite and best are two different things. I watched all Hansen’s career and for someone who never saw him play to say VVD is miles better if better at all is very nouveau football fan. And a load of fucking crap. Ooh the shame of it!

Yeah, my favourite and all-time XIS differ.

All-time

Clemence

Neal Lawrenson Hansen Nicol

Gerrard McDermott Souness Barnes

Dalglish Rush

Favourite

Clemence

Nicol Hyypia Hansen Carragher

Kuyt McDermott Gerrard Barnes

Dalglish Rush

Honourable mentions for McAllister, Houghton and Fowler.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Clemence

Gerrard McDermott Souness Barnes

Dalglish Rush

Where has Beardsley gone? 

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, my favourite and all-time XIS differ.

All-time

Clemence

Gerrard McDermott Souness Barnes

Dalglish Rush

Favourite

Clemence

Nicol Hyypia Hansen Carragher

Kuyt McDermott Gerrard Barnes

Dalglish Rush

Honourable mentions for McAllister, Houghton and Fowler.

U wot m8? No Beardsley? 

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Some utter utter bollocks on this thread, people having mares all over the place.

Not one player playing now would get in our best XI at the moment.

Favourite and best are two different things. I watched all Hansen’s career and for someone who never saw him play to say VVD is miles better if better at all is very nouveau football fan. And a load of fucking crap. Ooh the shame of it!

You're being aggressive and, ironically, in the process showing your own stupidity. In this era of super-athletes running record amounts on the pitch at record speeds players of the 80s and prior would be lucky to even share a pitch with them. Compare 100 m runners born in the 60 and 70s with those from the 80s and 90s for example. They wouldn't even get onto the track with them now

Now, arguing the relative merits of the players in their own era and context is a different conversation. But objectively, you're going to find very few stats that era which suggtest those players would be competitive in this day and age.

14 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

You're being aggressive and, ironically, in the process showing your own stupidity. In this era of super-athletes running record amounts on the pitch at record speeds players of the 80s and prior would be lucky to even share a pitch with them. Compare 100 m runners born in the 60 and 70s with those from the 80s and 90s for example. They wouldn't even get onto the track with them now

Now, arguing the relative merits of the players in their own era and context is a different conversation. But objectively, you're going to find very few stats that era which suggtest those players would be competitive in this day and age.

Where are the measurements to show how much ground they covered in the 70’s and 80’s? 

You can only fairly compare players of different eras by imagining how much better players of decades ago would be with the benefit of modern conditioning, diet and training regimes and with the benefit of better pitches, equipment and playing conditions generally.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, aws said:

You can only fairly compare players of different eras by imagining how much better players of decades ago would be with the benefit of modern conditioning, diet and training regimes and with the benefit of better pitches, equipment and playing conditions generally.  

Great minds...

Just now, aws said:

This.

Or, if you took the modern player back to the 70s/80s, minus all the modern advances in sports science, diet and training.

Most modern players wouldn't last 5 minutes on the pitch as they'd be mentally and physically bullied out of the game as they wouldn't have the protection afforded to them by today's standard of officiating.

I mean, can you imagine prime Souness up against today's best central midfielders on an 80s pitch with an 80s ref? It would be carnage.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, aws said:

I watched a clip of Bob Paisley saying something along that line. 

I don't really remember Clemence. Going on pure childhood memories/emotion/playground talk + more recent memories, it would probably be:

Reina

Nicol

Hansen

VVD

Robertson

Souness

McDermott 

Craig Johnston! 

Dalglish

Fowler

Suarez

Honourable mentions for Whelan, Rush, Riise, Barnes, Keegan and even Owen

Alisson, Salah and Mane in with a shout if they keep it going. And TAA. 

13 minutes ago, Scrump said:

I don't really remember Clemence. Going on pure childhood memories/emotion/playground talk + more recent memories, it would probably be:

Reina

Nichol

Hansen

VVD

Robertson

Souness

McDermott 

Craig Johnson! 

Dalglish

Fowler

Suarez

Honourable mentions for Whelan, Riise, Barnes, Keegan and even Owen

Alisson, Salah and Mane in with a shout if they keep it going. And TAA. 

Will be back to rep you for including Craig Johnston.

Hang on, there’s no ‘h’ in Nicol.

F46BC666-5086-4B16-A688-92D27751F823.gif

Why do people always assume players from the 70s would be fantastic with modern diets, but todays players wouldnt cut it in the 70s with players like Souness?

Im sure all players, of all eras would adapt to any era, some better than others obviously. I have no doubt Gerrard would give out as much as he got on a 70s pitch. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, John102 said:

Why do people always assume players from the 70s would be fantastic with modern diets, but todays players wouldnt cut it in the 70s with players like Souness?

Im sure all players, of all eras would adapt to any era, some better than others obviously. I have no doubt Gerrard would give out as much as he got on a 70s pitch. 

Because that Liverpool team we grew up with when we were kids was - and will always be - the best effing football team in the world ever, regardless of any thoughts, opinions or even FACTS you care to throw at it

31 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Because that Liverpool team we grew up with when we were kids was - and will always be - the best effing football team in the world ever, regardless of any thoughts, opinions or even FACTS you care to throw at it

The current team is a lot better then team I grew up with (Roy Evans’ team).

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, aws said:

Not really - the only, as you put it yourself, "fair" way of doing it is with objective measurements. Not with imagination. Imagination is no fair measurement. 

It's a bit of a fools errand because by its nature any conversation is rooted in fantasy and speculation. Souness of the 80s on today's diet may be a revolutionary player. Objectively, the Souness of the 80s against a top mid. in today's game would likely be left in the dust chasing shadows. Carl Lewis won 9 Olympic medals - put him on the track at the last Olympics and he doesn't even take a bronze. Watch old videos of the pace that game was played at. Physiologically it is an entirely different sport today. There is no magic wand that has just raised all performance by X% - certain body types react differently. Players of the Drogba and Essien type for example frequently didn't even exist back then in the professional game - so it's impossible to operate a sliding scale with pure imagination.

I love the evolving nature of men’s athletics, amazing that the Men’s mile, 5000m and 10000m records have stood for 20,15 and 14 years respectively. 

Means nothing of course as Mo Farah was arguably our greatest athlete of all time and anyone can run fast on one day can’t they.  

Guest Alex_K
27 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I love the evolving nature of men’s athletics, amazing that the Men’s mile, 5000m and 10000m records have stood for 20,15 and 14 years respectively. 

Means nothing of course as Mo Farah was arguably our greatest athlete of all time and anyone can run fast on one day can’t they.  

The 10,000m record set in 2005 is a whole minute greater than the late 80s. Its a whole 2 minutes greater than the 60s. Its a whole 3 minutes greater than the 50s. Are you trying to prove my point - that nostalgia does not halt the movement of science - or do you also believe that the earth is flat?

Just now, Alex_K said:

The 10,000m record set in 2005 is a whole minute greater than the late 80s. Its a whole 2 minutes greater than the 60s. Its a whole 3 minutes greater than the 50s. Are you trying to prove my point - that nostalgia does not halt the movement of science - or do you also believe that the earth is flat?

Just wondering out loud why those records haven’t been broken. By the way my initial post you replied to never mentioned fitness levels or eras. I was giving an opinion,  aggressively as you put it regarding our current world class defender being ‘ miles better ‘ than our greatest ever defender and a legend in the game, after 18 months here. It was then contradicted. Thanks for helping with the flat earth stuff, looked it up, now I can go on that world cruise i’ve always been scared of. 

• Like 1