You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has This Season Changed Your All-Time Liverpool 11?

Paul

You can't compare eras. Virgil is light years better than Alan Hansen, but it's not a fair comparison because the game and conditions are so different.

These all-time 11's are all personal taste, there's no way of actually figuring out who was better. 

• Downvote 4

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Clemence

Neal Lawrenson Hansen Nicol

Gerrard McDermott Souness Barnes

Dalglish Rush

Not saying you’re predictable but I absolutely knew you’d post an almost entirely 80s side. I’m a little bit disappointed you picked Stevie to be honest. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

These all-time 11's are all personal taste, there's no way of actually figuring out who was better. 

Exactly. That’s what makes the discussion interesting. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You can't compare eras. Virgil is light years better than Alan Hansen, but it's not a fair comparison because the game and conditions are so different.

Yeah, it’s subjective. As you say, it’s practically impossible to compare players from different eras. That said, why, in your opinion, is Van Dijk light years better than Hansen?

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

That said, why, in your opinion, is Van Dijk light years better than Hansen?

It depends how you see it. You can compare how dominant either van Dijk or Hansen were against their peers, in which case Hansen stacks up to van Dijk (I imagine. I never saw Hansen play, but I'll go by how great everyone who did see him said he was).

Or you can say van Dijk is a 6 foot 4 physical specimen of a modern athlete and Hansen just wasn't that (by no fault of his own, but still). That's my personal opinion and the way I see it but there's no right or wrong way because they're impossible to compare anyway. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Clemence

Nicol        Hansen      VVD        Robertson

Souness

Gerrard                              R Kennedy

Kenny

Rush                 Fowler

2 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Clemence

Nicol        Hansen      VVD        Robertson

Souness

Gerrard                              R Kennedy

Kenny

Rush                 Fowler

Suarez > Fowler IMO. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, viRdjil said:

Suarez > Fowler IMO. 

Yep, its all opinionated of course. For me, Fowler was the greatest ever finisher we've ever had, Rush, just wouldn't stop scoring.

Surprised no one has pulled me up for sneaking Kenny from South Park in my team. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why say that and then contradict it in the next paragraph?!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Byrnie said:

I'm going by pure talent, not counting trophies and players I've seen enough of to form an opinion. I'm 34.

Reina

Babbel 

Hyypia

VVD

Robertson

Mc Manaman

Alonso

Gerrard

Suarez

Fowler

Salah

Talent wise you can't argue with that lineup if you are that age. 

Torres v Salah is tight though 

Born in 1974, followed us from the age of 10, which influences a few of my choices. Can't say I've seen enough of Clemence, Lawrenson and Neal to put them in my team, otherwise they would probably ahaead of the choices I've made here... (Yeats, Liddell and co will have to forgive my non-inclusion of them as well).

Before:

----------------Grobbelaar---------------

Babbel------Hansen--Hyypia--------Nicol

Gerrard-----Alonso-----Souness----Barnes

-----------Rush---------Dalglish-----------

Now:

-------------------Allison----------------

Nicol----Hansen----Vvd------Robertson

Gerrard----Alonso---Souness----Barnes

------------Rush-----Dalglish----------

Might seem a bit premature on Robbo displacing Babbel, but Robbo is the ultimate modern fullback, so Neil switches sides.... Vvd is clearly better than Hyypia, so I think that's a fair call even if Vvd needs to stay for a few years to cement his position. I was never a big fan of Grobbelaar, so even if it might seem premature, I'm giving the nod to our big Brazilian.

Some utter utter bollocks on this thread, people having mares all over the place.

Not one player playing now would get in our best XI at the moment.

Favourite and best are two different things. I watched all Hansen’s career and for someone who never saw him play to say VVD is miles better if better at all is very nouveau football fan. And a load of fucking crap. Ooh the shame of it!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Cool, never thought it was that long.

Yeah since I was 11. Upon finding out that I had developed an interest in football, my parents for my birthday bought me a framed poster of David Beckham lifting a PL trophy and another of Germany euro 96 squad. 

24 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Yeah since I was 11. Upon finding out that I had developed an interest in football, my parents for my birthday bought me a framed poster of David Beckham lifting a PL trophy and another of Germany euro 96 squad. 

You chose better than your parents mate haha!

• Upvote 1