You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has This Season Changed Your All-Time Liverpool 11?

Paul

Well? Has it? Let's see 'em.

Before

Clem

Babbel Carra Jockey Nicol

Xabi Souness

Stevie Kenny Digger

Suarez

Now

Clem

Nicol Carra Virgil Robbo

Stevie Xabi Souness

Mo Suarez Digger

Feels weird to leave out Kenny and Big Al, but I find it hard to imagine great football now that isn't played at a million miles an hour for 95 minutes until the last kick of the season which mitigates against Kenny, for me. The other choice obviously isn't between Virgil and Hansen; it's between Carra and Hansen. There's no doubt whatsoever that Hansen was the better player, but I just prefer the warrior and leader over the footballer in my team as VVD's partner.

Mo maybe should have been in there last season, but he deffo is now as there's no doubt his talent and impact are here to last. The other change is Robbo. It speaks volumes that he shunts Steve Nicol to the other side in my team. Robbo is now easily the best left back we've ever had, in my view.

Just now, DimReaper said:

You have to play for the club longer than van Dijk, Salah and Robbo have to get in an all-time XI for me. 

It's about winning and contributions to winning, for me. There is no doubt in my view that VVD is quite easily the best player we've ever had in that position. But his overall contribution isn't as much as somebody like Hansen. Who would I prefer to play for us? VVD. All time XI is beyond that, for me.

If you did it purely in terms of footballing quality/ability then a lot more recent day players would get in. If its on what the player achieved for this club then maybe only Gerrard and Carra are a shout for an all time one. 

Holy shit, Paul just left Kenny out of an all time Liverpool XI!

I completely understand the logic, but you're a braver man than I am!

Of the current team, leaving the longevity argument aside (which is a valid point in an all time XI), Virgil and Robbo are shoe ins for me. One day Trent will be too, and might even be the first name on the teamsheet. Alisson has a shot at it as well.

I'm undecided on Mo at this point.

I suppose there is an important distinction between 'all time XI' and 'best players to ever play for us XI'

For example, Robbo is the best left back to play for us by miles. He's the best in the world, an absolutely incredible full back who people outside of LFC don't seem to realise is as great as he is. After two seasons though do you get in an all time best XI? Tough call.

The other thing muddying the water is the way systems and formations have changed. In a 442 Kenny and Rushy are the perfect partnership. In a 433 it's a whole different ball game.

45 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Clemence

Neal Lawrenson Hansen Nicol

Gerrard McDermott Souness Barnes

Dalglish Rush

That would be my team with one alteration, Steve McManaman for Terry McDermott.

Macca won two CL medals with Real Madrid and was MOTM in both finals. As Robbie Fowler said of him:

‘I've played with many, many great players. Paul Gascoigne was fantastic and I could sit here all day and talk about Liverpool players – John Barnes, Ian Rush, Jan MolbyRonnie Whelan and Steven Gerrard, who is an unbelievable player. He would probably be my number two. The best player I've ever played with is Steve McManaman ... he really was that good."

Garry McAllister once said of football, “You are quickly forgotten in this game.”

That is certainly true of Liverpool full backs. As good as our current pair are, they could not hold a candle to Nicol and Neal.

As for omitting Dalglish; that's not an opinion, it's heresy.

• Upvote 2

None of the players bar Gerrard and possibly Carragher are in with a shout yet of a all time 11 for me. Either not with us long enough, or not as good imo. Can't expect players of old to be a fit as today's players, but try and get today's players to play as they do on the pitches pre 90s, with the diet, physicality of the game. 

Interesting question, but the season hasn’t finished yet.

I also think you can’t judge these things mid-career. You need a decade in the shirt and winning stuff as well as being brilliant to have a sniff at our all time eleven.

We definitely have a few who could be good enough to make a case though hopefully.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No,because great players are formed over years and their levels of consistency during that time.

Is right.

None of the current crop have yet done anywhere near enough to be put alongside never mind above the great names from our history.

• Upvote 1

Been asking myself if any 21st Century Liverpool players would make my all-time XI, on ability alone, if I were to discount achievements for the club. The answer is probably not. Suarez or Torres over Dalglish and Rush in they’re prime? No. Carragher or Hyypia over Hansen and Lawrenson? No. Alonso ahead of McDermott? No. Alonso was an excellent player but McDermott is a personal favourite of mine. Salah, Robertson and Van Dijk - can’t comment.

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Been asking myself if any 21st Century Liverpool players would make my all-time XI, on ability alone, if I were to discount achievements for the club. The answer is probably not. Suarez or Torres over Dalglish and Rush in they’re prime? No. Carragher or Hyypia over Hansen and Lawrenson? No. Alonso ahead of McDermott? No. Alonso was an excellent player but McDermott is a personal favourite of mine. Salah, Robertson and Van Dijk - can’t comment.

Gerrard?

• Upvote 1