You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0 (May 7 2019)

I'm still watching various clips of this throughout each day. Can't get enough of it, it's just glorious.

Two things have had me really choked up. Seeing Hendo on the floor at the end, with nothing left to give and unable to even stand up (Virgil had to help him up in the end). That was a performance for the ages from that lad, and I'm as desperate for us to win the trophy just to see him lift it as I am desperate for us to actually just win it.

The other thing was Steve Hunter and Aldo's commentary. Steve is a mate of mine, I've known him for years and he's as big a Red as I've ever met. He lives and breathes it, his enthusiasm is endless. Doesn't matter if it's a game like that, or an u18 game up in the North East, Steve's passion for it is always there.

Seeing him looking down from the gantry, singing YNWA to himself and just taking everything in, I got genuinely emotional.

• Upvote 9

10 hours ago, neopulian said:

Never mind. I obviously didn't see that other clip. Very moving indeed to see Hendo, VVD, Gomez, and Milner in a big embrace.

Yeah Gomez tried and failed, and then Virg came over and scooped him up one handed!

• dave u unpinned this topic

Just watched the full match back for the first time as not had time until now. It’s a much easier watch when your heart isn’t pumping out of your chest. A few things I picked up on watching it back that I hadn’t picked up on on first viewing.

- Virgil’s crunching tackle on I think Suarez straight after the kickoff for Gini’s first goal. It won us possession and we went on to get the third almost straight after.

- The ballboy who gave the ball to Trent for his corner did a massive fist pump after Gini’s second goal.

- We were getting the ball into the Barcelona box as soon as possible. Klopp said in his interview that Barcelona are great at defending when you’re predictable, so I think this was a part of our game plan.

- Was Barcelona picking 7 players over the age of 30 a mistake? They couldn’t live with our pressing and relentlessness, they’re just not used to it. They get 70% of possession in most games and play it at a pace that suits them. They’re supremely talented and all great on the ball, but they seem overly reliant on Messi. They need to freshen things up and lower the average age of their team.

- The improvement in our game management from last season to this is off the scale. I thought after we got the fourth we looked more likely to score again than Barcelona were to get one.

- I knew Mane had played well, but watching it back his performance was just incredible. He never gave Barcelona a minute’s peace and unsettled all their defenders with his running and his work-rate. He didn’t score but it was a world class performance.

- I was laughing my head off watching Brewster join in with the fans singing “We will not be moved” sat on the bench near the end.

- I loved all the footage of the Barcelona fans looking shellshocked. They knew they were in big trouble as soon as the second goal went in. It was classy of a few of them to join in with YNWA and hold up their scarves, but most looked like they couldn’t wait to get out of Dodge.

- How cool is big Divock? He’s scored three massive goals this season and celebrates like he would if he scored in training.

- Robbo’s response when asked about Suarez, “Who’s going to the final?” couldn’t have been any better.

- Klopp was really emotional in that interview with Des Kelly. The whole atmosphere at the club just seems brilliant, from Klopp’s staff, to the young lads, to the players who don’t feature too often but are still part of the squad, it just feels like everyone is pulling together. Shanks, Bob, Joe and Ronnie would be proud of this lot.

- And lastly, just how good has our recruitment been the last two years?  Mo Salah, Andy Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Naby Keita, Fabinho, Xherdan Shaqiri, Alisson. Fuck me, these guys have transformed us under the guidance of the best manager in the world.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Just watched the full match back for the first time as not had time until now. It’s a much easier watch when your heart isn’t pumping out of your chest. A few things I picked up on watching it back that I hadn’t picked up on on first viewing.

- Virgil’s crunching tackle on I think Suarez straight after the kickoff for Gini’s first goal. It won us possession and we went on to get the third almost straight after.

- The ballboy who gave the ball to Trent for his corner did a massive fist pump after Gini’s second goal.

- We were getting the ball into the Barcelona box as soon as possible. Klopp said in his interview that Barcelona are great at defending when you’re predictable, so I think this was a part of our game plan.

- Was Barcelona picking 7 players over the age of 30 a mistake? They couldn’t live with our pressing and relentlessness, they’re just not used to it. They get 70% of possession in most games and play it at a pace that suits them. They’re supremely talented and all great on the ball, but they seem overly reliant on Messi. They need to freshen things up and lower the average age of their team.

- The improvement in our game management from last season to this is off the scale. I thought after we got the fourth we looked more likely to score again than Barcelona were to get one.

- I knew Mane had played well, but watching it back his performance was just incredible. He never gave Barcelona a minute’s peace and unsettled all their defenders with his running and his work-rate. He didn’t score but it was a world class performance.

- I was laughing my head off watching Brewster join in with the fans singing “We will not be moved” sat on the bench near the end.

- I loved all the footage of the Barcelona fans looking shellshocked. They knew they were in big trouble as soon as the second goal went in. It was classy of a few of them to join in with YNWA and hold up their scarves, but most looked like they couldn’t wait to get out of Dodge.

- How cool is big Divock? He’s scored three massive goals this season and celebrates like he would if he scored in training.

- Robbo’s response when asked about Suarez, “Who’s going to the final?” couldn’t have been any better.

- Klopp was really emotional in that interview with Des Kelly. The whole atmosphere at the club just seems brilliant, from Klopp’s staff, to the young lads, to the players who don’t feature too often but are still part of the squad, it just feels like everyone is pulling together. Shanks, Bob, Joe and Ronnie would be proud of this lot.

- And lastly, just how good has our recruitment been the last two years?  Mo Salah, Andy Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Naby Keita, Fabinho, Xherdan Shaqiri, Alisson. Fuck me, these guys have transformed us under the guidance of the best manager in the world.

Eh Virg?

On 09/05/2019 at 22:24, The Guest said:

Imagine what it must have been like in the changies before the game.  Klopp must have been dropping some Al Pacino Any Given Sunday style bombs from what the players have been saying.

Repped for "changies". 

• 2 weeks later...

'It was a nightmare': Gerard Pique admits Barcelona are still suffering psychologically from humiliating Champions League exit at Liverpool

Gerard Pique has admitted Barcelona are still suffering psychologically from their dramatic Champions League exit to Liverpool.

The Spanish giants were expected to ease into the final in Madrid on June 1 after easing into a 3-0 lead in the first leg.

However, Pique and Co squandered their advantage as Liverpool produced one of the greatest European comebacks to win 4-0 and progress to the final against Tottenham

'It has been hard to get up emotionally because the days passed and you did not forget the defeat, it is a fall that will last over time,' he told El Pais .

'But we must take a step forward.

'It was a very difficult situation. The team sees that it is not going, you see that they are squeezing and that it is very recent last year.

'But we must not torture ourselves. Yes that is one of our great defeats. But that's the sport, where sometimes you have to bite the dust.

'It was a nightmare and you have to assume it because it can happen again. But we must understand why it happened and help us in the future because we want to raise the Champions [League] again.' 

It was the second embarrassing defeat for Barcelona in the Champions League in two years.

Roma also produced a thrilling performance to come from 4-1 down in the first leg to reach the quarter-finals at the expense of the Spanish giants in 2017-18.

Pique revealed that night in the Italian capital was on the minds of his team-mates at Anfield.

'When something like this happens, everything or almost everything has gone wrong,' he added. 

'I think that on a mental level, some people were affected by what happened in Rome because we had it very recently.

'With the first goal, which was very fast, unconsciously you see the image of Rome.

'Then two more came very quickly and it looked too much like what happened a year ago. Surely it was a mental block, but football was also missing.

'And they pressed very high, very intense, Anfield also played his role, we were not able. Sometimes happens. It was a very hard day.'

On 10/05/2019 at 20:29, Shooter in the Motor said:

Been looking forward to seeing this...

Long time lurker as i am a major introvert but inspired to post on the back of this and several Punk IPA's. Hair standing up on the back of my neck. Wow!

• Upvote 12

33 minutes ago, PaulDave said:

Long time lurker as i am a major introvert but inspired to post on the back of this and several Punk IPA's. Hair standing up on the back of my neck. Wow!

That's really great, it's events and moments like those captured on the video that should bring people together. If you want to get involved more, I say do it .I think there are lots of people in the same boat who use these forums for the very same reason.

YNWA.

• 1 year later...