You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0 (May 7 2019)

Great report, sums up my feelings (though I still hate Suarez).

I'd love to know what Fabinho shouted at him, there was some real anger in that.

Would've been very easy to be rattled by the unfair yellow, but his performance afterwards was exceptional. He was instrumental in both setting the early tone, and our game management. Great to see him doing it for a full game of high intensity too; his fitness levels have improved massively.

Dave you really captured it all in that report, great piece of writing. I'm with you on Suarez, I can't hate him, it's what he does & we loved him for it. But he's history, let's finish the job reds, 4th final under Jurgen, it's time we won.

Barca were time wasting from the start, so it was great to see them all getting massively riled up when we were doing the same with 5 minutes to go. The thing is - from the looks on their faces they seemed oblivious that they'd been doing it all along. 

Ha ha ha, suck on that you cheating bastards. 

What a game what a night just stunning really I don't have the words to do it justice. I broke my wrist over a year ago and I was clapping so enthusiastically last night that my wrist is killing me today but fuck it was worth it. What are group of players these lads are.

A magnum opus befitting the occasion, Dave.

I think your "cheats always prosper" comment was in response to my posting that perhaps - after Kompany's freakish strike - something freakish might finally go against City on Sunday.

Here's hoping.

In the meantime, thanks for entrenching last night's memories forever with this report.

Ace report you big gayer. 

But I might have to pull you off, sorry, up for; "I've made my peace... especially after we managed to salvage our season with this result."  Yes, this has been a remorseless, painful, extraordinary ride, but after that Lukaku's-arse-missing-red-card-dodging fuckwit's goal on Tuesdee, I was, and still am in the 'what a fucking incredible ride it's been, whatever happens now' camp. 

And tell me we'll be having sex in Madrid in a few weeks' time? Just don't tell Al or Ted. Or John. Or Woo. Or Joolz. 

• Upvote 3

Great report again Dave.  You really do have a talent for words.

Agree with you on Fabinho. We’ve already got the best defender in the world and arguably the best keeper. Is Fab the best holding midfielder in the world now? You know, he just might be.

Disagree on your view on taking Coutinho back home. I don’t want him back, and it’s not for any sentimental reason, He’s justy not fit to play our pressing style game. In many ways he’s yesteryears footballer. But more on that in another thread.

And yes! The ball boy is another hero. Kop should make a “we’ve got the best ball boys in the world”  song.

• Upvote 1

A couple of days on and it’s easier to analyse what went on a bit easier.  I think Barca turned up thinking either the tie was done or at the very least they didn’t have to do what they did last week to get through.

In the first leg they knew playing well wouldn’t win them the game.  They needed to cheat, whinge, argue with the ref over every call, try to rile our players, waste time etc.  Messi is not the saint people like to make him out to be but that was the worst I’ve ever seen him behave in a game.  They hadn’t played like that in any game I’d watched them.  It certainly was nothing like that in the United game.

The lead up to the game tells the story.  They were up our arse and it was patronising.  Suarez saying he wouldn’t celebrate, him and Coutinho getting a photo with the crest, they were never going to be at it 100% and when you play our lads these days if you aren’t at it 100% then you will get your arse handed to you.  Once you’ve started in that manner it’s very difficult to suddenly turn it on when you need to.

• Upvote 3

After the first leg Barry Glendening of the guardian said on the live updates, “Liverpool have had their backsides handed to them tonight”. The media thereafter continued to report an entire fabrication of what occurred during the match. A quiet Messi flukes a tap in from2 yards and deflects a stolen free kick in and it’s all forgotten. Not a peep about Barca’s antics or how well Liverpool dominated play. At the Nou Camp.

Well,  drink this up you fuckers.

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Ipplfc said:

That was the ref when Bobby scored the winner against PSG in the group stage and when we beat Dortmund in the Europa semi

He must love Anfield mustn't he? Probably the three best atmosphere's he'll have ever officiated in.  Bet he gave a little fist pump when he heard he'd drawn the 2nd leg.

• Upvote 1

On 09/05/2019 at 06:45, Marcas said:

Super report Dave. On a slightly different note, was I alone in feeling a gnawing sense of...dunno, something, when Maura got spuds through with the last kick of the game...?

Not alone. I was made up at the thought of facing Ajax as there's no way they could cope with us. When Spurs got that winner it was a bit of a sickener as they'll be a tougher opponent as our games with them are always close.

Spurs have had some incredible luck to get there. Lucky to get out of the group, saved by VAR right at the end against City and then scoring with literally the last kick of the semi to get out of jail.

Anyone who believes in that 'name on the trophy' stuff should be seriously worried about them based on how they got there.

16 hours ago, Reckoner said:

After the first leg Barry Glendening of the guardian said on the live updates, “Liverpool have had their backsides handed to them tonight”. The media thereafter continued to report an entire fabrication of what occurred during the match. A quiet Messi flukes a tap in from2 yards and deflects a stolen free kick in and it’s all forgotten. Not a peep about Barca’s antics or how well Liverpool dominated play. At the Nou Camp.

Well,  drink this up you fuckers.

Another flakey journo coming up with a narrative and bending facts to suit it. Even though we won, I'm still narked that the English media - and McManaman in commentary - failed to call out Barca for all those shithouse fouls in the 1st leg. I was soooo hoping that someone would take out Rakitic for that terrible foul that took out Naby - nobody in the ENGLISH media mentioned it. Just as well our boys are a lot more controlled and less emotional than me and served their dish of revenge ice cold (-ish). Looking like Rakitic and a few others are being shown the door as part of the aftermath. Good.

25 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Another flakey journo coming up with a narrative and bending facts to suit it. Even though we won, I'm still narked that the English media - and McManaman in commentary - failed to call out Barca for all those shithouse fouls in the 1st leg. I was soooo hoping that someone would take out Rakitic for that terrible foul that took out Naby - nobody in the ENGLISH media mentioned it. Just as well our boys are a lot more controlled and less emotional than me and served their dish of revenge ice cold (-ish). Looking like Rakitic and a few others are being shown the door as part of the aftermath. Good.

Two points:

A. I suppose it’s part of the game in Latin America and Spain to discuss every decision by the ref, no matter how obvious. Maybe it pays off sometimes? I don’t know. I do know there’s a price for it though. When you’re complaining, your mind isn’t alert on what’s happening around you.

B. Trent’s corner to 4-0

• dave u unpinned this topic