You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who do we want in the final then?

Sugar Ape

Who do we want in the final?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we want in the final?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/19 at 21:30

on paper we should win this game, and rather easily.

We've better defenders, a better keeper, better midfield and better attackers.

But these fucks have given us hell, probably more than any other team in the last 2 years. 

I would have rathered we played Ajax, but hopefully our players mental strength gets us over the line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ajax would have been more exciting and probably easier game, but also potentially a trickier game to prepare mentally. With Spurs, at least we know we are most likely in for a tough game in which anything can happen.   

39 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He had a good season last year, not just the MOTM performance in Kiev, keeping Ronaldo goalless. With all due respect mate, I think you’re letting your bias cloud your judgment on Lovren if I’m honest.

This is funny.

14 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t care much for wumming however much Grinch would like for you to believe for that to be the case mate.

Mate, you're honestly one of the most talented but also blatant Wum's I've come across on the internet. You don't have to deny it.

20 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

I         don't       care       who       we       play,      a      few      days      ago      we      didn't       even      think     we      would      be      at      a       final. 

Repped. You'd make a good replacement for RedShadow.

16 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Ardja gon’ ardj. 

I’m not sure that’s a fair comment in truth Numero. My first comment on this thread was calling for Klopp to stick with Matip when someone else asked for him to be dropped. You wanted a discussion and I was happy to indulge.

9 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I’m not his biggest fan, but you can’t drop Matip now IMO.

5 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It seems to take much longer for you to become a fan of somebody you judged as poor than it does for you to accept a guy who played well once isn’t very good. 

Even the commentators tor’s were going mad over Matip this last few months. He has been excellent this season. What is it going to take for you to start being a fan and how many shite performances will it take for you to realise Lovren is wank? 

Putting the pessimism to one side for a minute, looking back at finals between two teams from the same country, a couple of things strike me:  

First, regardless of who finished higher in the league, the team with the greater European pedigree has always won. Real Madrid in 2000, AC Milan in 2003, Manchester United in 2008, Bayern Munich in 2013, Real Madrid in 2014. Perhaps it means nothing, perhaps there’s something in the idea that the team for which this is a comparatively unique experience has more weighing on their shoulders.

Secondly, there’s never been a situation where a finalist finished as far behind the other as Spurs will this year. Best case scenario for them is 21 points behind, and the biggest gap as far as I can tell is Milan being 11 points behind Juventus.

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Putting the pessimism to one side for a minute, looking back at finals between two teams from the same country, a couple of things strike me:  

First, regardless of who finished higher in the league, the team with the greater European pedigree has always won. Real Madrid in 2000, AC Milan in 2003, Manchester United in 2008, Bayern Munich in 2013, Real Madrid in 2014. Perhaps it means nothing, perhaps there’s something in the idea that the team for which this is a comparatively unique experience has more weighing on their shoulders.

Secondly, there’s never been a situation where a finalist finished as far behind the other as Spurs will this year. Best case scenario for them is 21 points behind, and the biggest gap as far as I can tell is Milan being 11 points behind Juventus.

Cut this shit out mate. We need you to be negative. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Lovren has a higher ceiling IMO. Not that controversial opinion. Matip started the season as 4th choice mate. Regardless, I think he should start the final if fit.

Utter shite , matip has played to a level recently that lovren can only dream about . One word for lovren - cack 

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Have to correct that - Bayern finished 25 points ahead of Dortmund in 2013. 

Matip is clearly better suited to our style of play regardless of who is a better defender. For my money Matip is far superior but Lovren is still the best 4th choice centre back in the league.If he’s happy to stay knowing he’s 4th choice then I’d be more than happy with that  

I refuse to believe that Spurs actually want this more than Liverpool. That's not to say they don't want it badly, as I'm positive that they do. I just think the disappointments of two losing European finals under Klopp will be a greater motivation than anything Spurs can muster. 

This isn't even saying Spurs don't have a chance. Of course they do, they're a very good team who have made life difficult in games against Liverpool recently. At this point in time though, Liverpool are a better team and have better recent form. 

Basically, if the reds turn up in the final like they did at Anfield the other night, Spurs would be doing well to be within a couple of goals. Can they replicate that kind of performance away from the cauldron of Anfield? Time will tell.