You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who do we want in the final then?

Sugar Ape

Who do we want in the final?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we want in the final?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/19 at 21:30

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He isn't rated at 70m. When they asked for that, knowing mega-bucks Manchester United were interested and desperate, and even then it was laughed out of town. You can value your car at £100m but that doesn't make it worth it. As for Winks and Heaton. Good one. 

Back to denying how great Matip has been and how shit Lovren has been and then pretending the only game that ever existed is Lovren playing well in our 3-1 loss in a final.

Matip hasn’t *always* been great. He had a terrible year last year and Lovren (was very good one game aside) for the club and for his NT.

Okay, let’s just take Transfermarkt estimated value then.. Maguire is now rated at £40m+, where as both Lovren and Matip are tied at £18m.

41 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I find it difficult to judge a player’s ability based on current form, because forms tend to fluctuate. I mean currently Matip is also performing better than Gomez, but I still believe Gomez to be a better footballer than the German. 

What German?

I like all our CB’s and if the other three are happy to stay and fight for a place alongside Virg then it has to be said that we’re as well stocked in that position as we’re ever likely to be. 

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I was pro his signing. I think he’s a good footballer.

That’s fine, but not what I spoke about. His short burst of form before the injury had you saying about him being our best midfielder and you have said it since, that was on the form of a few games, no?  Current form. But you judged him because in your own words you were ‘ Pro his signing ‘ 

Did you see anything of Matip before he signed?

22 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Matip hasn’t *always* been great. He had a terrible year last year and Lovren (was very good one game aside) for the club and for his NT.

Okay, let’s just take Transfermarkt estimated value then.. Maguire is now rated at £40m+, where as both Lovren and Matip are tied at £18m.

No, Matip wasn't great last season - injury hit every two minutes. But he was the season before and has been this season. If you honestly want to judge players on last season's performances and not this year, then we should probably get rid of Gomez. Matip has been fucking excellent this season, and his level is so much higher than Lovren who is actually poor in so many ways, and doesn't really suit the way we play. He's a fucking liability when doing other than against the wall defending. The sooner he is fucked off, the better. 

As for Transfermarkt, then I guess we should throw the entire fucking thing out. Van Dijk, since his 75m move, has become the best defender in the world and was voted the best player in the league. His value has dropped to 67m. Naby, after coming in and not doing well, has risen in value and is worth 10s of millions more than Gini. And so much more than Harry Winks (18m). In short, no. Let's not use Transfermarkt, who value Dele Ali 15m more than Mane. Let's not use Transfermarkt who value Eric Dier and Gini Wijnaldum the same amount. No. Let's. Fucking. Not.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

That’s fine, but not what I spoke about. His short burst of form before the injury had you saying about him being our best midfielder and you have said it since, that was on the form of a few games, no?  Current form. But you judged him because in your own words you were ‘ Pro his signing ‘ 

Did you see anything of Matip before he signed?

He was better than anything I had seen of Hendo, Gini and Milner then. 

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, Matip wasn't great last season - injury hit every two minutes. But he was the season before and has been this season. If you honestly want to judge players on last season's performances and not this year, then we should probably get rid of Gomez. Matip has been fucking excellent this season, and his level is so much higher than Lovren who is actually poor in so many ways, and doesn't really suit the way we play. He's a fucking liability when doing other than against the wall defending. The sooner he is fucked off, the better. 

As for Transfermarkt, then I guess we should throw the entire fucking thing out. Van Dijk, since his 75m move, has become the best defender in the world and was voted the best player in the league. His value has dropped to 67m. Naby, after coming in and not doing well, has risen in value and is worth 10s of millions more than Gini. And so much more than Harry Winks (18m). In short, no. Let's not use Transfermarkt, who value Dele Ali 15m more than Mane. Let's not use Transfermarkt who value Eric Died and Gini Wijnaldum the same amount. No. Let's. Fucking. Not.

Matip had a good start to his first season then really struggled in the second half after his injury IIRC. When both are fit and firing Lovren is a better defender. I’m far from the only one, I think even Jurgen Klopp seems to agree. Had Lovren been fit at the start of the season, Matip probably wouldn’t have got a look in. We both listen to TAW podcast and they generally agree with me too. It’s not that controversial, they’ve both done well for us at different times in the past couple of years but neither is really in conversation for the best defenders in the world, etc. 

9 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He was better than anything I had seen of Hendo, Gini and Milner then. 

So in that handful of games, on current form he was better, no problem. But you said yourself you don’t judge a player on current form as it fluctuates. 

Yet a few good games made him our best midfielder, up until not long back you though he was still our best midfielder. Do you still think that, not in his position, in the midfield as a whole.

7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

So in that handful of games, on current form he was better, no problem. But you said yourself you don’t judge a player on current form as it fluctuates. 

Yet a few good games made him our best midfielder, up until not long back you though he was still our best midfielder. Do you still think that, not in his position, in the midfield as a whole.

I liked him since before his move and since. I can see you’re trying to pull a gotcha, but I don’t think it is really working for you with this one.

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

I liked him since before his move and since. I can see you’re trying to pull a gotcha, but I don’t think is really working you with this.

No you obviously judged him on current form as our best midfielder yet you don’t go by current form, no gotcha at all. You like him so you did judge him on current form, he struggled to get in the side, was average when given a chance, was he our best midfielder then. Did you put him above our midfield before Xmas that year.

14 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

No you obviously judged him on current form as our best midfielder yet you don’t go by current form, no gotcha at all. You like him so you did judge him on current form, he struggled to get in the side, was average when given a chance, was he our best midfielder then. Did you put him above our midfield before Xmas that year.

I thought he was a good footballer before his move and happy that we signed him, been happy since. So I’ve been consistent. 

Lovren has a catastrophic error in him every single game. Even more likely with him being out for such a spell.

The more Matip plays the more he looks like when we first brought him here. Confident and assured. He's playing on merit at the moment and Gomez's return is too late to for me for him to warrant a start. The CB partnership on Sunday Will likely point to the starters for the final. 

Assuming everyone is fit I only think there is one maybe two choices to be made for that starting eleven who partners Fabhino in the middle of the park.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I thought he was a good footballer before his move and happy that we signed him, been happy since. So I’ve been consistent. 

You haven’t answered the question though have you. Do you only judge players you like on current form? Seems if you don’t like a player current form is not a way to judge , as it fluctuates, your words. Now this is regarding AOC, if you judged Lovren on fluctuating form you’d be flucked.