You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (H) Champions League Semi Final 2nd Leg 7/5/19

Bjornebye

Everything changed last night.

Successful people and organisations, whether they're great actors, bands, or even empires, elicit jealousy and resentment from those around them. 

But at certain points in history which are all too few, they achieve a level of such mastery that even their most bitter detractors have no choice but to sit back and admire their sheer magnificence. 

No talk of cheating, no jibes, nothing, just sheer dumbstruck respect and the acceptance that they're privileged to even be fans of the same sport in which such nights and feats are possible. 

Last night was when LFC broke English football.

• Upvote 8

I'm on holiday at moment in Whitby and watched the game in the Whitby fishermans club.

I had a fiver on us to win 4 0 with Ladbrokes at 40/1,It was my birthday and I was paying £4.90

for a pint and a gin and tonic !

What a performance from the team.still buzzing and nursing a massive hangover.

• Upvote 10

Martin Samuel Daily Mail - 'It could be a perfect ending - and they would deserve it like no team before'

Better than Istanbul? Yes, go on then. It was better than Istanbul. Barcelona are better than AC Milan. Lionel Messi is better than Kaka. And Liverpool now are better than Liverpool then. Liverpool now are nothing less than astonishing.

At the end of this wonderful, unbelievable, fantastical game, Jurgen Klopp linked arms with his players, facing The Kop as the whole of Anfield, including some among the bereft Catalan enclave, sung You’ll Never Walk Alone. 

One had the feeling this was the moment he had been working towards since the day he set foot on Merseyside. This spirit. This togetherness. This performance. This passion, this emotion: it was all here, every last drop of what he wanted top achieve. And yet, there is still such a long way to go.

Suddenly, however, the potential disappointment of falling a point short to Manchester City on Sunday, did not appear so bleak. Liverpool will have something to play for beyond that. They will have a second consecutive Champions League final but, this time, not against the most experienced team in Europe. Liverpool will face the winners of tonight’s meeting between Tottenham and Ajax. It could be a perfect ending. Even if it is Manchester City’s season, it may be theirs too.

And they would deserve it like no team before; they would deserve it as much as they did not deserve the three goal defeat at Nou Camp that had to be overturned on Tuesday night.

The Times Henry Winter - 'the greatest night in Anfield's long and illustrious history'

Unbelievable. Unforgettable. For years to come Liverpool fans will recall with pride and joy what their passionate, inspired team did here on the greatest night in Anfield's long and illustrious history. Liverpool overturned the 50-1 odds, they overwhelmed the great Lionel Messi, they overcame vaunted Barcelona. They reached the Champions League final when few outside Anfield gave them a chance.

Inside Anfield a different mood pervades, one that entertains no doubts. This was supposedly mission impossible, but Liverpool believed.

They knew what they were up against, the qiality of Messi, the cunning of Luis Suarez, the game management of Sergio Busquets and goalkeeping of Marc-Andre ter Stegen. They still believed. This is Anfield. This is what they do here.

Jonathan Liew The Independent - 'Philippe Coutinho's parents are beginning to get worried.'

Nobody has seen Philippe Coutinho for about half an hour and his parents are beginning to get worried.

Luis Suarez is staring into space. To describe it as a thousand-yard stare would be to undersell it by an order of magnitude. Such is the sunkenness of his eyes, the emptiness of his glare, the blankness of his features, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he could see straight into his front room in Uruguay.

From his expression alone, you wouldn’t know if he were watching a nuclear mushroom cloud, Chamberlain’s declaration of war on Germany or a video on dental etiquette.

What’s just happened is that Gini Wijnaldum has headed Liverpool into a 3-0 lead on the night. Once again, this is a scenario that has been transcribed from the pages of pure fantasy.

Jordi Alba doesn’t normally get tackled in his own corner, but this time he does. Ter Stegen doesn’t normally let shots squirm under his arm, but this time he does.

Clement Lenglet doesn’t normally lose his man in the area, but this time he does. Gini Wijnaldum doesn’t normally score at all. He has one Champions League goal in his entire Liverpool career. Now he has two in the space of two minutes.

The Times Matt Dickinson - 'Miraculous? of course, few of us, if anyone, saw it coming.'

Football f*****g hell. But no-one minded when Jurgen Klopp dropped the f-bomb live on television. After this he could have stripped off and run around Anfield with his pants down and it all would have seemed part of his manic German charm. With that grin and this football he can get away with anything.

What a night. What a triumph from Klopp and his Liverpool heroes: one to eclipse even that fabled Miracle of Istanbul in 2005, certainly as a superior team performance.

Miraculous? of course, few of us, if anyone, saw it coming. Even Klopp must have had his doubts but central to his brilliance is the belief that he can instil in players. heck you feel ready to pull on your boots just listening to him in a press conference.

Sam Wallace Daily Telegraph - 'No team does this in the second leg of a Champions League semi-final'

Thus far unable to catch Pep Guardiola’s latest creation in the league, Liverpool took an almighty revenge on one he made earlier, and the history of this great club in European football may never be the same again.

They thought they had written the book on the matter of comebacks in the Champions League – concerning that story you may have heard from 14 years earlier in Istanbul, although this one, it has to be said, bears comparison. Three goals down to the Barcelona of late-era Lionel Messi, his genius declared in no uncertain terms in the first leg, and yet by 10pm the world’s greatest player was heading back down the tunnel defeated, a man with a wild look in his eye.

No team does this in the second leg of a Champions League semi-final without wondering if the hand of destiny is not ushering them down an alternative path to glory to the one they have chased all season.

On Monday night, Manchester City edged the Premier League just a little further from Liverpool’s grasp which felt monumental - and then came Tuesday night when the response at Anfield was, quite frankly, stupendous.

How did this happen? Klopp reflected later, “I said to the boys before the game, ‘I don't think it's possible but because it's you we have a chance"'.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Wezza said:

To be fair I’ve had loads of messages from mates who support a variety of teams saying fair play, even a Manc supporting mate sent me a round of applause!

I had a mate in Madrid who's an Athletic fan offering me accommodation this morning, they love it in Spain!

I stand by what I said last week too about Messi not being the best player in history. 

Once again as he's proven - and has done so many a time for Argentina - unless he's playing in the best team, surrounded by the best players who've often been bought borrowed or stolen purely just to complement him, on home turf - he's found wanting, in this case, completely anonymous. 

The best sportsmen and women stand up when the shit hits the fan. Beating the shit out of someone who's smaller than you doesn't make  you the world's greatest boxer. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elite said:

Got to love Shaq. He may not play much but his passion for this team is incredible.

yeah his lack of game time showed lastnight but he didnt stop chasing the ball