You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: The performance was great but the result was not

Jurgen Klopp has praised his players for their performance, but bemoaned their misfortune as Liverpool fell to a 3-0 defeat in the first leg of their Champions League semi final clash against Barcelona at the Camp Nou on Wednesday evening.

Two goals from Leo Messi and another from Luis Suarez proved the difference as the Reds now face a mountain to climb at Anfield on Tuesday evening especially with no away goal to give them a real sense of hope. 

Despite the result, Jurgen Klopp was proud of his players for the performance they produced against the Catalan giants.

ESPN reported Klopp as saying:

"Football is like this. It is about scoring goals and they scored three and we scored none but the performance was really good, the boys played a super game to be honest but against a side like Barcelona, a few moments are enough to give them the opportunity." 

"What can I say? I am really happy with the performance but of course not too happy with the result, we have to take that, that's football and we know that.

"How we created the moments was outstanding, how we caused them problems was outstanding, we controlled the game so well.

"We went in at halftime, analysed the half, told the boys what we can do better and what have to do it again.

"I don't know if we can play it much better to be honest."

In these kinds of games it is all about small margins when it comes to taking your chances when presented and stopping the opposition in the best way you can.

And when you have someone like Messi in your team, a bit of class doesn't hurt either.

Klopp said his team had to deal with some misfortune, along with some Messi magic and gamesmanship from the savvy veterans.

15567477082614.jpg

"You have that one moment, the ball hits the crossbar ... and then Messi is there for an easy goal. Then a wonder strike again, that is how it is. That ball was obviously unsaveable.

"Barcelona showed they had more experience. We saw that in the moments when they stopped our rhythm, going down, but that's part of the game."

When asked if Liverpool could produce a comeback for the ages, Klopp was reluctant to promise anything but knew the fans as well as his players would be up for the challenge.

"3-0 is not the easiest result but we have another game(second leg) and our people will be there."

View full article

People will analyse his change in tactics more than they'll ask how Mane, Milner and Salah missed clear-cut chances (the latter two open goals really) that they would have put away in their sleep in most league games.

I'm sure that's incredibly frustrating for him, but all part of the job.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

People will analyse his change in tactics more than they'll ask how Mane, Milner and Salah missed clear-cut chances (the latter two open goals really) that they would have put away in their sleep in most league games.

Exactly, even Klopp can't legislate for several of the best strikers in the world fucking up on the night. He can only set things up to make the chances for them .  

I wouldn't be too critical of Jurgen for last night's scoreline.  Gomez for TAA made sense, as he is perceived to be a bit more solid defensively for what was a tricky fixture.  The tactical adjustment in shape could be deemed necessary due to Firmino's absence, and worked in a sense because we created great opportunities.  The attacking attitude in the latter part of the game is part of who we are and was a natural consequence of what had preceded it.  We were creating good chances and knew the value of the away goal so kept going for it.  You could argue that it left us too open, but the goals they scored didn't come from us being too exposed in my opinion.  They were just clinical with the chances that came their way.  

Suck it up and fucking batter them 5-1 at our place.

12 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Agree with your point, but I’d say analyse is probably not the correct word. Anyone remotely capable of actually analysing a game of football would not point at the tactics as a reason for that defeat.