You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Very mature performance

Paul

That had potential for problems on so many levels, yet we're through it comfortably. The score was convincing, the young lads were fine and no-one got sent off (which looked highly likely at one stage).

Millwall were very mediocre - and I'm not referring just to their fans (How first division can you get, all chanting "woah" for about 20 mins without let up?). However, some of their tackles were disgraceful and Kevin Muscat really should have been sent off. He made at least three straight-red challenges, in my opinion, and was never less than cynical throughout; particularly in the follow-through on The Pong which ended his participation in the match.

One positive to come out of the game was the character we showed. We refused to be bullied whilst simultaneously keeping our own heads. The young lads should have been succeptable to intimidation, yet, with the possible exception of Potter, were fine. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Potter, as I know he played out of position, but he seemed to be a little reticent in the tackle on a number of occasions. However, his fine pass for Milan's second more than made amends.

We also coped fine with their "big scarey secret weapon", the shitty long throw. Jerzy seemed perfectly comfortable even though they tried to rough him up every time their flinger was lobbing it in.

I thought Biscan and Diao both had decent games, with Igor showing some classy close control. However, after being spoilt by Alonso this season, it was noticeable how we struggled to retain possession in the middle, with the exception of one or two periods of the match.

Overall, this potential banana skin was easily overcome - and so it should have been against such a poor side from the lower leagues. However, I can't help feeling this would have gone the other way under GH: we'd have sat on the 1-0, had someone sent off and ended up going out in extra-time or on pens.

In short, it seems the whole mentality of the club is changing. The players seem confident, positive and aggressive (in a fair way). Viva la Rafalution.

I agree...

Another point... we change the whole side from last game, and we still defended like the side has been playing together for years...that was good too see...

Mellor looked like he was thinking too much that this was his chance to shine, and took too long on the ball before finishing. Potter is no right wing, was a lot better in the centre late on...and his run for the second and pass for the third should boost his confidence. Of the younger ones Whitbread was the one who impressed me the most... A debut to be proud of!!... Only one kamikaze pass that was intercepted, but then he cleared the danger himself...

All in all a good work out...Not a spectacular game to watch, but a solid team performance, another away win, three goals scored. Think Rafa will be pleased by this one!

"I thought Biscan and Diao both had decent games"

Igor - fair enough.

But Diao - you are taking the piss. He was shit. The only one of the 11 that was to be fair.

Potter was quiet and it wasn't happening for Mellor but not for the want of trying. I thought Whitbread was excellent.

Thought Diao was a disgrace. My mum kept asking me how an earth he plays for Liverpool and she doesn't really know much bless her. Well she never used to.

Thought it was a good professional performance overall. Was very proud of the young lads tonight, they were very reslilient. Potter has a great touch, it would be good to see him get a game in the centre. Think he's shown lots of promise.

When Milan came on I knew he'd terrorise them. Get in there MILAN!!!

I genuinely didn't see Diao as having a poor game. Yes he didn't set the world on fire, but his goal was well taken and he didn't have any major fuck-ups. Lke I said, a "decent" performance. What was so terrible about him, because I didn't notice?

How many times did he give the ball away to an opposition player by his casual lazy distribution? In fact cancel that - how many times did he pass to another team mate? The free kick he conceded because he was out fought by those scum so he pulls him back. Time and time again he put us on the back foot.

The goal aside he was shite and against better opposition we'd have been punished.

Learnt nothing from his performance against Fulham.

Don't let the door bang your arse on the way out.

Guest darryljon

Agree with most you guy's the only dissappointing thing was Mellor & Pongolle who really did not do enough to me to show they are good enough for 1st team action and 1st choice picks, although Pongo came off early i've seen him play better.

Mellor didn't play well at all, Pongolle slightly better but not good enough. I was impressed by Igors preformance though. He was pure class yesterday imo, in both tackling and passing. He was also a threat to Millwall on every corner, and just unlucky not to score one.

All in all, every Liverpool-player can be satisfied with the level of committment they showed, it didn't look like they played a 1. div team (or championship-team or whatever they call 2. div-teams nowadays..)

How many times did he give the ball away to an opposition player by his casual lazy distribution? In fact cancel that - how many times did he pass to another team mate? The free kick he conceded because he was out fought by those scum so he pulls him back. Time and time again he put us on the back foot.

Don't really remember any of that, but I'll take your word for it as you seem so fired up by his performance - or lack of it. Can't disagree that he needs to go though and I'm very surprised that Rafa keeps selecting him ahead of Biscan for the bench.

Igor certainly took plenty of responsibility last night and I'd like to see how he'd cope with Welsh next to him. Hopefully another couple of reserve performances like the one this week, followed by a good showing in training, and he can get in the side for the next round. He's a more commited and far cheaper squad option than Diao.

I was well impressed by Zak good to see him in a competitive game as all the other times I;'ve seen him has been with USA undeage teams-He certainly didn't look out of place and ,like Warnock,looks like he could be a usefull squad player to have - Thought Igor was great last nite , and was disgusted that Jerzy was given the captaincy for the nite , would love for it to have been igor.

Mellor ,looked a yard of the pace last nite , and seemed to have a pound or two more than usual, he got into good positions at times ,but was disapointing ,but he'll be better next outing .Great swing at that prick as well

Jerzy did well with the long throws and as he HAD to ,came for everything,

Potter got a bit isolated at times , but has bags of talent and I just can't wait to see him get a game in the middle .That ball for Baros was sweeeeet.Warnock did very well again ,and I'm so glad to see him walk again after that pricks OTT tackle -

Overal;l I was well impressed with the fighting spirit we showed, the composure in the face of terrible provacation ( on the field) ,some of the passing moves were very good and I felt the young lads performed very well -Hope we get a good draw tonite that'll allow Rafa to do the same again -

• Upvote 1

Surely last night was Diao's last game for the club. He was a complete waste of space - and I say that as someone who has given him the benefit of the doubt in the past. If he gets into the team ahead of Igor again (or even ahead of Potter or Welsh) it'll be a massive injustice.

Of the young lads I thought Warnock and Whitbread showed the most class on the night. How Potter got MOTM from Bascombe I'll never know as he was poor right up until he was moved into the middle (which definitely looks like his natural position.) Mellor did okay but didn't really get enough service from what was a narrow, three man midfield.

Good to see that we can play kids and still comfortably progress against a decent first division side, though. Another flaw of the Houllier regime banished!

Agree with most you guy's the only dissappointing thing was Mellor & Pongolle who really did not do enough to me to show they are good enough for 1st team action and 1st choice picks, although Pongo came off early i've seen him play better.

Completely disagree about pongo. Thought after a slow start he really began to get into the game and was gutted he had to go off. His control and first touch were a class above anyone else on the pitch once he got into the game - disappointing pass to Mellor when they were 2 on 1 tho!

Thought Warnock looked classy as well - will play better in a midfield that gets him the ball more regularly and his work rate was excellent.

This is the most varied set of opinions on player performances I've read in ages. Maybe the aggressive nature of the game and the shite happening off the pitch clouded all our judgements?

You could be right. I still can't believe people are saying Henchoz was shite. I thought he was a rock, and showed a great attitude for someone in his situation. Game of opinions and all that.

You could be right. I still can't believe people are saying Henchoz was shite. I thought he was a rock, and showed a great attitude for someone in his situation. Game of opinions and all that.

Dave seeing it live, Henchoz was shocking... first division standard and slower than a granny. I used to love him but he is so mediocre now.

This is the most varied set of opinions on player performances I've read in ages. Maybe the aggressive nature of the game and the shite happening off the pitch clouded all our judgements?

My judgement is always correct. Never doubt it again:-)

(says the man who made a huge blunder in the latest match report - see if you can spot it as well:-))

• Upvote 1