You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Yeah. It’s great. I thought it felt like there were a couple of tiny little missteps in the editing (Bucky just turning up unannounced, New Cap latching on to Sam with barely an explanation, the doc dragging Sam into Buck’s therapy), but nothing that really bothered me. 

Walker told Sam they’d tracked him through Redwing which the government was monitoring.

Another really enjoyable episode. I’m assuming that while Walker isn’t a super soldier yet, this is why they’ve introduced The Powerbroker.

I thought that the death of the Flagsmasher at the hands of The Powerbroker’s men lacked any impact as we don’t really know any of them well enough, but once again Marvel are working to make their bad guys more nuanced than the average fare.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Zemo. The trailers make it look like he may join the Flagsmashers, but given his hatred of superheroes you would think he’s no more well-disposed to them than any others.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Walker told Sam they’d tracked him through Redwing which the government was monitoring.

Another really enjoyable episode. I’m assuming that while Walker isn’t a super soldier yet, this is why they’ve introduced The Powerbroker.

I thought that the death of the Flagsmasher at the hands of The Powerbroker’s men lacked any impact as we don’t really know any of them well enough, but once again Marvel are working to make their bad guys more nuanced than the average fare.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Zemo. The trailers make it look like he may join the Flagsmashers, but given his hatred of superheroes you would think he’s no more well-disposed to them than any others.

Yeah. I heard that. Just thought the whole “I need Falcon” bit was a little hurried. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Yeah. I heard that. Just thought the whole “I need Falcon” bit was a little hurried. 

I thought they set that up with his insecurity in the locker room at the beginning so was ok with it personally, but can understand what you mean.

24 minutes ago, Elite said:

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes, better than WandaVision for me.

Although I agree, the fact it's more conventional also helps the start. Wandavison took until Episode 4 to make any sense. Although I'm sure there will be a couple of twists & turns along the way, at the moment, it's started like Captain America 4.

• Upvote 1

Another excellent episode and easing fears that everything would be too child friendly with Disney involved. 

I'm thinking this has to go on for a second season or be continued in a movie.  There's a lot of storyline to be played out. 

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Another excellent episode and easing fears that everything would be too child friendly with Disney involved. 

I'm thinking this has to go on for a second season or be continued in a movie.  There's a lot of storyline to be played out. 

Agreed. These characters are far too good to waste on just 6 episodes.

The chemistry between the 2 of them is brilliant and with them getting in line with him tonight (no spoilers) has made it better.

They’ve hit the bullseye with this show. Hope they don’t rush the last episode and cram all the loose ends into the last 10 minutes like everything else I’ve invested into lately. 

Agree another excellent episode. I love the way Marvel don’t just present you with one dimensional villainy (for the most part anyway), but rather give you villains you can relate to on some level, even though the way they go about achieving their ends may be abhorrent.

Yes to all that. I still feel there are a few clunky narrative leaps (Zemo just boxing off a jet because he’s “royalty”, Carter just turning up at exactly the right moment to save the day) but it doesn’t get in the way. I do think these little hiccups are linked to Marvel adjusting to the format though as they never occur in the movies. The need to have a cliffhanger at the end of every episode clearly affects the narrative structure. They just need to work on their editing and it’ll be perfect. 

The tone is great though and the action scenes continue to be ace. Love the last minute Wakanda factor being introduced too. Wonder whether they might announce T’Challa’s death in this to explain away the loss of Chadwick Boseman. 

I was hoping to watch this all in one go, but it seems even harder to avoid spoilers this time around, so I'm up to date with it now.

Quite enjoying it, and I suspect the more conventional approach of TFATWS will give it broader appeal than WandaVision. The best thing about the television series format is giving characters who were a bit underdeveloped in the movies more of a chance to shine.

Both protagonists are similar in that they are heavily burdened by guilt - Falcon for neglecting his family and passing up the chance to follow Steve Rogers, and Bucky by all the really bad stuff he did as Winter Soldier.

The introduction of US Agent (I'm not calling him Captain America, there's only one Cap) was an inspired move and something I didn't see coming. I can't believe I didn't know that he is Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's lad.

I couldn't work out where I'd seen the English girl before, then I realised she had a major role in Solo (and I have three different versions of her action figure). Someone at Disney's casting department must really love her.

I'd be surprised if, after this initial run of six episodes, they didn't greenlight a whole bunch more.

Sticking with MCU TV shows on Disney+, I also watched the final series of Agents of SHIELD, because unlike the first six, they never screened it on UK terrestrial telly. Is it just me who watches this here?

For me it's the epitome of a show that started off slowly and really found its feet the longer it went on. By the end it was genuinely sad to bid farewell to all of these characters. I definitely recommend it (and Agent Carter) if you want another Marvel fix.

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Sticking with MCU TV shows on Disney+, I also watched the final series of Agents of SHIELD, because unlike the first six, they never screened it on UK terrestrial telly. Is it just me who watches this here?

For me it's the epitome of a show that started off slowly and really found its feet the longer it went on. By the end it was genuinely sad to bid farewell to all of these characters. I definitely recommend it (and Agent Carter) if you want another Marvel fix.

Think RP might have been watching but I watched it all too. Same for me, it grew into a very good show as it went along. 

• Upvote 1

I'll admit I am intrigued, because back in the day Hawkeye always seemed like one of the lamest superheroes to me. What's your superpower? I fire arrows. Oh, okay then.

I thought Jeremy Renner did a cracking job in the movies, and apparently the series is going to shine a bit more light on his time as Ronin, and I definitely appreciated the darker Punisher-like tone they had going there. In fact they didn't spend near enough time addressing his years-long murder spree in Endgame.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

We watched it. One of those shows I’m glad we stuck with. First season was awful but after Winter Soldier it really improved. Sad to see it go really. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I was hoping to watch this all in one go, but it seems even harder to avoid spoilers this time around, so I'm up to date with it now.

Quite enjoying it, and I suspect the more conventional approach of TFATWS will give it broader appeal than WandaVision. The best thing about the television series format is giving characters who were a bit underdeveloped in the movies more of a chance to shine.

Both protagonists are similar in that they are heavily burdened by guilt - Falcon for neglecting his family and passing up the chance to follow Steve Rogers, and Bucky by all the really bad stuff he did as Winter Soldier.

The introduction of US Agent (I'm not calling him Captain America, there's only one Cap) was an inspired move and something I didn't see coming. I can't believe I didn't know that he is Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's lad.

I couldn't work out where I'd seen the English girl before, then I realised she had a major role in Solo (and I have three different versions of her action figure). Someone at Disney's casting department must really love her.

I'd be surprised if, after this initial run of six episodes, they didn't greenlight a whole bunch more.

Erin Kellyman is going to be in the Disney Willow show too.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elite said:

Hawkeye is the show I'm looking forward to the most, love Jeremy Renner and as Strontz said above the TV format will give him ample time to shine as oppose to his brief cameos in the movies.

Plus Hailee Steinfeld is boss in everything she's in.

Thought this was the best episode yet. Sebastian Stan was absolutely incredible at the start as Ayo tested the reprogramming job carried out on him. I think the way he’s shown the pain he carries for his crimes as the Winter Soldier and also the fear of that lack of control returning has humanised his character incredibly well. 

Similarly, Sam’s character took on greater depth as we saw the way he tried to engage with Karli. It was a timely reminder of the guy he was when he first entered the MCU and also a nice counterpoint to the idea that only super soldier violence is a way forward through tough situations. This was Sam showing his Cap credentials: being Captain America is not about how strong you are physically; it’s about how strong you are morally. 

I’m also really enjoying the unfolding Dora Milaje mythology and the way this is drawing Wakanda more firmly into the wider MCU, as it’s felt like a bit of a separate entity up until now. And besides, who can’t enjoy badass female warriors twatting fuck out of people with ease?

We finally got to the crunch moment of the theme of this series too with Zemo being proven right about the super soldier serum and super beings in general. Karli is deffo out of control and as for US Agent (agree with whoever made that point above: Walker’s no Cap), what a great antagonist he is. Love that whole creepy weirdo thing he’s doing while he wrestles with the weight of the shield. And that ending! Ooofff!!! 

Tonally, the episode was spot on yet again. I thought they handled Lamar’s death really well (dramatic and portentous without slipping into melodrama). I also like the way this is continuing the wider MCU theme of governments/government agencies out of control/harmful to ordinary people with all the GRC ineptitude laid bare. Also, the fact that they continue to show the political effects of big events (Sokovia, The Blip) grounds the whole MCU in a way that no other superhero film/TV content ever has: there are real consequences from all the shit that happens around these superheroes and it’s not all just sunny uplands for the grateful proles. In a way, it’s making broader points about the nature of power in a way that’s more mature than most straight drama you see. 

Lastly, the whole Power Broker/Sharon Carter angle is brewing up nicely. I’m not having that she’s the PB, but I do think the Thunderbolt Ross rumours are well founded and that she’s entangled with him against her better judgement. Probably something to do with the lack of pardon she mentioned earlier in the series: Ross is dangling a carrot for her to get her slate wiped, maybe. Plus Zemo is absolutely perfect for any future Thunderbolts movie/show and it makes sense that that would begin to take root here. 

Overall, this is fucking great. Marvel are absolutely smashing it with their TV stuff and with the new Loki trailer out, it looks like they’re going from strength to strength. Roll on next week. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure if it’s deliberate, and it may be purely coincidental, but a some of the Captain America sequences almost seem to ape Steve Rogers situations - the fight atop the trucks similar to Age Of Ultron, and the assault with the shield very like the end of Civil War - but with very different contexts as if to highlight the differences between Rogers and Walker. I may be overthinking that, though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’m not sure if it’s deliberate, and it may be purely coincidental, but a some of the Captain America sequences almost seem to ape Steve Rogers situations - the fight atop the trucks similar to Age Of Ultron, and the assault with the shield very like the end of Civil War - but with very different contexts as if to highlight the differences between Rogers and Walker. I may be overthinking that, though.

I reckon you might be right. They go really deep into all that continuity shit in the MCU so it’s certainly not a wild shout. 

They were definitely drawing parallels between Sam and Steve this week as well as contrasting Sam’s suitability to carry the shield with Walker’s.