You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

11 hours ago, RedKnight said:

So did I. I found the whole thing underwhelming, it never added up to be better than it's individual parts. All that extra time and really Karli's motivation was never fully explored. Cutting away from Bucky's difficult conversation also seemed needless since, as a TV show, there's plenty of time to have that scene. You can't have near 6 hours to tell a story and whiff on stuff like that.

Apparently the story and filming got a bit disrupted by the whole pandemic. So a lot of stuff got changed.

I heard that the flagsmashers were going to release some kind of biological weapon, which was what the lorry chase scene in the first or second episode was about, and Karli's adoptive mother figure ends up dieing because of it. This got cut because it was a bit insensitive given the covid situation, I reckon some of the baddies motivation would have been explored in those scenes but they couldn't edit around it. 

It made sense to me because like you said, some character development seemed to be a bit lacking, and at the same time in the last two episodes they leaned very heavily on the African American mistreatment angle where some scenes went on for a bit too long to pad out the runtime, so its obvious that it was directly influenced by real world current events during it's production. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

I enjoyed it. However, not being fully into the whole universe- what is the deal with Carter and her line? I feel you need more information than was given in the series. 

She wasn’t forgiven for helping Steve and the others when they broke the accords. Hence she’s bitter and twisted. However, I felt that was a disappointing development and not that well handled. 

I’ve also seen speculation that she’s actually a Skrull as Carter was shown as having been snapped in Endgame and there’s no way she could simply become the Powerbroker in just a couple of months after blipping back. I reckon it’s just a continuity error though and that she’s the real Carter. 

• 2 weeks later...

New extended Loki trailer looks really good: high concept (obviously), high production values, action and humour. I wasn’t arsed about it when it was first announced, but I reckon it might be the best one yet. 

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

New extended Loki trailer looks really good: high concept (obviously), high production values, action and humour. I wasn’t arsed about it when it was first announced, but I reckon it might be the best one yet. 

Sure I read that Kevine Feige has hired the writer of this show to write his Star Wars movie. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bit underwhelmed by the Eternals trailer but it’s Marvel so I’ll see it all the same. Not a comic I’ve ever read in my 30 or so years of reading Marvel. 

The big one this phase so far is Spider-Man 3 and I guess we’ll see the trailer for that over the next month or two.

Looking forward to see if the “newest and tallest avenger” makes the trailer cut, alongside if they confirm the much rumoured supporting cast.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/06/2021 at 11:02, skend04 said:

Loki first episode was fun. Liking the visuals and style of the TVA 

gonna try to say this without spoilers cause I don’t think many have seen it yet.

I don’t think he’s going to be sent after who we’re told it is.

Also why do so many sources keep claiming this starts at end game.  It’s clearly way way before that.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

gonna try to say this without spoilers cause I don’t think many have seen it yet.

I don’t think he’s going to be sent after who we’re told it is.

Also why do so many sources keep claiming this starts at end game.  It’s clearly way way before that.

Yep, this is the Loki right after Avengers Assemble. 

20 hours ago, Paul said:

I thought it was pretty dull, to be honest. Needs to raise its game big time. 

I enjoyed it but it was a set-up episode. It was really all about establishing the TVA and Loki’s motivations. Hopefully, now they’ve established the basics it’ll pick up a little action wise. 

The TVA is pure 70s kitsch in interior decor, and pure 70s Star Wars in its outer design. It does work remarkably well. Where it falls down a little is the lack of alternative races.

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

I enjoyed it but it was a set-up episode. It was really all about establishing the TVA and Loki’s motivations. Hopefully, now they’ve established the basics it’ll pick up a little action wise. 

The TVA is pure 70s kitsch in interior decor, and pure 70s Star Wars in its outer design. It does work remarkably well. Where it falls down a little is the lack of alternative races.

The idea of a set up episode should be anathema though. Marvel has got some work to do in terms of narrative structure and pacing of its TV shows. All three have had stumbles in that regard so far (with the caveat that each production was affected by Covid).  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone checked out the finale of Loki yet?

Sets up the next phase of the MCU very well and finally gives Loki some character depth. 

Guess that was its main purpose really and it did that well in the end. 

Roll on Spider-Man 3, Doctor Strange 2 and Ant-Man 3.

2 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Anyone checked out the finale of Loki yet?

Sets up the next phase of the MCU very well and finally gives Loki some character depth. 

Guess that was its main purpose really and it did that well in the end. 

Roll on Spider-Man 3 and Doctor Strange 2

I'll be popping it on at lunchtime. Apart from episode 3 and the scrap at the end of episode 4 I've really enjoyed it. Think Hiddleston and Wilson had good screen chemistry in their scenes. Hopefully the finale is good.

Just finished it. Think the whole thing was shit and boring. The first really big misstep in the MCU. Felt like almost half that last episode was Kang talking absolute gibberish. And it completely failed to establish why he was so apparently terrifying. Fuck knows what they’ll use a second season for. Hope this isn’t a sign that Feige has spread himself too thinly.