You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

32 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Think I’ve come to the conclusion Falcon & Winter Soldier would have been better as Captain America 4. 

The 2nd half of this weeks episode is dreadful.

I reckon they’ve stuck stuff in about Sam’s sister and Bucky making amends with stuff to pad it out into a show. 

Cut out the boring shit, and you have a 2.5hr movie, that flows miles better. 

I thought that was great tonight. I’m really enjoying the way they’re able to go way deeper into the characters and the racial politics are pretty breathtaking given the context and medium. I’ll watch it again in the morning and mull it over a bit more, but I think it’s been great. 

2 hours ago, Juniper said:

Also, there’s a mid credits scene in this one.

Cheers for that.  I didn't bother after the rest of the episodes having ten minutes for no reason at all. 

Us agent is infinitely more interesting and realistic than Falcon.  Can't wait to see what they do there. 

Poor episode that tonight. I get the message it was portraying and that but it was too long and they made it boring in the end. 

How did Falcon go from catching the shield with no problems when he was having a game of frisbee with Winter yet in the later montage he couldn’t get anywhere near it?

That boat repair could have done with a montage with all the people who got called in to repay the favours who done absolutely nothing when they turned up. 

Too many over dramatic cinematic scenes with moody shots of them staring into the distance that went on for ages. 

That episode would have been better being condensed into the last 15 minutes of the final episode. 

3/10 

Really enjoyed the episode. The calm before the storm. I like the way they’ve made the central theme identity.

Sam struggling with Steve trying to pass on the mantle of Captain America to him.

Bucky struggling with his place in a post Winter Soldier world.

Walker struggling to be the person the government want him to be.

The Flagsmasher struggle to find their place in a post-reverse snap world.

To a lesser extent the Wilson family’s place in the community and Sharon Carter appears to be pretty much confirmed as the Powerbroker.

Also, now that Zemo is off to the raft I expect he’ll be joining the Thunderbolts.

Personally enjoyed it all. I think the six episodes have given the characters time to breathe and allow them to explore issues which are relevant right now.

• Upvote 2

I think it’s all set the scene for a final episode brilliantly: Sam now has what I assume is a Vibranium Falcon suit but with the Captain America branding to go with the shield; Walker is now set to turn into US Agent; Bucky is all set to reveal the truth about himself to the old man from the first episode; we’ve been given a misdirect about Sharon Carter being the Powerbroker when in actual fact I think she’s under deep cover in some way; Julia Louis Dreyfus appearing as the Contessa, who apparently is someone called Madame Hydra from the comics, but I think here is basically the Powerbroker; Batroc teaming up with the Flagsmashers for the big attack on the GRC; and Zemo off to the raft to become a Thunderbolt (Ross will surely appear in cameo next week?). If next Friday’s episode pays off all of the set up, it’ll be amazing. I’ve also got a sneaking feeling we just might see a tiny cameo from old man Cap. 

I also thought the Isaiah Bradley backstory was delivered really well, with lots of resonance for Sam as a black man in a racist country who’s wrestling with the notion of becoming Captain America. I think this was pretty brave of Disney to so firmly get behind the sentiments of BLM when many corporations would be more mealy mouthed at best. No punches were pulled though: there were very clear statements of fact about the racist past and present of the US.  

There will surely be some sort of resolution for Bradley next week. Sam will do something to make sure his contribution is recognised although I’m not sure what that might be. I can’t see them allowing his character to be left as he currently is, though. 

I’m a little bit disappointed that Ayo and the other Dora Milaje have apparently just gone back to Wakanda with Zemo now. They would have been great in a huge finale but I guess we’ll see more of them in Black Panther 2 and the Black Panther Disney+ spin-off series. She is a great character though.

Overall what I’ve loved most about this and WandaVision is the way you can see the whole of the MCU expanding exponentially before your eyes with what seems like hundreds of threads to future storylines appearing. There is a very strong sense that it is only really getting into third gear now which seems incredible after everything that’s gone before.

The MCU is essentially what I always wanted Star Wars to be: this huge world in which loads of interwoven stories take place in a consistent way. While I have some hopes that Star Wars is taking tentative steps to finally become that integrated universe, it took many stumbles along the way - something the MCU has always avoided in my view. 

• Upvote 5

Anubis and Paul have summed it up, I thought it was excellent - no problem with the pace or length, it's good to see them tackling issues of race, identity and family rather than charging from action scene to action scene. 

Thunderbolts is definitely happening, isn't it? Ross, Zemo, US Agent and Batroc are all set, Black Widow may well set up another member and, even without introducing any more new characters, there are loads of potential others - Luke Cage, Venom, Deadpool, Hawkeye?!

3 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Thunderbolts is definitely happening, isn't it? Ross, Zemo, US Agent and Batroc are all set, Black Widow may well set up another member and, even without introducing any more new characters, there are loads of potential others - Luke Cage, Venom, Deadpool, Hawkeye?!

Taskmaster.

• Upvote 2

If Alfred Molina’s comments in recent hours about his role in the upcoming Spider-Man film aren’t a cheeky misdirection* it looks like this film will be the first in Marvels bigger universe, ahead of the next Doctor Strange film (who is of course in this Spider-Man film) directed by Sam Rami of course. 

Shrewd move by Sony so they can break away from the MCU Spider-Man after their last fallout and start their own films again (rumours have been that they might be planning a Spider-Man 4 with Toby Maguire back in the role and Sam Rami directing again)

The much rumoured Multi-Verse angle could be all nonsense, looking forward to finding out. 

*Could be as Doctor Octopus found redemption before dying in Spider-Man 2

I've only come back to the forum for the recent developments, but I just wanted to say - this is a great thread! I love the films and the Universe but I don't know anything about the canon - the backstories and different iterations of the Universe are all new to me. This is a great thread for understanding the different plots and possible direction of the Universe! 

I think TFAWS has been excellent - I loved Wandavision, but it did feel like the premise was its main selling point. TFAWS is two great characters and a lot of welcome commentary on race. 

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed that, the best bits about the finale wasn’t even the action. 

Sam now Captain America, Recognition for Isaiah, closure and belonging for Bucky, John Walker to continue as US Agent. 

Is this a one off series? I’d like to see a continuation of the story as the Agent Carter stuff has still to play out, as does Contessa’s impact to the MCU.

Good series that tackled winder issues really well. 

So did I. I found the whole thing underwhelming, it never added up to be better than it's individual parts. All that extra time and really Karli's motivation was never fully explored. Cutting away from Bucky's difficult conversation also seemed needless since, as a TV show, there's plenty of time to have that scene. You can't have near 6 hours to tell a story and whiff on stuff like that.